Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: Wasmund's Single Malt Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_Parrott View Post
    ...it's hard to get ex-bourbon casks that small. Except from Tuthilltown. And BT, I suppose .
    I can easily buy virgin toasted or charred barrels in 1, 2, 3, and 5 gallon sizes and so can anyone else. I obtain used casks by... using a virgin barrel and then refilling it. It's not any more difficult than that. I've done it and I think you've done it, too. Except for the expense, it's no more complicated than that. Small barrels are pricey.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 02-02-2008 at 16:18.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I can easily buy virgin toasted or charred barrels in 1, 2, 3, and 5 gallon sizes and so can anyone else. I obtain used casks by... using a virgin barrel and then refilling it. It's not any more difficult than that. I've done it and I think you've done it, too. Except for the expense, it's no more complicated than that. Small barrels are pricey.

Roger
    I haven't done it. But clearly, wood that has been soaking in/processing bourbon for 4-16 years will work differently than wood that has held bourbon for a few months.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Guru

Awful... truly A-A-W-W-F-F-U-U-L-L stuff!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

i'm forced to love the idea and avoid the example.

i do happen to think that 'chipping' is a viable way to get there from here. i just don't agree with his recipe nor result. I think the chipping* needs to be with old wood, not new, partial staves of aged sherry and cognac and rum barrels, using what would otherwise be 'too old to rework'.

I think using that method you might approximate a 20 year old booze in 6 or 8 years, if you didn't distill it at a terribly high proof. say, 140 proof into the barrel and 120 proof out, cut it to 100 and call it done. Rich with flavor and old enough not to bite.. it's at least plausible..

Enthusiast

Rick is going to much older chips (it took new chips to get to old chips) and longer chipping times. The later batches (say, 13 on) show a little more smoothness. Some of the smokiness on the finish comes from his base spirit, which is quite strongly smoky.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC