Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Tunnel Tiger The warehouse closest to the road that burned was where I had my first taste of Whiskey! It was Old Kinsey Warehouse E and I had some great Rye Whiskey right from the Barrel! To get to the upper racks you had to climb a wooden ladder nailed to the racks. The building was build around 1900. it is hard to figure after a 100 years that Lightening would hit it. Sadly nothing is forever. Every time I go there now I see more stuff falling apart. Dave Z

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Tunnel Tiger The warehouse closest to the road that burned was where I had my first taste of Whiskey! It was Old Kinsey Warehouse E and I had some great Rye Whiskey right from the Barrel! To get to the upper racks you had to climb a wooden ladder nailed to the racks. The building was build around 1900. it is hard to figure after a 100 years that Lightening would hit it. Sadly nothing is forever. Every time I go there now I see more stuff falling apart. Dave Z
    Dave,

Just for grins and giggles. How old were you? Do you remember the whiskey brand?

mbroo

Disciple

I was 19 years old and the Whiskey was Straight Rye which was going to be used for Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, it was awesome! I had been up in the Ladder on the wooden space between the racks rolling barrels out to the end and when we were done that row I came down and one of the guys said try this and handed me a 1/2 pint bottle with a bit of Char on the bottom! I did not drink a lot but every now and then I would sip some good stuff. It was a wonderful place to work and I leaned my work ethic there. Worked every day not missing time and saving to live the American dream. I will always be grateful I worked there out of High school. Thanks for the note and interest. I love telling stories about the place. Dave Z Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey for unhurried moments.

Disciple

Well this Saturday I am meeting Butch who worked for Continental Distilling in Phila and our goal is to get him a Continental Distilling 48 gal Whiskey Barrel for him to restore to a table like Fricky did for me and him a few years ago. Also we will explore what is left of the place as it has really fallen into bad times. I can hardly believe how bad it is.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent bourbon

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Well here we are, it is just 9 days and it will be Christmas 2013, and yet I sure remember the days of old when all the warehouses at Kinsey were filled with lots of Lovely Whiskey just waiting to be bottled! Back then we had the worlds Largest amount of aging Whiskey in the world! It is so sad to walk there now and see Warehouse Q with the Fire Observation tower in ruin. No racks in the building holes in the walls from a set fire years ago and vandeles painting horrible writing on the walls in the tower. I remember sweeping the stairs in the fire tower when I was a kid. All I can think is if only Mr. Neuman had lived I still to this day think the place would still be operating!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===============================
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Dave I can relate. The first textile mill worked in you could see the moon at night through the cracks in the bricks at night. Now a whole mfg industry has disappeared from us.

Disciple

It is so sad to see America and the american way go away! When I was a kid there was always somewhere to get a job! Working at the Kinsey Dsitillery I bought the nicest car I ever owned my 1967 Buick GS 400 Cu in 425 HP. When I go there it breaks my heart! Have a great Christmas Tunneltiger

Virtuoso

Dave - mine was a 1966 Ford Galaixe 7 Liter. 428 cubic in, boy could that baby fly.

Merry Christmas to you Dave!

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Hey Tuneltiger those Fords were very Fast. I hope your Christmas was great, I did have a good one as went to my Sisters House for Christmas for the first time in 8 yrs. I don't go up in the Fire tower anymore as Vandles have now painted horrible stuff all over the walls inside.
    Here are 3 more Pictures
    1. The Grain Process Building at Kinsey built 1892
    2. The Bigler Street Grain Process plant at Publicker plant in Phila given me by Butch
    3. The Time Clock from the 1966 Bottling House at Kinsey safely saved in my Garage.

Through the years i have tried to save as much History of Publicker Industries as I can if I knew how I would write a book about it.
    Dave Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join The Swing To Kinsey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Dave - I always enjoy your posts. I love history and I love whiskey! I live in the past through you!

It would be great if you and Chuck Cowdery or Michael Veach could hook up and put your story down in a book!

Thanks for sharing your memories!

mbroo