Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Here is a picture from an early Photo around Late 1933 of Our Products back then.
    1. Picture shows are earliest brands Envoy Club Whiskey, Snug Harbor and Sweep Stakes Straight Whiskey. plus good old Dixie belle Gin and another early gin Caledonia Gin. I am lucky enough to have a Envoy Club Bottle and a Snug Harbor Bottle both late 1933 Products. I also have a couple of Sweep Stakes Straight Whiskey Bottles.

Snug Harbor acording to My Friend who was High up in the Marketing part of the Company was if not the First one of the Very first drinking Whiskeys Continental Distilling made when Prohibition ended!

I got this picture from my friend Butch and I will post a picture of My Envoy Club and Snug Harbor Bottles here soon.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    The Best Old Fashioneds Are, You'll Find
    The Mellow, Made
    With Kinsey Kind!
    Dave Z
    Very interesting texture on the large bottle, Dave. Looking forward to seeing the Snug Harbor and Sweep Stakes bottles too. Thanks!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Unclebunk I will post some pictures of Old Continental Bottles if possible this week on this thread! Been doing nothing but shoveling Snow and working lately.
    Dave Z
    ================================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments

Disciple

As promised Unclebunk here are a few of my Rare Publicker Bottles.
    1.Envoy Club 1933 fall empty. The next two were full when I got them Hallers Straight Rye and Phliadelphia Striaght Rye, a gift from my friend who was high up in Marketing late 1930's They taste wonderful
    2. Sweep Stakes Striaght Whiskey / Keystone Striaght rye empty when bought
    3. Sweep Stakes Blended / Patrician Striaght Bourbon empty when I got them
    4. Original 1930's / 40's Rittenhouse Rye / bottle Snug Harbor Blended Whiskey one of the very first bottles of Whiskey to be made by Continental this one late 1933 Empty when I got them.
    5. Kinsey Gold, Embassy Club Whiskey 1940's. empty when I go them

I will post some more pictures of Old Products of ours soon!
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Great photos! You are for Kinsey what I am trying to be for Michter's. I love following your research and additions to your collection. It keeps me motivated to keep going ahead with Michter's!

On a side note, I bought a ton of Michter's stuff yesterday and in the box were test bottles of Jacquin's liqueurs that Michter's was producing for them. So it seems Jacquin's wasn't just buying off Continental in the 70's, they were also patronizing their smaller friends to the west too.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    These are the last four I have at hand....1. Tele poles leading back to the Kinsey House. 2.&3. The Kinsey House. 4. A case of Embassy Club whiskey restored by Dave Z.
    I used to live in that house. ;-)
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Disciple

Hey Chuck good to see you post here, I mowed the lawn many times at the Old House by the river when you were living there and Always enjoyed talking to Your Grandfather Mr Bryant who had the Plant running very good while he was there and Mr Neuman was alive! Everyone in the Bottle house had great respect For Mr Bryant and I always called him Sir in respect to him.
    Dave Z
    ==============================================

Disciple

The years I worked in the Warehouses one of the most important jobs was the dumping of Barrels in the troughs for a trip to stainless tanks and then the Bottle house. As we took the Barrels out of the racks we rolled them to the Trough and the most important thing when doing this was the timing of the Bung to be down when it got on the trough at spots all along the trough!

I will never forget one day when I was in Jack Raysor's gang and we had a new Guy who had been a sargent in the Army for 20 years. He worked very hard but his big problem was the rolling of the Barrels.

He was not satisfiyed with just rolling them in Line, He would slid them side to side to make them a perfect line! It did not matter if we were racking or just moving them to another warehouse to dump but this day he was on Jacks gang and he was so busy sliding them side to side that he paid no attention to where the Bungs would fall when they got to him at the end of the line.

Everyone was timed wrong and Jack who when he got Mad not offten but when he did blew his stack. He said don't EVER Let me see you playing with moving the barrels side to side to make the Line Perfect when we are going to dump.

I don't give a dam if you want to work twice as hard when we are moving them from a building making them line perfect. From now on You will be called LINE UM UP LOUIE, His name was Lou and from that day we used to sing Line um up Louie when ever he worked with us.

I don't remember ever having him in a gang I was in ever again after a couple of months and I think he did not work there long after that. Jack was so mad his face turned red, we had to move them all off and reset everyone of them for the right timing.
    This is just one of Many stories I remember from the days of Kinsey.

We also had a fellow who would take his Morning break eating crackers on the toilet not a good place for that and his name was Jim.

Many of us played dice during Break rather then travel to the lunch room if we were in the back of the Plant as it took to long riding on the flat bed of the Old 1952 Dodge Flat truck down to the break room and back when break was over.

We always had guys who liked to mix bottles with Ginger ALe And Whiskey at Break time so the Ginger Ale in our old soda machine was out of it most mornings.

Even though there was alot of Drinking those days, they were also a group of very hard working men who always got the days work done right and our Final product some of the best Whiskeys ever made. And the most important thing unlike the Phila plant we never had a fire or People Killed at Kinsey!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =====
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-04-2011 at 10:02.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Dave, I am just curious whether any females worked in any of the warehouse jobs in that era, or was it all men? Can you recall any women workers in the production part of the facility?

Gary

Disciple

Gary when I worked there it was all men, but when Mr Neuman died and they were moving out all the Whiskey in the early 1980's Sandy who had worked on the Bottling lines for many years in the Bottle house worked in the warehouse's.

Somewhere back in my posts is a picture with Her Name written on one of the Old Elevators.

I will have to ask Ludy if during the war any women worked in the Warehouses as He would Know. Going to call him this morning. Taking the Barrels out of the racks tended to be a dirty Job so they gave us Coveralls to wear.

Rolling Barrels all day was hard on the back so we would switch what we were doing during each job.

We also would see many a rat running through when we opened up a warehouse that had been closed for some days or weeks. When a warehouse had been closed for weeks the Blue fumes in the air were amazing, I enjoyed it, was like walking into a giant Whiskey Vaporiser, opened your nose alot quicker then Vicks!

The Explosion Proof switches and light covers and pilot lights sure did their job, never had any fires or explosions. When my gang was dumping we would travel to many warehouses each day to get the lots marked on our dump sheet. In my time I was on 3 to 5 different gangs with different Boss's. Two of them were Jack Raysor, and Ben Meyers, can't remember other Names right now but maybe Ludy can refresh me on other Lead Men they were Union guys who ran the gang because of their ability and years of service.

Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 03-07-2011 at 05:20.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Gary when I worked there it was all men, but when Mr Neuman died and they were moving out all the Whiskey in the early 1980's Sandy who had worked on the Bottling lines for many years in the Bottle house worked in the warehouse's.

Somewhere back in my posts is a picture with Her Name written on one of the Old Elevators.

I will have to ask Ludy if during the war any women worked in the Warehouses as He would Know. Going to call him this morning. Taking the Barrels out of the racks tended to be a dirty Job so they gave us Coveralls to wear.

Rolling Barrels all day was hard on the back so we would switch what we were doing during each job.

We also would see many a rat running through when we opened up a warehouse that had been closed for some days or weeks. When a warehouse had been closed for weeks the Blue fumes in the air were amazing, I enjoyed it, was like walking into a giant Whiskey Vaporiser, opened your nose alot quicker then Vicks!

The Explosion Proof switches and light covers and pilot lights sure did their job, never had any fires or explosions. When my gang was dumping we would travel to many warehouses each day to get the lots marked on our dump sheet. In my time I was on 3 to 5 different gangs with different Boss's. Two of them were Jack Raysor, and Ben Meyers, can't remember other Names right now but maybe Ludy can refresh me on other Lead Men they were Union guys who ran the gang because of their ability and years of service.

Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Gary I just called Ludy who will be 93 on Sept 12th and he said during the 1940's when alot of Men were in the war and till the early 1950's He thinks and he remembers there were 6 women he remembered two of their names two sisters, nick names Dolly and Petts Schure. During the 1960's and early to mid 1970's the women all worked in the big 1966 Bottle house and the Little Kinsey Liquor Bottle House and it paid them better then us in the warehouse job!
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments