Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

The 1966 Bottle House was state of the art in it's day. The largest single floor warehouse for quite some distance. The 1966 BH had had docks and rail loading accross the whole front. Dave can tell the stories since he worked there for a few years.
    The first pic is a BROCHURE, very usefull for figureing out where all these builings are. Bottom right- is the 1892 complex. Warehouses D and E and the long bottle house. Just to the right of those but not too visible is the Rye still. Next to that...the white building is DSP# 12. Then as you follow around counter clockwise there are grain silos and plant maintenence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mozilla; 02-12-2008 at 12:22.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

These are pic's of the second floor of the Bottle House. Dave can explain what a Cat and An ion machines are for.
    Last edited by mozilla; 02-12-2008 at 11:38.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

If you have not guessed it......this place is huge! This set deals with the front gate, a stencil used for DSP# 10 Rye, 2 of the barrel rails heading from the rye still in between 1892 warehouses D and E to the 1892 Bottling House(bottom right of brochure). Next, a very old bulb from the bottling house and last is a sign leading you to the distillery
    Last edited by mozilla; 02-12-2008 at 12:26.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Post #10 are all pictures I took last fall of the Kinsey DSP#10 Rye building for some reason the site had two Dsp numbers #!0 for the Rye Building which is what Jacob Kinsey made alot of in the early days and DSP#12 the number of the Still that was there when I worked there and #12 used on all the buildings. They both were Continental's after 1939 when they bought Kinsey. The building goes back to the begining of the place and is really a large Barn and had large tanks. Behind the building out front were a set of Rails to roll the barrels right into the first Barrel warehouses wood & Brick with wood racks. Buildings D & E. 1892. The last Picture if you enlarge it you can clearly see Kinsey Rye in stencil and #10. such a shame the roof is gone but the old wood stair is still in good shape I am trying to get the Limerick Historic Society to ask the owner for it as would be a great thing to preserve as the very first still when Kinsey opened was number ten shown in an old picture of the place in 1892 it sat out in the open with no cover!
    Continental's DSP was #1 and all the drinking Alcohol was made at DSP#1 in Phila after the mid 1950's. I do not know the exact date but when my Dad worked there in 1950 they made Old Hickory there at DSP #12.
    The next pictures I sent Jeff will be of the 1892 Kinsey Bottling House which was also behind the #10 building so you could roll the barrels right up to the Bottling house! Most people have no Idea the old Bottle house is even there but I went in there a few times to do cleaning when I was on the yard gang and was amazed at watching the Liqiours being made I will talk about that with the pictures of it! They used the 1892 Kinsey Bottle house right up till 1979 for Liqiuors when they quit the Bussiness and my Bottles of Peanut Liqiuor were done in that neat old Building. I wish I could buy the Place and restore it to the days when it was the most beautiful Distillery in America! And as their old Broshure says It was a beautiful and Peaceful place with lovely Lawns and everything painted and everything kept up even if not used the Way Mr Simon Neuman wanted it!
    Dave

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    These are pic's of the second floor of the Bottle House. Dave can explain what a Cat and An ion machines are for.
    Post #12 These are pictures I took last Thanksgivng of the Kinsey 1892 Bottling house which was used for Liquiors till the Place closed in 1979. The tanks Cationic which means Positive Charge and Anionic which means Negitive charge were used for the bottling of Liqiuors! The Cationic tank would put a positive Charge on the bottle and the Liquid sugar would fly to the sides of the Bottle then the Negitive would kick in as the bottle filled up it would release as the Liquior would go in till it was full and give a perfect mix of Alcohol and Sugar! The first time I went in we were cleaning and I watched for a bit it was something I have never forgotten. A wand would go in the bottle and the sugar would just fly againest the sides of the bottle then the Liquior would go in and as it did and filled the sugar would drop off and go right in the liquior for a perfect mix! The Light Bulb picture is a Light bulb I got from there it is a GE Edison style bulb and about 100 years old when I worked there many of these 150 watt oldies were still at work! The other pictures are of the second floor of the place note the Green Light cover most of these had the Edison type Bulbs in them! There is also a Picture of the delivery Door! I am very lucky to have many bottles of Peanut lolita which is a peanut Liquior they made and as far as I can find on the web they were the only company to make a Peanut Liquior. It is wonderful and made with Bourbon 53 proof I drink it with beer It will be a sad day when it is all gone It is an amazingly tasty Product.
    When I went to clean the Kinsey Bottle house they were very excited as they got a large order to make Liquiors for Jacquins and as always we used are Liquior to make it!
    Dave

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Post #12 These are pictures I took last Thanksgivng of the Kinsey 1892 Bottling house which was used for Liquiors till the Place closed in 1979. The tanks Cationic which means Positive Charge and Anionic which means Negitive charge were used for the bottling of Liqiuors! The Cationic tank would put a positive Charge on the bottle and the Liquid sugar would fly to the sides of the Bottle then the Negitive would kick in as the bottle filled up it would release as the Liquior would go in till it was full and give a perfect mix of Alcohol and Sugar! The first time I went in we were cleaning and I watched for a bit it was something I have never forgotten. A wand would go in the bottle and the sugar would just fly againest the sides of the bottle then the Liquior would go in and as it did and filled the sugar would drop off and go right in the liquior for a perfect mix! The Light Bulb picture is a Light bulb I got from there it is a GE Edison style bulb and about 100 years old when I worked there many of these 150 watt oldies were still at work! The other pictures are of the second floor of the place note the Green Light cover most of these had the Edison type Bulbs in them! There is also a Picture of the delivery Door! I am very lucky to have many bottles of Peanut lolita which is a peanut Liquior they made and as far as I can find on the web they were the only company to make a Peanut Liquior. It is wonderful and made with Bourbon 53 proof I drink it with beer It will be a sad day when it is all gone It is an amazingly tasty Product.
    When I went to clean the Kinsey Bottle house they were very excited as they got a large order to make Liquiors for Jacquins and as always we used are Liquior to make it!
    Dave
    I see the Light bulb is in another post it is very neat and never burned out I got it from an area that had been on fire sadly!
    Dave

Disciple

Dave

Disciple

The 1966 Bottle House was state of the art in it's day. The largest single floor warehouse for quite some distance. The 1966 BH had had docks and rail loading accross the whole front. Dave can tell the stories since he worked there for a few years.
    The first pic is a BROCHURE, very usefull for figureing out where all these builings are. Bottom right- is the 1892 complex. Warehouses D and E and the long bottle house. Just to the right of those but not too visible is the Rye still. Next to that...the white building is DSP# 12. Then as you follow around counter clockwise there are grain silos and plant maintenence.
    Post number 11 is the 1966 Bottling House which opened in 1966 the year I started there. It was building U on the old chart before being made into a state of the art Bottling house that year. The Aerial Picture is from a old Company Broshure when they were trying to save the place by subletting some of it! I found an old Paper saying they thought they had a deal to convert some of the Warehouses to freezers for Osgar Meyer but it fell through and in Spring 1986 the place closed forever. This building is also explosion proof and goes the whole front of the plant. The big Tanks at the back brought the Product in to be bottled and there are lots of tanks inside at the far end also. I went in there one time its a mess now but at that end each line is marked what is coming in with metal wall markers they say Boubon, Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, Rum!
    The Publicker sign greets you when you come in the front then the guard house and then the Gates that say Linfield Industial Park! The front of the bottling house could do two to three box cars and yet still have trucks loading and unloading to. Every year at about Aug on the Place would have box car after box car getting loaded with Liquoirs for the Holidays. Those days 600 people worked in the plant. Three sifts sometimes in the bottling and always two sifts. The company had its own railroad bridge that came in between the one old Warehouse and the still site! As Jeff has said the Picture shows the old 1892 part of the plant to the far right #12 Still, the Boiler room Maintaince for the Plant Grain silos #10 Rye Building warehouses D&E the old bottling house, and not there anymore now was a small plant office right beside the 1892 Bottle house. The Plant manager was Harold Reinert. When the bottle house was warehouse U it was the worlds largest one floor Barrel warehouse! I worked there for over 5 years and it was a great place to work.
    Dave Z

Disciple

This next group is all DSP# 12. This building has been torn down for a while. 1. mashtubs 2. malt tank 3. DSP#12 4. same 5. all gone 6.&7. Boilers and Tanks 8. Controll Room 9. What remains looking toward the Grain Silos
    Last edited by mozilla; 02-13-2008 at 07:13.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Here is the next group: 1-4 are of the 1892 group. Grain Silos and Plant Maintenance. 5(they had closed a bottling plant in Phili. to consolidate),6,7,8 &10 are of the 1966 Bottle House and operations vehicles. 9 is of 1892 Warehouse H. 11 & 12 are close-ups of the Silos 13-16 are of the Plant Maintenance facility.
    Last edited by mozilla; 02-13-2008 at 07:17.

Jeff Mo.