Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Phenomenal historical overview. Fascinating to see these pictures and read your memories.

Thanks much for sharing!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Where was the "ZIG" on the wood? I couldn't find it the day I squeezed in there. Did someone move the rock so you could get in?
    Ethan you had to look at the cross beams walking out about 3 feet from the end. I was sure glad to get in with a camera as 4 years ago when I squeezed in with the boulder at the door I did not have my camera and I grabed all the fire drill papers. Since then it has been closed. The guys that watch the Place told me and they can not figure how someone ever moved that heavy rock but it gave me a chance in there. I had to Hold the wall with my right arm and reach my camera in the Elevator and shoot with out seeing what I was shooting as the Floor is compelety gone there.

I am going back this weekend to get some more pictures and look at whats left of it.
    Dave Z -- It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-08-2011 at 12:29.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

First thanks for the Kind words Timd On Saturday I went back to Kinsey Warehouse H and got some good things to save and more pictures here are some of them. Here are 5 of the Pictures I took as can only put so many on each time. There will be more on the other two threads later today hopefully

1. Sign inside elevater says Reading Elevater Company.
    2. A closeup of the Controls for the Elevater Top button up next one down flip switch for safety which holds the elevater and the light switch.
    3. Inside the switch as I took the box home to save it for History.
    4. Here is the control panel put back together for displace for History at Kinsey East my place.
    5. A shot of the heavy cables that pulled the Elevater up and down.

Warehouse H was the last one built by Jacob G Kinsey in 1936 at the age of 78 years old. Ludy was working at Kinsey when this warehouse was built.
    Warehouse H unlike the other big Wood & Brick warehouses did not have any ladders to climb up you had to ride the freight up to the level you wanted.
    The building had 5 levels and each was divided in lettered sections each separate section had 3 racks of barrels, from my information from Ludy Warehouse H held 20,000 barrels.

I have always loved this warehouse as when I worked there it was the newest of the old ones and was in great condition in the late 1960's. I am very sad to see it falling down inside.
    On a note something I had really never thought about there was only one way to go in or get out of H the door I went in. We would use a small electric Lift pluged into the Explosion proof plugs like the one I posted last time in this building. The Lift would be taken with one person up to the floor you were taking barrels out and you would stand a certain amount of barrels in the freight elevater and run them down flip them and roll them to your left and then some one would push them out the metal door to the dock and onto one of the 1941 Ford Flat trucks to be taken to one of the Explosion proof warehouses where another gang of Men would unload them and dump them in lot order!
    Dave Z -- It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    ================================================== ====

Disciple

Saturday I went back to Kinsey and warehouse H and the 1966 bottling house. I met Ethan his wife and his friend steve and I took them for another trip through Kinsey!
    Here are some Picture and I got them to take a couple of me in the Plant since I had them there to do it.
    1. Looking down through level one.
    2. Here I am in Warehouse H pointing out my Dads nickname written on the Beam - Zig
    3. Well here I am 42 years later in the racks but there are No Barrels.
    4. " GOIN UP" Here I am in the Old Reading Freight Elevator but it is going nowhere!

I have many more pictures from this trip and lots of the ones Sandie sent me yet to post on all 3 of my threads this week. And I sure did fell 42 years older in there.
    Dave Z -- It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Connoisseur

Is that a not so subtle subliminal message in photo 2 Dave?

Still reading these threads Dave. They really are a fascinating view into the past. Thanks for your efforts to record and post.

Morgan
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

Connoisseur

Ha! I was waiting for the "Going Up" post! What you don't see in the first photo is my friend Steve falling through the floor. I was doing pretty well at missing the soft spots in the floor and Steve was following me. Then I hear 'crunch' and "OUCH" and I see Steve in the floor up to his shoulders. Luckily there was dirt floor a few feet below so he was able to boost himself back up and out. He's ok but his ribs hurt him a bit. I got him some Advil on the way home so hopefully he's back up to speed in a few days. Unfortunately bumps and bruises are one of the risks you take when you explore places like Kinsey!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Ethan I guess us older guys are more careful sometimes! Here are some more pictures from Sat July 16.
    1. Are Old Safety Sign in the 1966 Bottle House hangs waiting for work to begin. For your Safety Everything in its place!

2. The other side says Good Attendance a top performace, Quality on The Job.
    3. Here is the Old Lab Refridgerator with old food on the bottom and an ice bag that was never used still in the Freezer! Everything waiting for the Next Day that never came to sit guard over a place that sits waiting saying where are my workers they never came back!
    4. A Look arcoss the 1966 Bottling House.
    5. Old Machines at the beginning of Line B-2
    6. Upper Line that carried the cases above the bottles being filled
    7. And Here I am working One of the Lines!

When I think of Kinsey I think Those were the days My Friend I thought they would never end.

Yet in Sept 1986 One day everyone went home only to come back the next to find the place sealed and gone forever.

Kinsey Oh Kinsey What have Men Done To You
    For 94 Years You Were Revered and now you sit and rot
    Does The ghost of Jacob G Kinsey walk your grounds
    Where have Your Workers Gone!

I will Always love your grounds and the People that made you great, The Coopers like Ludy and Bud Bergey, The Lead men Like John Zuber and Shorty Keller and Jack Razor and the Maintance men such as Shorty Tyson, Frank Kurtas and Lou Steify.
    They will never be forgotten because they made Kinsey Distillery and Continental Distilling Great!

Dave Z == It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

Disciple

Well here are the last I can find of the Pictures Sandie sent me of Kinsey Operating.
    1. This truck was there from the Company in Ohio that was buying small barrels as fast as they could dump them. Canton Wood Products.
    2. Labeling Liquor bottles in the HH Haappy House the Old Kinsey Bottle House.

3. Sandie and Our Fire Chief Calvin Roberts! Sandie told me in her notes that looking below them you see barrel staves from the 365 gal barrels and that is what they were the 340 gal number was a mistake during the writting.

Boy the memories are amazing looking at all these pictures. Seeing people I worked with at Kinsey back in the day. I worked there from age 19 and all these years later I still have some living friends I met there.

When you walked into the Big 1966 Bottling house the very first thing you thought was boy is this place BIG 2 football fields long and a 1/2 plus football field wide! Then you looked at the 11 lines all running at the same time and the cases of Spirits rolling through the last wall bulkhead and being put on Pallets and it was quite a sight. "State Of The Art"

Then There was the early computerized Line A-1-F it could do 40,000 bottles a day and think about it Computerized in 1966! And all you did was supply it! It even boxed the bottles when they were full! Granted it was an old time style computer but new then and the latest, what a feat.
    And all the People 600 in 1966.

The sweet smells of Whiskey being bottled, and the precision of how the plant ran. You walked in looked around and as you stood there looking it hit you THIS IS THE BIGGEST AND MOST MODERN SPIRITS BOTTLING HOUSE IN THE WORLD. As a young guy I was in awe!

Then here was the smooth droning of the bottling machines, cleaning filling and sealing, and labeling bottles of some of the Finest Whiskeys ever made.

Hall of Fame Whiskeys such as Old Hickory 80 proof 6 yr, Old Hickory 86 proof 10 yr old and Old Hickory BIB 100 proof.
    Number two was Hallers County Fair BIB 100 proof 6 or 4 yr old.
    And Charter Oak straight BIB Bourbon.
    And so many more uncountable brands including Our Lolita line of Liquors.

Then there was for my young eyes to see the Old Kinsey warehouses, The Old DSP-pa-12 and # 10 rye barn and all the state of art 14 explosion proof warehouses and so much more.
    -- If you have not looked on the other two threads there are more of these working plant pictures there also!
    Dave Z
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 07-22-2011 at 13:36.

Disciple

Well with a little research which most likely alot of you folks in the Midwest knew, I discovered why Canton Wood products bought all the whiskey barrels that Kinsey had when Publicker stopped filling barrels with whiskey in 1980. I went on the web with the name on the old truck there at Kinsey and discovered they are a very large cooperage company.

Sandie told me that 90 + % of the barrels at Kinsey back in the closing days went to Canton and they had their trailers and that semi truck there to move them.

Having worked there I know how dirty a job it is to bundle up used whiskey barrels for shipment! You are covered with the black char after a days work and all your clothes are black from it and wet from whiskey still in the bottom of the barrel.

Also you were dealing with those giant 365 gal barrels if you saw the picture of them I posted. I left the notes of weights of the heads and staves at home and will post later.

Warehouse work was not for Pretty boys it was hard dirty work but with a great final product great whiskeys and Ours were some of the Best of best!
    Dave Z
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 08-09-2011 at 12:53.

Disciple

Sitting here tonight drinking something very special given me from my friend last summer who was in charge of marketing for Continantal Distilling back in the day!
    Time Old Armagnac 30 year old Brandy, its says 30 years aged in Oak in France and bottled in France 82 proof and boy is it good! It is about 60 years old and I wish I had a case of it.

We had so many unusual products back then and time has only impoved it.
    There has never been and never will be again a company like Publicker they had spirits for everyone no matter what the product we had it and it was good!

Times like this I wish I had a thousand cases and could ship them to everyone on the sight so they too could enjoy these amazing spirits.

I am very Happy to have this bottle of Brandy and will enjoy every drop, I only have a little less then half of the bottle left but I shall enjoy every drop.
    I lift a toast to everyone on this sight may your days be great and may your nights be better then that!
    Dave Z
    PS wish all of you could go back in time with me to take you through the place back in the day.
    -----------------------------------------------------------