Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

80 proof, huh (yeah!), what is it good for?... (Younger members: Google Edwin Starr)

Was trying to up-sell a store customer Saturday at the liquor store from Wild Turkey 80-proof to 101, and she looked at me askance as I attempted to explain that it was actually cheaper after her friend added his own water to bring it to drinking proof. She took the nominally-cheaper 80.
    Which got me to wondering, what was the last 80-proof bourbon I drank? I couldn't think of it. I've had 80-proof rye recently (Pikesville and Rittenhouse), mostly in mixed drinks. But, I can't find a single 80-proof bourbon on my shelf (even when I looked in the 'ready-to-drink' closet). So, what was it?
    Ironic, isn't it: 80-proof spirits are the basic money-makers for the general distilleries still existing -- and I can't remember the last time I had one!
    How about you? What's your 80-proofer?
    Tim

Virtuoso

Re: 80 proof, huh (yeah!), what is it good for?... (Younger members: Google Edwin Sta

I.W. Harper 15 yr. 80 from the BHC! I like it as a starter some nights but only as a starter! one drink of something else and you can hang the Harper up! It taste like water after a few stronger samples.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: 80 proof, huh (yeah!), what is it good for?... (Younger members: Google Edwin Sta

I know the last 80 proof bourbon I had: 180 month old Jim Beam 1975...a bottle you yourself gifted me, Tim.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I know the last 80 proof bourbon I had: 180 month old Jim Beam 1975...a bottle you yourself gifted me, Tim.
    Well, there you go, Timothy! You got the last of it!

(That's "Edwin Starr", by the way, in the abbreviated title.)
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 02-04-2008 at 20:40.
    Tim

Administrator in exile

In defense of your customer, I have to say that WT80 is, in my opinion, the best 80 proof whiskey on the market!

(but I agree with you, she should have bought the 101.)
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    In defense of your customer, I have to say that WT80 is, in my opinion, the best 80 proof whiskey on the market!

(but I agree with you, she should have bought the 101.)
    Agreed all 'round.
    Tim

Connoisseur

I actually have an open bottle of 80 proof Setter on the shelf. Nothing special for drinking but you can soak fish in it before smoking, and it tastes pretty good. Picked it up because I'd never seen the label before, and it was 8 bucks.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Was trying to up-sell a store customer Saturday at the liquor store from Wild Turkey 80-proof to 101, and she looked at me askance as I attempted to explain that it was actually cheaper after her friend added his own water to bring it to drinking proof. She took the nominally-cheaper 80.
    Which got me to wondering, what was the last 80-proof bourbon I drank? I couldn't think of it. I've had 80-proof rye recently (Pikesville and Rittenhouse), mostly in mixed drinks. But, I can't find a single 80-proof bourbon on my shelf (even when I looked in the 'ready-to-drink' closet). So, what was it?
    Ironic, isn't it: 80-proof spirits are the basic money-makers for the general distilleries still existing -- and I can't remember the last time I had one!
    How about you? What's your 80-proofer?

Eighty proof?! I can't remember the last time I drank anything sub-100 proof.

Guru

I have an early 80's Old Fitz Prime that's not too bad. Of course I much prefer the Old Fitz BIB, but when I want something lighter for whatever reason, I reach for the prime.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Aside from the 80 proof OO I had this weekend I think WT80 was the last one I had. I didn't really have a choice since I wasn't in the mood for beer and it was the only bourbon they had at the bar we were at during the summer, I don't think they had any rye either. The WT was decent, I couldn't really complain about it, but the OO wasn't so great. It will probably get another go this weekend but I do not have high hopes for it, unfortunately.
    I'm kind of put off by 80 proof stuff although I do own a few bottles in the 80 - 85 proof range. Someday I'll open them but I always find something else I have that I want to try more when I'm thinking about it. The OO was an exception though, it was the only rye I had on hand that I had yet to try so I figured it was time.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas