Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Old Find from a New Member - Need Info

Howdy folks,

I happened on this forum while researching an old bottle. I've read through a bunch of the posts and I have to say I'm impressed with this community.

My name is Geoff, I'm generally a Scotch drinker, but I don't refuse a good Bourbon when it's offered. I'll also have the occasional Canadian, or any other good spirit.

On to this bottle: While cleaning out the in-law's house recently as prelude to a renovation, an old pint bottle of Echo Spring Kentucky Bourbon was discovered hidden away in the rafters upstairs. Just how old is part of what I'm trying to determine.

It still has the original, unbroken, tax paid stamp, with the 9 digit serial? number printed on it. There is no UPC code. I know that this brand is now under the Heaven Hill umbrella, but my research indicates that current production is 4 year old, 80 proof. This bottle has a label that says it is 5 year old, 86 proof.

I'm interested in finding out a few things: 1. Can this bottle be accurately dated? Maybe by cross referencing the tax paid label? 2. Is this stuff any good? I'm told that this is the brand that my wife's grandfather used to drink (it may be his bottle) and he was known for enjoying life's finer pleasures. 3. Would this be something a collector might be interested in?

Bottom line is I'm trying to figure out what to do with this stuff. Should I hog it for myself, cause it's so good (or maybe let one or two of my best friends try it?) Should I push it off on my lesser friends cause it's so bad? Or should I sell it cause it's valuable?

What would you do?

Thanks very much for reading this far. Any info you could send my way would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Re: Old Find from a New Member - Need Info

It's likely to be more fun as a snapshot in time than as a great whiskey or a valuable bottle. It's collectibility may be mostly that it has good label art and would look good in a curio cabinet.

Is the bottle metric (ie 375ml)? If so, that pushes into the late '70s or '80s
    A true tax stamp indicates '82 or earlier

I can just make out that it says Frankfort, but can't read the rest of the line. That indicates pre-HH ownership.

I'd line it up with an Ancient Age and a Heaven Hill of similar age and proof and compare with some friends for a fun time. You may find that a stated 5 years in a 1970s-80s (?) bottling was actually filled with some pretty good juice because of the glut.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 02-02-2008 at 11:29.

Novice

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. This bottle is pre-metric. There is a bottle imprint (raised letters) that reads "One Pint". And yes, it is a true tax stamp.

Geoff.

Novice

Also,

The label reads: "Louisville, Kentucky & Frankfort, Kentucky"

Virtuoso

We should be able to figure this out, then, right?

Who was operating in both Frankfort and Louisville?
    My WAG is that Somerset Importers was buying or had purchased whiskey from ND or whoever owned Ancient Age and was bottling it at S-W. This would put this bottle squarely in the '70s.

Guru

Look on the bottom of the bottle and see if there is a 2 digit year stamp evident. That date is the bottle manufacture date which will give you an idea of the year of distillation.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

It's not too dissimilar to either example you can see here:
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/miniature/smallworld/
    Thus, I would guess it to be late-'60s, early-'70s vintage.
    Tim

Novice

As you can see from the photo, there are several things on the bottom of the bottle. I think the most significant is the bottom one which reads: "22 17A 72". Incidentally, the top line reads: "16222" and "LOU-02", with some kind of a trademark in between that I can't make out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

I would guess 1972 off the numbers but the TE steel cap makes me think late 70's early 80's! I have a 750ml of this open currently and it's young, not bad but I would not call it great. Cheap enough to be a mixer or with a little ice!

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

From what I know and can see....I would guess that that bottle is fron UD/Schenley in 1972. Schenley owned many different distlilleries includeing BT, Bernheim, Dant, etc. in those days. Also a few in other states.

I have tasted a few bourbons from Schenley in those days....they are not as fat and sassy as the ND from the same time period. Though, I feel safe in saying that the bourbon is probably a little better than what the label is recieveing today. The color of the booze is not very dark in hue, so it is probably around the stated age of 5 years.
    Give it a shot! I would really like to have one of my Grandfathers bottles to sample from.

Jeff Mo.