Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Looking at Pictures taken by someone else and an old Broshure with an aerial Picutre of the Plant I saw something that I never noticed when I worked at Kinsey! Building Q had a fire Observation Room on top of its Fire Escape. I had when I worked the yard gang helped to sweep the stairs down on many of them as dead birds and dust the stairways were only entered by the ground door the roof door or the special door on each floor that went out to a small porch and you would open a door into the tower to get out. bottom floor you could not go in them. They were also Explosion proof and each one like the next except for Building Q which had a room with windows that would open and 3 directions around the Plant and a small tower atop the room. I am going to check this as soon as I can and get some better Pictures and information. This does not surprise me as they even had Fire Hydrants in the woods around the plant!
    I will tell more after I get a chance to check it out! Every one of the 1892 Wood and Brick Warehouses was sprinkled and had some Heat and they had fire drills once a month near them. I have found Papers from the 1950's about each months drill. Going in Building H of the old ones I found my Dads Nick name on one of the Wood barrel Rails it said Ziggy 1952!
    Dave Z

Disciple

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Dave has been kind enough to share some photos from the Kinsey Plant in Limerick Pa. This first group is of the Fire Watch Tower on Building Q. It overlooked the massive complex, somewhere around 300-400 acers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

The first five are of Building Q. Pic 5 are stallagtites forming on the ceiling. The last two are of the weigh and blending room near the steer pins at the back of the property.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

The first two pics are of Building J. Three is a 120 gallon corn whiskey barrel. Four...what is left of one of the steer pins. Five is what remains of the old pump house. Six...the plant was so concerned with safety that it placed fire hydrents, a hundred yards away from the distillieries, in the woods.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

These are the last four I have at hand....1. Tele poles leading back to the Kinsey House. 2.&3. The Kinsey House. 4. A case of Embassy Club whiskey restored by Dave Z.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Maybe Dave could fill us in on the details and specifics?

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

I am very Happy to share these Pictures I took this Past Sat and will send more to Jeff to put on soon my computor at home has trouble sizing right so I sent these by way of my work computor to Jeff and he was Kind enough to post them for me! I have Many neat pictures through the years and will be sending ones of the Still, mash tanks which I got from someone who got there before they were tore down and some pictures I took this past Thanksgiving day of the old 1892 Kinsey Bottling House. The fire tower was built on top of the fire escape on Building Q it is the only escape with this, and most amazing in design. It had heating pipes which you can see on the Pictures have little fins to give off heat. On top of the room is another higher small room with two windows also heated. It looks out over the whole plant and this building sits on the highest point of the plant!
    I took pictures from the roof even though a few years ago Kids must have set fire to some old Corn whiskey barrels on the third floor and the hole in the wall was done by the fire company. After all these years the building is still solid and no parts of the wall have fallen I walked right up to the hole in the wall. The Stalagtites are on the third floor because of the water laying in there from years ago when they put the fire out. The fire watch room has has a small wood table where they kept their Binoculars and stuff. The Heat Valve still turns. It must have gotten so hot up there from the fire the glass in the windows melted onto the sill and the frame buckled but the building is still solid.
    The Pad pictue and wall are the steer pens of which Kinsey had 10 going down to the Kinsey house. The 120 Gal Corn Whisky barrels are on the second floor of Q Building and dated 1962. The cases of empty bottles are in Building J. Old Hickory Inver Inver House Red Plaid and others sat there for close to 30 years never labeled or filled. The Embassy club box is one of only two that at one time had whiskey in them they were smashed and Broken this one I got for my friend who goes with me as not a place to go by yourself. I restored it and sealed it in Plastic I learned how to do that stuff as a kid working in a old Car museum and now apply it to old Distillery stuff! The weigh building #38 on my Kinsey chart aireal Picture is a blend tank and weigh station at the back of the Plant just before the place the steer Pens were. Two years ago the Phone and Electric wires were still on the poles all the way down to the Kinsey house at the river. One of the Fire Hydrents is over a mile away from the front of the plant out in the woods! They had many Fire Hydrents in the woods all around the plant. In there time Kinsey was one of the safest Distillerys in the world and no one I have ever heard of was hurt bad at Kinsey! My backup Phone is an old Rotory wall phone from Kinsey Building M which I had a friend who worked for ATT & T for 40 years put on the right wires for modern use He said it was a 1940 phone that was rebuilt in 1970 He showed me on it. When people I know call me and I see it on caller ID I answer Kinsey Distillery a Division of Continental Distilling always gets them going!
    Dave

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    The first five are of Building Q. Pic 5 are stallagtites forming on the ceiling. The last two are of the weigh and blending room near the steer pins at the back of the property.
    This building #38 weigh and blending building had two large tanks inside it and had windows facing Sunrise and fornt ones sunset to help light it well, was al the way at the back of the plant. I have some pictures of the tanks in it which will be posted another time.
    Dave

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Picture number two this set is standing on the roof of Building Q looking to the front of the Plant Even though the building has been on fire the roof was fine I walked half way out and I don't like height! The top is also one foot thick Explosion Proof Cement with tar and then small stones. When I started at Kinsey They were having some of the roofs fixed up, they used grain elevators to take stone uo to the top where someone with a wheel barrow would move it where needed on the roof I remember the bundels of tar being lifed up with a chain lift on the steel beams that sitck out on all the roofs! These are the strongest Buildings I have ever seen and were the strongest ones Publicker owned built in 1934 a credit to safety and engineering! Kinsey was through all the Years Publicker exsisted their Show Place even old company broshures state it is a beautiful place.
    When I walked around the second floor after all these years with no whiskey anywhere you could still smell the Corn whiskey in the air!
    Dave

Disciple

There are two DSP #'s for the Kinsey operation. These pic's are of DSP#10. It was used for their rye distilling, IIRC. Dave will be able to fill in the blanks.

Jeff Mo.