Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsendonk

Connoisseur

Corsendonk

I picked up a boxing of Corsendonk Beer which contained a dark ale and a pale ale. The dark ale was really good, but the pale ale blew me away. I really enjoyed it. Any one else familiar with this Belgiom Brewer?
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Corsendonk

I am quite familiar with Corsendonk, and I too enjoy it from time to time. But I will admit it has been a while, as I always seem to find a new beer to try.

There used to be a saying among a group of beer drinkers that I hang around (though I haven't heard it in a while so it may no longer be true)

If you like your beer chunky, get the small bottles. If you like cardboard, get the 750s.

The small bottles always seemed to have a flocculation problem (though I don't mind it) and the big bottles always seemed to have the slightest of cork taint(but rarely enough to curtail enjoyment.)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

I don't think I've had the pale ale but I enjoy Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale quite a bit. But then, I am rather partial to dubbels and not generally a fan of pale ales - at least not hoppy ones.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

The pale ale sure was not hoppy; I found it very fruity/apple like in nose and taste. It may be a tad sweet on second tasting, but refreshing none the less. I actually bought the boxed pair to try the Abbey Brown, and I, like you, enjoyed the dark, too.
    Mike

Enthusiast

Corsendonk is a so called abdijbier,a beer that has its origin in an abbey or a monastery but is made nowadays by a commercial brewery.Yes they are very tasty.If you like these kind of beers i can recommend you Witkappater enkel,dubbel or triple ,also here very hard to get, or Grimbergen something alike but almost everywhere to get, even in supermarkets.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Disciple

I picked up a bottle of the pale ale and will try it out as soon as I get over being sick.
    -Dan

Connoisseur

Belgian pale ales are quite different from American or British pale ales. They are generally malt-driven with a soft, fruity, rounded nose and palate. They work terrifically with pork, FWIW.

Corsendonk brown and pale ales are both exemplary beers. I wish we still got them in these parts.

Connoisseur

Speaking of pork, I drank a German dark ale about a week ago that smelled just like smoked barbeque pork. It also tasted like smoked barbeque pork- almost undrinkable to me. In fact, I poured most of it out. Now I like barbequed pork to eat, but drinking it was not at all pleasant. I can't remember the name of the ale, but I will not forget the bottle so as to avoid future purchases of this oinker.
    Mike

Disciple

Sounds like you tried a rauchbier such as Schlenkerla. They are quite different but I like them.

-Dan

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

That is one of my fav smoked beers. Quite wonderful.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile