Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Bourbon QPR 2008

Quote Originally Posted by tsangster View Post
    Saw a 2007 Stagg on the shelf last week with a $199.99 price tag. Relatively speaking, my $57 bottle was a steal.
    That's crazy. Where was it?

Dumb ole me, QPR? What does that mean, Quality Price Ratio? Obviously I get the gist of the thread, so:

I'd say AAA no doubt for the $13.99 I paid in Illinois is up there. Also the EW BiB for $9.99 is hard to beat especially at 100proof. Give me those two cheapies and throw in a Weller SR and I could be perfectly happy as a budget drinker.

I am going to agree with Leif on the OFBB, one of my new favorites. I'll eat crow on the fact that I dissed the bottle shape for so long only to discover I love the bourbon inside. And for under $40 now when all the other premium limited editions are easily exceeding $50 and $60 a bottle, well, it is a bargain!

Fighting Cock when compared to EW BiB may not seem so great but around here at about $16 and at 103 proof is quite attractive.

Great thread Jeff.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    That's crazy. Where was it?
    Athens, GA.

I've been told by the store owner that BTAC is unavailable in GA. Apparently he's received numerous requests and felt that some desperate soul would be willing to pay 3X the value. I'm counting on it being a future dusty find. At the current rate of inflation it should be a deal in about 48 years. Might even grab the $300 Pappy 23 sitting beside it as well.
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA

Disciple

I agree with all the selectons so far.... the only one I could add is Tom Moore Bib. It sells for about $20/ 1.75. Very affordable on any budget especially when OGD Bib 750ml sells for $19. BTW, the T. Moore also taste better.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tsangster View Post
    Athens, GA.

I've been told by the store owner that BTAC is unavailable in GA. Apparently he's received numerous requests and felt that some desperate soul would be willing to pay 3X the value. I'm counting on it being a future dusty find. At the current rate of inflation it should be a deal in about 48 years. Might even grab the $300 Pappy 23 sitting beside it as well.
    If he's telling the truth that the BTAC is not available in Georgia from a distributor, then he's breaking the law by selling it. He must buy his liquor from a distributor.

Taster

I'll put another vote in for Evan Williams. For under $10 it is great. It ok neat, pretty good on the rocks, and cheap enough I don't hesitate to mix it with ginger ale. Old Ftiz BIB is another bottle, I think maybe about $10-$11, that I like. Old Charter 10 YO is about $15 here in Chicago and it is another. I normally can get BT for under $20 at Binnys, as well as OGD BIB. Even the Four Roses Yellow label is only $17-$18 and I enjoy that quite a lot as well. I rarely spend more then $25-$30 dollars a bottle. There is plenty of good stuff in that range.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Enthusiast

Is it too soon to start a thread about "Bourbon QPR 2009?" Being new around here, I wasn't sure if I should start it, but I am curious about opinions on how things may have changed over the past year. I searched and didn't find a 2009 thread.
    Last edited by George; 01-16-2009 at 09:08.

Guru

George,
    good job on reviving an old thread,
    you'll probably get some responses,
    if not there is still good info in here.
    ovh

Enthusiast

I drink a lot of Old Overholt rye @ $11/750. Wellers is still a good buy at $20-$24/1.75, and I can still buy Buffalo Trace 750ml for less than $20 if I shop around.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Enthusiast

Probably the best bang for buck around Chicagoland is Very Old Barton. The BIB is $12 a bottle, the 90, 86 and 80 proof expressions are slightly less. All have a 6 year age statement, but the ones that aren't Bottled in Bond can contain much older whiskey if they feel like throwing it in.

And, it's very tasty whiskey that will impress your friends.