Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Goji Berries & Bourbon

Dang it, it's seems like ages ago that I used to take my slow period from 10pm to midnight at the store and read and post. Now I'm up for two days straight, sleep twelve hours, and barely have time to read the expiration date on my milk carton. I truly miss time on the board but can't complain about business growing to the point where I have no free time.

Just a quick post to say that I infused some Four Roses Single Barrel recently with dried Goji berries and it was fabulous. I took a whole bottle of whiskey to 4 oz berries and let it sit for at least a night. I made a cocktail I dubbed the Mae West Royal Diamond Fizz (now that's a mouthful) with this infused conconction and used the left over berries as filling in a chocolate cake. Be warned, though. Goji berries are said to be an aphrodisiac and pair that with 4 Roses? Trouble waiting to happen.

Miss y'all! If I don't see you in Brooklyn, I hope to run into you in Kentucky.
    Mark Twain was right, "There ain't no such thing as too much good whisky."

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Goji Berries & Bourbon

There is actually some scientific data on the goji that it reverses the aging process. Advance with caution, the world has enough pregnant teenage girls.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Guru

Hmmm, interesting. About three hours ago and before seeing this thread, I ate my first goji berries, ever. What a coincidence!

They taste great but boy, are they ugly. However, I also noticed that they are flavored with pomegranite "and other natural berry flavors". So, maybe they don't taste so great on their own.

Maybe I should eat a bunch of them on Valentine's Day.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Out of curiosity...being unfamiliar with Goji berries...I found this informative site:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/comp...dex/a/goji.htm

Hey, if it tastes good...they certainly won't hurt you and may help.

"Goji berries have a mild tangy taste that is slightly sweet and sour. They have a similar shape and chewy texture as raisins."

Noting the plant family.."Goji berries grow on an evergreen shrub"..maybe a Goji Gin...??