Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

These pics were taken this last weekend by Dave. These are of the upper rooms of the fire observation room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    These pics were taken this last weekend by Dave. These are of the upper rooms of the fire observation room.
    If you look closely there is a metal Ladder on the side of the Fire Observation room to climb up to the roof and a set of stairs that takes you into this very strange sort of Extra fire watch room, by looking at it you can see the reason for it is to have a look to the East of the plant without the roof being in your view. There is a heating Pipe like the big room and a explosion proof Light, but there is also a very large open square section where there is no floor and there must have been some kind of grating that fell apart after the heat from the fire there had been on the third flood when someone set off some barrels that still had whiskey in them. But what is really odd is besides the openable Window there is one just below it with no access and if you look over the edge you find that once the grating was gone it is a shaft straight down into a sealed Brick wall section all the way to the bottom with no access below went down and looked no windows below other then the one in the room and the one you can see looking at the big picture of the whole room setup. I was not about to get to close to that edge if you fell in there the only way out would be to knock a hole in the wall down below and the fall would kill you. Wish I knew what the rods held there must have been something strong as you stand on it to open the window and to change to light buld also. It is the Highest spot in the Plant and looking from that direction you can really see to the East where there are and were Farm fields. Maybe it was just put on to make it stonger besides giving a window to look to the East? But why a Grate with no way to replace it and no way to get into this sealed hollow shaft.
    Dave Z

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Dave has been kind enough to share some photos from the Kinsey Plant in Limerick Pa. This first group is of the Fire Watch Tower on Building Q. It overlooked the massive complex, somewhere around 300-400 acers.
    Just a quick note to Add if my old School friend since 10 years old Don did not go with me on these trips I could not get these pictures of the fire tower and others as having been so sick last year I can't go places where there would be no one to help me and he also climbed the ladder to take the pictures of the little top room on the tower this past sat the last set on this thread of it I did the rest but a ladder on the side of a roof I could not do. Dave z

Disciple

Very recent photos of the fire room and surrounding area:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

recent pic's of the Weigh and Blend Building #38:

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Dave has been kind enough to share some photos from the Kinsey Plant in Limerick Pa. This first group is of the Fire Watch Tower on Building Q. It overlooked the massive complex, somewhere around 300-400 acers.
    Wednesday when I talked to Ludy who worked there 43 years he told me something very interesting about the Fire tower It seems they would set Labeled Bottles up there to test the labels Fading and holding up. This solved a mistery for me as when I went in it I went all the way down to the botom and saw many broken bottles there and I wondered then how they got there and why! I guess when it was abandon they sat there and Kids that got in and ruined things throw them down the steps so that is now solved!
    Dave

Disciple

There are two DSP #'s for the Kinsey operation. These pic's are of DSP#10. It was used for their rye distilling, IIRC. Dave will be able to fill in the blanks.
    Last night when I gave a talk about the Kinsey Distillery to the Limerick Historic Society a Man to whom Jacob Kinsey was his great Uncle told me about DSP# 10 the Kinsey Rye Still. He worked there and he said #10 was a Column or Contiuous still or also called a Patent Still. They also had the very First Bottling Line in the Old Kinsey #10 Barn of which the Pictures in this thread are of. If you look on the Old ladder you can see Kinsey #10 stenciled on it. This was where after Publicker Bought Kinsey that they made the First Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey and some of the Bourbons. Continental had two DSP's there #10 and the Old Number #12 I have talked about so much. It is amazing when you look at the building that DSP # 10 is in, it is basicly an old Stone Barn that Jacob Kinsey had built! He also told me that during Prohibtion Mr Kinsey Went to Germany to study Brewing as He was also interested in it. Once Prohibition ended Fall 1933 He reopened the Distillery and started making Whiskeys but the Money he lost in the time before reopening and his age late 75 going till 1939 / 1940, 82 years old forced him to have it go up for auction.
    This is the story of Jacob G Kinsey Master Distiller! Also His Great nephew told me that Mr Kinsey lived to be 94 years old. So from a school teacher to a owner of a Creamery to a Master Distiller is the story of Jacob G Kinsey A Giant in the early days of Whiskey Distilling in the USA!
    Dave Z

Disciple

Speaking of the Explosion proof warehouses each building when I started there had 999,000 barrels of aging whiskey in them 333,000 per floor and 14 million in the whole plant at that time! even the old brick and wood rack buildings were full saw stuff dated 1950, 1955 ect and such that may have been some of the stock they used later when they brought out their 20 anniversary Old Hickory Bourbon I don't know but old stuff was there! If you had ever been in the plant you would be amazed at the build of the 1944 Explosion Proof Warehouses over a foot thick walls, floors and ceilings. Special vent fans light heating to keep it just the right coolness and as I have said everything sealed lights switches Phones in certain places heavy steel roll doors. I wish someone would use them for Condos and not tear them down they were so strong they were a civil defense site in case of Atomic attack in the late 1940's 1950's. When you go in certain ones you can still smell whiskey coming out of the heavy Cement Floors. They were built of explosion proof Brick & Teracotta Cement with one inch thick heavy Rods. The one the People set fire in years and years ago was not even harmed by the fire of the old whiskey that was there, a little chipping of a few bricks that is all it would be a crime to tear them down. You could call them the Condo's at Kinsey Distillery and give each one a Whiskey name Like Old Hickory Building, Kinsey Silver warehouse Condo ect! If they would have been people of Vision those days the Township should be bought and preserved the Still buildings out front as a living history Museum and the Then the buildings could have been made into beautiful places to live in a living history setting but people do not have vision or forthought today. It is a, I want my Cash right now world! You could have kept up the Flowers and lawns and the trees and the Old Kinsey house could have been made into a Fine Resturant and served Beer and Whiskey lots of room 200 acre's I wish I would have had lots of Money I would have done as Si Neuman did go for it and worry later!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 05-07-2008 at 07:17.

Disciple

I have been thinking about some of the People that worked for Kinsey and one of them Was Charlie Sipler. Charlie hung out in the old Grain building next to the old Kinsey grain Silo. In the Early Am when I came in about 7:00-AM you would hear a roar coming out of the garage door on the bottow floor. A minute or two later Charlie would roar out in his home made Buggy. It was a Ford Frame think Model T with a chair bolted on the frame open engine compartment, no fenders, stick shift and a flat bed. Charlie was our maintaince Carpenter and a very good one. I can still see him roaring out he would fly in the thing with his pipe in his mouth off he would go to wherever he was needed. He was a good old guy and I always enjoyed talking to him about the old Days at Kinsey. End of the day Charlie would head back to the old Building he was the only one to use it and go up to his shower He had set up there get cleaned up and day was over.
    Dave Z
    ======================================

Disciple

I often think back about things at Kinsey and I am remembering break times there, things were simple back then, we had an old time Soda machine they cost about a dime and were in glass bottles. We had A treat Soda's from Allentown and they were dam good and cold! Also Cig's were about .35 a pack and we had a machine in there and also a candy and cracker machine, an old time hand wash Sink we called it a "Bird" "Bath" and some times guys would get pushed in and get wet! Alot of times we would not want in the Summer to leave the Warehouse as so cool there to ride in the heat on the back of the truck to take us there! We would either play cards or Dice then. In my mind we were better off then People today where there are lots of choices and people waste so much money on junk food and stuff they can do with out. Give me a .10 sonda 05. pack of Crackes and just relaxing. We did are jobs in a calm way then and the goal was to do the job right and not get hurt not like the presure people have today or the way people have gotten lazy not wanting to do anything. Those days you had personal responiblity. We got paid good had good insurance and liked our jobs Life was so simple! And We had Fun working!! There is something to be proud about having worked there and for the most part everyone enjoyed their jobs. And if we were poor we sure did not know it!
    Dave Z
    ----------=============----------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-11-2008 at 12:12.