Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Looks great Dave! I like the switch too. Nice touch.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

This past Saturday with the High Heat I was not surprised to step into 50 degree temps on the first floors of the Old Explosion proof warehouses. Also in Warehouse C it was Foggy of all things!

It is really sad to see these once beautiful Warehouses in complete ruin. The sadest part is if the man who owns them would have kept people out with security and with the type of wiring they had they could operate right now even after 26 years of abandonment. But once the vandels got in and opened and cut everything that was the beginning of the end. Also letting that company that claimed they were going to buy the plant and make a trash to steam plant, while the whole time all they did was steal metal and knock down the Old Historic DSP-PA-12, and catch the Old Bottle house and Barn on fire cutting metal. What he has let Happen and done himself to me is no Less Then a Crime.

Vandels even climbed the roofs and stole the edging so the Buildings all leak water and the corners of the buildings bricks are breaking out due to expansion in the Summer and Contraction in the winter with the water leaks.

Also the so called people fixing the Plant in the early 2001 & 2002 opened almost all the doors on the upper floors for Light and left them open to warp to the point you can't close them, and they now let bad weather in dooming them.

There will never be the Condo's at Kinsey Distillery or the Kinsey Distillery Living History museuim of Linfield. When the Plant closed the front Historic Buildings were all in great shape and could easily been made into a tourisum spot, but no in a very Brainless and foolish act the owner just chose to walk away shut everything down abandon it and just pay the taxes.
    Dave Z = The Best Old Fashioneds Are, You'll Find The Mellow, Made With Kinsey Kind!
    ================================================== ==
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Disciple

A couple of weeks ago When Rod and his friend Adam went to the plant with me I took a couple of cool pictures he they are.

1. Rod checking out #2 Gauging tank 4,120 gal cap warehouse C.
    2. First Names on the Elevator wall all old frinds of mine from back in the day they are in order
    Joe - Machukas
    Bud - Bergy
    Bill - Ewing
    Jack - Raysor, we all worked together in the warehouses.
    3. The only in tack Electrical Header I have seen in all the warehouses it still has most of its covers.
    4. The Last of the barrels left at the plant getting really bad now.

It is hot out today but I may still go for a short walk at Kinsey today as it has been 2 weeks since was there.
    Dave Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Walking around the Plant on Sunday afternoon I was totally amazed at how the trees and weeds are also taking over some of the warehouses out back. The whole thing is almost unreal to me. The Fire Observation tower warehouse Q has a large open hole in the wall where the guy who owns the Place had knocked out part of the right side wall then stuck a lardge wooden section in the hole. Well the holders rotted off and now the building is completely open the weather and from the fire years ago on the third floor there is a large hole the Fire company Punched on the right side up top.

Q warehouse the most unique of the warehouses is not long for the world. All this kills me as 26 years ago everything was in good shape till this rotten person just after driving Publicker out with to high a leasing price just pushed anyone renting there out and abandoned the Plant in fall 1986.
    here are two pictures of the Virginia Creeper and weeds at work.

1. Warehouse T the dock is slowly disapearing from the Virginia creeper at work. I could not get anywhere near the dock. The trees and weeds and creeper are going nuts.
    2. Looking down from warehouse #38 at warehouses T&S as the weeds and creeper take over.
    Dave Z
    ==================================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
    For Unhurried Moments

Disciple

today taking pictures of what the fire did to the oldest buildings at Kinsey I just found it at so hard to believe. I really miss being able to walk in the Old DSP-PA-10 Rye Barn, it was such a neat building with all its wooden framework to hold the old Pot Still and now it is all gone! Thankfully the side of the stair case that said Kinsey # 10 rye Barn is in my garage, but all the other stencils are all burnt and gone. I am forever glad I took pictures of the stenciled Fast aging whiskey on the barn uprights. Kinsey Just like people is dying and one day will be gone, but if I have my way its name will live forever! Tomorrow I will post my fire pictures on the memories thread
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =================================

Disciple

Picture of the alley between buildings after the fire
    They stood there from Late 1892 till Friday June 30,2012
    I can not get this right with the new system so I will start this post again later and just abandon this as it keeps locking up and I lost all the other Pictures of the fire damage and can't get them back here. The One Picture is of the alley between the Old #10 Rye Barn and the old Bottle house look for me to start over soon.
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-02-2012 at 09:48.

Disciple

Kinsey Warehouses B,D,E and the #10 Rye Barn

1892 till June 30 2012
    I finnally figuered what I was doing wrong so I am posting 5 Pictures now and will post many more here and on the memories thread. Gone are Warehouse B 1892/Warehouses D&E and the number Ten Rye Barn knocked down to get to the fire in Warehouse B & D. in fighting the fire they Knocked down half of Warehouse E. I will get back to posting but Lunch time is over and its back to work I go.
    1. Standing where the #10 Rye Barn was Looking at Warehouse E built early 1900's
    2. Sprinker and electrical pipes at bottom of what was 1892 Kinsey waehouse B the
    second warehouse built on the sight when Jacob G Kinsey bought the place.
    3. Shot of warehouse E
    4. Warehouse D elevator Shaft at river wall of building
    5. Closeup of Warehouse D Top of elevator shaft note Motor still sitting on steel rails at top. This buildings Elevator was different as built into the back brick wall and even a window in the shaft the others had the top of the elevator sitting on the roof. And Warehouses A & B had a chain hoist to rack barrels and remove them very dangerous but in 1892 that was the way. The others were built a couple of yrs later when you could get frieght elevators Locally from Reading.
    Now that I figuered what I was doing wrong I will post more soon. The picture on the thread before this one is of what was the alley between the #10 Rye Barn and the Old Bottle House built by Kinsey. Just a note I will post some more pictures on the Memories thread today.
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-02-2012 at 11:13.

Disciple

Here are some copies of some pictures I posted years ago of Kinsey the year was 2003 and I had not got there yet but was lucky enough to find these pictures when I first learned to use a computer.

1. Cyprus fermenters in dsp-pa-12 the one far left had the fish in it when I worked there we clocked out to the the left of the tank picture
    2. Dsp-Pa.- 12 still where we clocked in every day. Platform on top at the back of the building once held the water cistren tank. And is on the old picture from the turn of the century of Kinsey I have!
    3. Doors into Dsp-pa-12 note sign which I wish I had says Continental Distilling corp Distiller DSP-Pa-1
    4. Pink Mack truck sits abandonded. All these pictures are from 2003. Note the steam lines going behind the truck in the picture go from the boiler room out front to the very back of the plant to warehouse #38 just before the steer pens.
    5. The missing metal work parts of the Old Grain drying building when I worked there it was not used but complete yet and fully sprinkeled and had heat and electric. Charlie Sipler parked his buggy on the bottom floor and there were lockers and a shower on the second floor then.
    6. Boiler room stack,the two coal buring boilers sat below and note the old grain process building behind the area.

I will post some more rare pictres again here soon. I am always thankful when I find old Kinsey pictures there are very few around!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ================================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-06-2012 at 18:04.

Nice shots Dave! It's changed so much since these were taken. Hard to beleive.

Disciple

I went back to Kinsey on Sunday with Rod and while I was there saved the piece of wooden Rack from warehouse E I had taken a picture of Sunday a week ago with Ethan.
    2. again here is a shot of the piece Sec. 1, fastened to an old wood ladder which I have put aside also.
    I got my friends to trim it down to a size to save it and the next picture is of it restored to save for
    history.
    3. Here is the piece I have fastened a picture of it laying in the rubble on the back and a note about its history and tonight I am going to get a steel picture hanging cabel so it can be hung and displayed.
    1.Back wall Warehouse E with door which was closed for close to 20 years with a Continental Distilling Padlock. Rod climbed down in and took some shots he is going to give me and found that a good part of the building except two places was in real good shape and he was even able to climb and walk on the second floor boards. What a shame they knocked the wall down when they did not need to as no Fire got in there, But it is done. Warehouse E looks to have been the only intack Kinsey Warehouse till the fire Friday a week.
    4. The Elevator Shaft for Warehouse E
    7. Warehouse E Section K of racks. They were marked so on paper forms you could always find the lot of Barrels you were looking to pull. Rod saw one solitary empty Barrel in the building. The reason being all the old Whisky in there was used for Rittenhouse Rye and the 20 year old, OLD Hickory Bourbon special bottling they did back in the day. I can personally tell you The Whisky from Old Warehouses E & D were some of the Very Best Whisky that Continental Distilling ever made and a large part of them if not all were distilled at DSP-PA-12 & 10 in Linfield and put to age in those old buildings. They were rolled on the old rails between the old Bottle House and the two Warehouses and racked before my time most likely when My dad worked there.
    1. Another Shot of Warehouse E Elevator through hole you can see the elevator

For some reason the pictures have ended up in the wrong places and are not in the right order I tried to delete the whole post to start over but it would not so you can from what I wrote figure which is which. Sorry this new system has some strange ways!

I am going to post some pictures from years ago on the memories thread again later today or tomorrow.

My goal is to save as many different things as I can to be able to show what it was like to work there and are daily jobs and what, how and where we worked. I want people to be able to get the true picture Of kinsey and Contiental Distilling and our Parent Company the greatest Distiller of Industrial and drinking spritis ever Publicker Industries. This thread is messed up I have tried and tried to fix it but the system will not let me put the right order of the pictures so just enjoy the pictures and sorry
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ========================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-09-2012 at 10:37.