Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Ok if I can't edit it I can put the pictures by number here.
    1.Warehouse E the Only door in on the back wall.
    2. The wooden Piece laying in the rubble of the fire
    3.The Wooden section after I cut it to size and restored it to save for History.
    4. Another shot of the door in warehouse E this door was locked for about 20 years with a Continental Distilling Padlock and survived well till the fire hit building beside it Warehouse D and the People decided to knock its wall down for no good reason.
    5. Warehouse E Elevator Shaft
    6. Racks in Warehouse E section 10.
    This way when you go back and know what the pictures are.
    Dave Z

Disciple

The Fire at Kinsey was such a sad day and you had to have worked there to know how well things used to be kept back when I worked there! I used my Digital camera and took a close up of the oldest part of the Plant back in 1947 in an artists conseption picture I have of the Plant.

If you look at the far Right you see from the front back Warehouse E,then D and B and A then the railroad bridge and Warehouses F & G and H smaller to the left side with New warehouse R's white wall sitting at the Extreme back right of the picture.

Going from the front back again on the Left side middle is The Old Kinsey Bottle House ( Happy House ) and inbetween it and Warehouses D & E would be the rails to put barrels in those front warehouses. Next in the Middle is the #10 Rye Barn and the small white & Black building left of the Rye barn was the Plant Office where Jake Kinsey did business and it was the Plant office the whole time Publicker owned the Plant also. Next on the far front left green & white is the Old company House George Dill lived in when I worked there and the Plant nurse was on the first floor.

Then the building farther back on the left with the green roof and whiite bottom is the Old Maintaince Barn, and Behind that is the Old Grain drying buildings and the Boiler room big stack and the DSP-PA-12 Distiller on the right and behind it the Grain Process building.

The Picture gives you an Idea of how the original Plant looked when Continental Distilling bought it at silent Auction in 1940.

The years I worked there everything was well cared for and maintained. Once Publicker was gone so was Kinsey.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== =========================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-27-2012 at 09:11.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Well I went to Kinsey to look at Warehouse's A,B,D,and E for the last time before they are torn down this week and I was determine to find a way to Save the 50 gal Sethness Caramel Coloring Barrel that sat on the second level floor in the Half knocked down Kinsey Warehouse E and Its a done deal. Here are two pictures of Ethan and his friend Eric and Ethans wife Gretchen lowering the barrel and bringing it out for me before the building is gone forever.

I wish I could have saved more they also helped me carry the small Length of Ladder that my Section 1 piece of wood was on originaly in warehouse D. I looked on the web and Sethness Caramel Coloring company is still in bussiness since 1880 so not every old company is gone and we used alot of Caramel coloring. Sadly the building was the only one that only had minor roof leaks when Lightening hit them and Ethan told me I was wrong it had started to burn when they knocked down the wall he saw signs of fire.
    I have a few more pictures to post from today of the last of those buildings and will do them most likely tomorrow. Warehouse E was the building where the Amazing 20 yr Old Hickory came from and when I worked there I remembered all the barrels in there with early 1950's dates. Alot of the whiskey if not all in them was distilled at Kinsey in those out front warehouses from 1892 and early 1900's.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==========================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-12-2012 at 15:43.

Connoisseur

Hey! That looks familiar. As for the fire, the wood was still smoldering and giving off wisps of smoke around the elevator area. Pretty weird to see it still smoldering over a month later!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Here are some shots of the fire area now that warehouses, D,E and B and the Kinsey #10 Rye Barn are gone forever!
    Taken on Sunday Aug 26,2012

1. The only oldest remaining building at Kinsey is warehouse A in bad shape but survives for now with damage where the wrecking ball caught its front wall. Built in 1892 by jake Kinsey.
    2. Another shot of Warehouse A the first warehouse Mr Kinsey ever built, it and B gone now had no elevator you had to put grapling hooks on each end head and lower each barrel with a chain hoist. Once we emptied them A and B were never filled again by Continental.
    3. All that is left of the Old Kinsey #10 Rye Barn is this part of its wall. Glad I saved the written piece from the wooden stair a year ago.
    4. Here is all that is left of Warehouse D the bottom of where the Elevator shaft was.
    5. Looking across where Warehouse Buildings B,D,E and the Barn were.
    6. Looking across to what is left of the Old ( Happy House ) Kinsey Bottling House 1933.
    7. Another shot of warehouse A the inside wall that fitted against warehouse B.
    8. One last shot looking where the Buildings once stood.

I think the sadest thing is that Warehouse E was in fairly good shape compared to the other burned down brick warehouses and the remaining ones. They stood there for 120 years for Warehouses A & B and over a 100 years for the Barn and D and E warehouse. And suddenly Lightening Hits them weird!
    I have not gone there much the last few weeks but I want to go this weekend and walk around again.
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===========================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

Disciple

I will be posting Pictures in all 3 Threads today that I got from my Friend Butch who worked at the Publicker Phila Plant! Here are some Rare Pictures Of Philip Publickers American Commercail Alcohol Plant In Phila just a short Distance from Publicker Commercail Alcohol Corp. Harry Publicker and Philip Publicker were Brothers who went their own ways. So just Like Publicker Industries, American Distilling started in Phila, Pa.
    1. American Commercial Alcohol Company Tank Farm Still is top center.
    2. Another shot of the Distiller at American Commercial Alcohol Company, 1938 at Tasker street and Delaware Ave. The Plant was a merger of David Berg Industrial Alcohol Company and American Commercial Alcohol Company and became American Commercial Alcohol Company.
    I was very excited to get these rare Pictures and hope for many more. They tell the stories of two Great men, Harry Publicker founder of Publicker Commerical Alcohol Company / Publicker Industries 1933 and Philip Publicker Founder of American Commercial Alcohol Company / American Distilling and shows that American Distilling also had its roots in Pa in Phila!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ==================
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 09-19-2012 at 09:57.

Disciple

Last Sunday as I walked past Warehouse Q I was amazed how bad a shape it is in and very sad because the Fire Tower is on top of the fire escape on the back of the building. The man who owns the building back when he was leaseing back to Publicker cut a large part of the wall out of it and warehouse I. He then instead of putting a large door just had a wooden frame pushed in.

This past spring the wood wall has fallen out leaving the building open to what ever. Also many years ago vandels set fire to some corn whisky barrels on the 3dr floor. The fire company to put out the fire smashed in the back orner wall to put the fire out. The Building now on the one side has two places open and getting water on the brick and terricotta work!

It is amazing how one Rotten person can impact a place as much as He has, all the damage and abandonment lays on Him, he is the example of a large slum landlord, buy a place then leave it rot and claim loss for years then just let it rot.
    Looking now you would never know the glory of Kinsey Distillery back in the day!
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

Sunday Ethan and His Wife and I went to Kinsey. While there we Had pictures taken by his wife of me and Him pretending to be putting in a day in the warehouse.
    1. Me and Ethan loading Barrels on the Barrel Elevator!
    2. Me doing what I did so many times when behind the Loader holding the barrel ready to Kick it up the incline to the elevator loader.
    3. Ethan Loading a barrel on the Elevator.
    4. Barrel Graveyard

Me and Ethan found some real nice Barrel heads to take home from 1963. I also thanks to Ethan was able to save two of the Last Warehouse Signs for History, Warehouse M and S.

Everytime I go it seems so much more worse there, it really gets to me. How this could have happened to Si Neumans Beautiful Distillery on the River is hard to take. I go and find myself remembering people who worked in each building I see when I go there.

It is very hard to find much of anything left there that is any good. But With the Help of People Like Ethan and Rod and Mike and Others I try to save all I can for History.
    Dave Z

Connoisseur

I wish I could save ALL the barrels and barrel parts there! It's amazing to see that pile of staves and heads!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Y'all need to take out all that wood and sell it for kindling/firewood. I think you could do well for yourselves. It would be a just payment to you for your efforts to keep Kinsey's history alive, here.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama