Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Taster

Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Dave, are you able to tell us about what this device is atop the grain process building in your picture? I haven't seen that before. I suspect it serves the function of a scotch distillery's pagoda for ventilation, only this one looks like it's made out of copper, like a still.

device.jpg

Disciple

I think that is what it is, I will have to try and get a close up shot next time I get there with my good camera. Never noticed it before. The grain bin is below it!
    From the bin it goes to a chafe removing machine a then to a worm gear to the still which was torn down in 2002.
    Dave Z
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Boubon

Disciple

Fangzilla I just found the Pictures from Nov 19, 2011 a Young friend of Mine climbed the side of the building putting his feet in holes in the wall with my Camera. When He got up there He took a picture of where the Stair was to the Copalo on top where that setup is. and then he got this amazing shot inside the grain bin it had been 25 Year since there was heat in the building and the Bin had not been used since spring of 1951! Picture 2 is the Bin and It looks like brand new yet. By now I'm sure water has gotten in but when He was up there the floor was going in front of the stair that went above the bin.

1 Wall on the way to the stair case to the Copalo at top of Process building
    2. Grain Box top and sides looks amazing for being abandoned 25 years and not being used for 60 years! The last Gain in it was spring of 1951! Look at how the wood gleams in the picture.
    3. Bin wall floor going bad.
    4. Grain from Spring of 1951 still laying on the floor!
    5. Foot of stairs going to the top you can just see the stair case to the right
    My Friend Rod also climbed on top of a old 1892 grain procees machine and got me the Only late 1890's Crouse Hinds explosion proof Light fixture which I made a lamp of with all the parts from the plant and will post is picture again some day soon.
    Without his help on that dangerous floor up there these Pictures could have never been seen. They are the only Known of pictures of the upper floor of the grain Process Building build by Jake Kinsey in 1892!
    I met Rod at the Plant and together we explored many things and we both built Lamps from there! Fangzilla
    I thought you and everyone else would enjoy these amazing pictures.
    Dave Z
    =============================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave ziegler; 01-10-2014 at 11:57.

Taster

Dave, regarding the device on the roof, it occurred to me that it can't be copper, or it would have been stolen long ago. Probably made of tin, or similar.

Those pictures are amazing. The wood looks so new, the company must have kept replacing it when it got too old, until they closed down. After all, that was Mr. Neuman's thing, from what you've said. Keeping all the buildings in top shape, even if they weren't used. The grain is a surprise. You wouldn't think it would survive the critters eating it for that long!

Guru

Too bad that beautiful wood cannot be salvaged and re-purposed somehow.

Disciple

It is very sad what has happened to the Kinsey Plant during these last 28 years. I could have never dreamed that it would end like this. The first Time I went back there in 2004 It was surreal to me to walk there and see everything abandoned! I admit I felt like crying! I stood there Listening for the old days when a 1941 Ford flat truck would come roaring up through the plant hauling full whiskey barrels to be dumped. Jono I still can not believe how beautiful that wood looked after 25 yrs
    Dave Z
    ==============================================
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Hello Fangzilla once the weather breaks I hope to do a lot of Posting, not being able to post at work makes it harder but I will continue writing about the old days at Kinsey! I am doing ok now that my electric is back, on Wed I had no Power and went to bed with the temp at 48, it was hell for me being 66 yrs old but I got my Power back in 25 Hours so I am very thankful I also had no land Phone which with Asthama is not good. Back now and able to write stuff on the computer again!
    I hope to do some more writing here very soon!
    Dave
    ================================================== ===
    America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Virtuoso

Dave - here's hoping you have no more power outages, us old guys need heat.

Disciple

Post Re: The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Dave - here's hoping you have no more power outages, us old guys need heat.
    Well mid Sunday morning Mar 23 some kids went into Kinsey and set Warehouse T on fire. I have not been there yet but my friends who watch the place said they set the plies of unused cases of bottles on fire.
    To make things worse the fireman instead of just rolling the doors up the doors still opened decided to test out their cutting equipment and cut Large holes in all the doors now making it impossible to ever seal the building again! It seems in the modern times all people know how to do is ruin things!
    Dave Z
    ================================================== ===========================
    America's most Magnificent Bourbon

Sorry to hear about the continued vandalism, and decline at Kinsey Dave. I know how you feel. It seems that about every other time I visit Kentucky for the Sampler or KBF, I end up driving by the Old Taylor distillery for a look see, and to get some pictures. It's pretty much the same story there. Some vandalism, but mostly the elements are just continuing to wear away at the place. Very sad to see at Kinsey and Taylor, as I'm sure both places were sights to see back in their heyday.

Take care Dave, and be well.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"