Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Well I am back been dealing with some health stuff but doing great now and I have stuff I have not Posted yet from May. But as many of You know I go to the WWII week end every year in Reading and dress as a Col. and B-29 Pilot as my Father was a B-29 Tail Gunner in WWII. So here is one of My Pictures just for Fun from the show of me with The Manhaten Dolls at the show. And some Kinsey pictures
    1. Me with the Dolls
    2. I saved this old wooden side from a box that once held a metal worm used to move grain from the grain Process building at Kinsey to the DSP#12 Still. It says Kinsey Distilling company Linfield pa. Most likely the part was used around the mid to late 1940's
    3. Old Kinsey Fire Fighting Tank of the Old Presured water type.

I have more Pictures to post and will post the Picture of the Old Whiskey Thief that we found in the ruins of the Old Kinsey Bottle house which was used till 1979 to make and bottle Liquors! I will put the picture of the whiskey thief in the Memories thread today if I have time. Felt so good Last night I broke out the Last of My Old Hickory 80 for a nice sip or two.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Disciple

When Ethan was with me at Kinsey he got between the door and wall and got a couple of shots inside Warehouse H the last warehouse Jacob G Kinsey ever built in 1936 at 78 years Old.
    Here are some Pictures taken for me by Ethan as I could not get between the door as it has a large rock holding it very close. It was this warehouse H where a Friend saw a place where My Dad had written Ziggy was here 1952, on one of the wooden racks but Ethan could not find it when he went in.

1. & 2. Racks in warehouse H
    3. The wall where the freight elevator used to be
    4. The front of what was the freight Elavator no smoking sign
    5. Racks falling down in front of where the Freight elevator was.

It was in one of these Old Elevators in Warehouse E of these a trick was played on me when I started in the warehouses after 2 1/2 years in the yard gang. I went out of the elevator for a couple of seconds in that time someone I know who loaded one extra barrel past capasity so when I flipped the switch to go down I went straight down hitting hard on the lower level. I can still remember how hard the hitting hurt my back from the jolt!
    Dave Z
    ===============================================
    kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 06-14-2011 at 11:52.

Enthusiast

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Dave, it's a shame that this countries whiskey heritage is slowly rotting away instead of being preserved for future generations. Thanks for all you have done. I have enjoyed your posts about the past a great deal.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by G.H.Adams View Post
    Dave, it's a shame that this countries whiskey heritage is slowly rotting away instead of being preserved for future generations. Thanks for all you have done. I have enjoyed your posts about the past a great deal.
    Greg thanks for your comments I love the Old Place and The Company even though it is Long gone. In the Old days Pa was a powerhouse for great Bourbons and Rye's. Our Rittenhouse Rye when we Made it was the Best Rye I have ever tasted. Old Hickory to me was the Best Bourbon made back in the day! BE Well Greg and again thanks for your feed back it helps to incourage me to continue my work so Publicker / Continental Distilling / and Kinsey are never forgotten.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Enthusiast

Dave

I was born in Ohio and raised in West Virginia. I moved to New Mexico when I was 26. I remember that my uncle always had a bottle of Old Hickory that he drank. One day I found his glass and took a sip. Needless to say it came right back up and my uncle thought it was funny but my mom did not. My uncle had a drinking problem. He got up in the morning with bourbon and went to bed with it.

I wish I lived close to you as I like to explore old ghost towns and mines. I would love to go with you to the old distilleries.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Guru

Terrific photo Dave of you and "the Dolls". You look the part and if it was black and white a period photo.

Disciple

I Did something I have not done for a long time now,walked around Kinsey late evening last night while my friends closed up all the buildings! The same movie making group that came last year to rent the place came back again this past weekend. They are called Northern Lights sure would like to see that movie! They use Paintball guns that look just like the real models.

I took a picture of open gates I will post later this week. I also went into the 1966 Bottle House to see what that rotten guy who pretended he was going to buy the place stole. All the Pumps are missing their stainless heads 3 200 gal stainless tanks are gone from one of the incoming Tank platforms and even the retaining fence is cut off. I wish Him the most terrible fortune that can come to him money wise for what He did to Kinsey.

Glad I got the Pictures I did the last couple of years in there of how things were layed out. I took a couple of Pictures of what is gone, but my camera was acting up flash not wanting to work. I also went into Warehouse J and took pictures of what is left of the piles of barnd new never used Bottles and cases!

Walking out I looked back and just wondered why this had to happen to Kinsey!

If anyone knows anything about this movie making group let me know, the new movie is I think called apoplas II.
    Dave Z

Virtuoso

Dave, great posts.

I grew up in Philly about 4 blocks from the Kasser distillery at 3rd and Luzerne... what do you know if anything about them? Several folks in the neighborhood worked there until the day it closed. They were located right next to a large rail yard where we played as kids...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

First off Cargnv I sure do remember Kasser and will Tell you when you drank Kasser blendeds and straights you were drinking Publicker Whiskys of varing types. We supplied them with Whiskey for many years.

Well today is the 4th of July and I went back to Kinsey today on a tip I could finnaly go into what is left of Warehouse H the last one Kinsey ever built!

Here are some shots in there, after many years wanting to get back in after saving the old fire fighting drill papers. Now I finnaly got to get some pictures. Here we go back into time, to the Last Warehouse Jacob G Kinsey ever built in the year 1936!

1. Warehouse H
    2. Well I found the Place were my Dad put his nickname Zig this was pure JOY for me
    3.Inside the old freight Elevater. Red place on back right wall was a Fire extinguser used to Hang
    4.Elevater controls, top button up, lower button down sliding safety switch and sliding elevater Light bottom switch
    5. Looking down through the first level
    6. Front of Elevater
    7. This was one of Bonda Bergeys favorite Warehouses to get Choice drinking Whiskey and here is his Name on the up right, most likely it marked a row he got whiskey from. Bonda was the truck traffic director
    8. This is the space you had to fit in to roll barrels out of two sets of racks better be thin.
    9. Fallen down racks Fire Extingusers still hanging on the wall for each level
    10. Another shot of the Racks
    11. Closeup of the Hanging Exstingusers
    12. Another shot inside the Elevater
    13.Old Explosion Proof Plugin
    14. Joe Kuterbach's name on rafter
    15. Another shot of the space you crawled in the roll barrels out of the racks
    16.Joe Kuterbach again and below bearly readable 10 L. Dist for Number 10 Pa Distillery!
    17. Old no Smoking sign on Elevater
    18. Last shot of the Old Freight Elevater boy do I remember these in all the old Kinsey buildings and taking the safey off one day pushing the button and going straight down hitting bottom because Bobby Had put one two many Barrels on when I had my back turned doing something else!
    19. Outside Warehouse Switches
    20. Looking up at the Old Elevater top Green on outside.

So there is your trip with me back into time into the only Old Kinsey warehouse you can walk in a little ways Building H. I most likely will never get in there again so took my time leaving as I thought of my First days on the warehouse gangs! I love those Old Brick and Wooden warehouses and it was in Warehouse E that I saw the Early 1950's barrels of Whiskey that would be used for the 20 yr anniversary Old Hickory we made! Most Likely they were Distilled at DSP-pa-12. KINSEY. It was warehouse E out front by the road that I went straight down in the Elevater to, sadly you can not walk in it at all anymore.

PS I will be posting some other Plant pictures and some rare Continental Letter Head in the other two threads this week.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-04-2011 at 17:04.

Connoisseur

Where was the "ZIG" on the wood? I couldn't find it the day I squeezed in there. Did someone move the rock so you could get in?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.