Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Question Black Maple Hill 18yo

Anybody got an opinion/read on this one? Can't find much info here as most past comments have addressed the BMH 23 as well as the 15 that JVW did for them a few years ago. Thinking of getting 1 or 2 for the bunker as it has now become extremely scarce along the highways & byways where I travel. From what I can tell, not likely to be any more in the future since all the newer BMH is arriving with no age statement.

After reading so much about the rye made in the early 80s and how few sources there were, I'm wondering if the BMH 18 came from the same place(s) as the Saz 18 and VWFRR. Anybody know or venture to guess?

Re: Black Maple Hill 18yo

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    ...I'm wondering if the BMH 18 came from the same place(s) as the Saz 18 and VWFRR. Anybody know or venture to guess?

Probably. While they might not ALL be siblings, safe betting that some of them are.
    Tim

Apprentice

If you like rye, I think this is a wonderful pour. It is my favorite rye. I usually prefer it to the 23 year old.

My local liquor store told me that it is completely "supplier out of stock", and they can't order any more. I've personally bunkered a few bottles of this and am thinking of ordering more.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'd suggest Michter's 10 year old straight rye as a substitute. This Michter's is said in fact to be about 18 years old and may come from the same source. I find the tastes of both virtually the same.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I'd suggest Michter's 10 year old straight rye as a substitute. This Michter's is said in fact to be about 18 years old and may come from the same source. I find the tastes of both virtually the same.

Gary
    Thanks for the advice. I have never seen Michter's Rye in my comings & goings in Tennessee. Maybe it is out there and I just did not make a mental note of it due to the fact that only recently have I been 'turned on' to rye. I'll keep an eye out for it from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have never seen Michter's Rye in my comings & goings in Tennessee. Maybe it is out there and I just did not make a mental note of it due to the fact that only recently have I been 'turned on' to rye. I'll keep an eye out for it from now on.
    Showed up in Middle Tennessee about two years ago, and I snagged some at what was essentially half-price, because the distributor 'specialed' it. Other SB.com'ers benefitted, as I only kept a single rye.
    Can't speak for other distribution regions.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Gary
    Man o mna, I got exited then saw the price. Mitchers 10 yr is more then the BMH, atleast on Binnnys.

Virtuoso

Been searching around these parts for last couple of weeks but turned up no Michter's yet. May have to make a run to middle TN/Nashville in the future if I want one bad enough. Right now, happy with the BMH I've found. Located 1 more bottle this week but can't decide whether to drop another Franklin for extra inventory. One thing is for sure, we won't see anymore BMH rye of this age for some time to come......maybe never.

Irreverent One

Revisited this stuff last night.

Previous sampling was side-by-side with Saz 18, and although I liked the nose of the BMH, compared to the Saz 18 there was noticeably more charred wood. At that time it seemed like too much.

Last night's sampling was on-its-own.

This whiskey has an amazingly strong maple nose, along with caramel, rye and a little oak. First sip had a bit of burn, but this wasn't apparent on subsequent sips. Flavors of maple, spice, rye and, yes, charred oak, but this time around it wasn't objectionable. Finish was smooth, with rye dominant.

I still consider the Saz 18 to be my favorite rye, but this is an acceptable substitute until I find more of the Saz (likely to be a challenge). I believe I've seen it at a store in a nearby town, at a price of $109. I'm pretty sure the bottle I have cost $83 (Christmas gift from my wife, 2006).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

BMH 18yo rye is very good. It benefits a lot from opening up as you get through the bottle. I actually drank 1/2 a bottle, then decanted into a 375ml and put it away for 6 months. After its 'sleep' it was twice as good!

I do see it from time to time, but at the $95 it is usually priced at, I pass.

Mitchters 10yo Rye is most definitely 18yo or more and quite good, similar to Saz-18.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)