Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Baffled by Pappy 15

Baffled by its complexity, that is.

For better or worse one of the first "good" bourbons I purchased was a recent PVW15. And I loved it. I read a little and figured I might be a wheat guy and picked up a few other wheated bourbons (Weller 12 and 107, Old Fitz and Very Old Fitz 12). I liked them (especially the Weller 12) but didn't find them nearly as interesting as the high rye bourbons I've been buying, and my tastes seem to be leaning toward that style.

Still, I haven't had another bourbon (out of the 30 or so I've acquired) that exhibits the range of flavors and delicious uniqueness of the PVW15. I'm trying to identify what is responsible but I just cannot put my finger on it. I know there are a huge number of variables that affect the final product but can anyone suggest why this product is just so darn tasty and unique? Perhaps it's just my inexperience with bourbon...?

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Re: Baffled by Pappy 15

You've gone and done it.

Found the Holy Grail without a long search.

You can retire from Bourbon.

Nothing left.

Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

There is always single malts.

No seriously, Pappy 15 is very good but (to me anyway) it represents only part of the bourbon spectrum. As good as it is, one wouldn't want I think always to drink the same bourbon. And (ultimately) one can tire of almost anything. Trying other parts of the spectrum would allow an appreciation of, say, bourbons in the 4-6 years range, or 6-10, or made with rye as the flavor grain, or of straight ryes on their own and in these age bands, and so forth. All these have their own characteristics and can be pleasing as such. It just adds variety.

Gary

Taster

PVW15 seems to be my consistent favorite, a bit more character and octane than the 20, but the 20 is smoother and so is the lot B with a little less character.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle View Post
    You've gone and done it.

Found the Holy Grail without a long search.

You can retire from Bourbon.

Nothing left.

......And, since you have found the Grail, you will have little use for the other "30 or so" you have acquired which means they would find welcome homes among your many friends here.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    There is always single malts.
    I'll save you some time and trouble: Highland Park 25yo.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post
    Baffled by its complexity, that is.

...can anyone suggest why this product is just so darn tasty and unique? Perhaps it's just my inexperience with bourbon...?
    If you haven't acquired the barrel proof BTAC bottles, get some. In fact, get all of them. I found the '07 Saz at 90 proof to be quite zippy....it really woke my mouth up. The barrel strength bottles have the added benefit of being able to alter the proof to your particular taste. I wouldn't suggest though that you drink the Stagg at 144 proof.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I wouldn't suggest though that you drink the Stagg at 144 proof.
    Come on now Greg!

I actually find the Stagg straight to my liking. Very, very, very small sips...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Come on now Greg!

I actually find the Stagg straight to my liking. Very, very, very small sips...
    VERY small! I find the high proof tends to mask the flavors and deadens the taste buds after a while. While I have had all the BTAC at their bottled proof, I like to wake up the flavors and save my palate by cutting it down. Besides, cutting the proof makes the bottle last longer. Go ahead....call me a wimp...I can take it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

I am anxious to try the BTAC products but as a resident of WA state I fear I am doomed to never find any in my state liquor stores. I visit family in CA each summer (bay area) so there's a chance I could find some there when I visit. Anyone on the board have any tips on how to track down any BTAC products?? Thanks!