Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

doing a tasting, but...

it occurs to me that I'm not so sure on how to do it. Was thinking of collecting a few bucks from the friends coming (about 9 or 10) and finding a few tasty bottles that we wouldn't normally see. Anybody have any suggestions on how to put em together?

Enthusiast

Re: doing a tasting, but...

Rudy,

I just started a tasting group. Here is how we are doing it.

The first week (last Thursday, to be exact), I supplied all of the bottles. I bought a new bottle of EC12 for the group, not for personal consumption.

The focus of the tasting was on two comparable products from HH and BT: EC12 and BT. We also did an old/young comparison between EW Black and EC12.

Next week, another member will bring a bottle to add to the club collection. My private stash will be safely off limits. The following week, another member will bring a bottle. Repeat. Repeat.

Eventually, we'll have a respectable collection.

We also combine tasting with other fun activities: eating dinner, playing cards, playing Nintendo Wii, playing RISK, etc.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    Next week, another member will bring a bottle to add to the club collection....The following week, another member will bring a bottle. Repeat. Repeat.
    You're meeting every week?!?!?

Now that sounds good.

Roger

Virtuoso

First let me start this post by saying welcome back Ruby! I have been thinkin about you and your trip you were taking!

If your friends are bourbon drinkers you can do the bring your favorite bottle over tasting or your idea of a few bucks and grab a nice variety of bottles to sample!

I would also say pick one guy from the group to pour the 2 your comparing and let the rest of the group go into the tasting blind! Then switch the guy pouring for the next comparison. This way several people can go blind on the tasting... not in the literal sense unless you really start drinking!

Most of all have fun!

Once again welcome back!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

I like Chucks Age vs. Youth....Henry McKenna (4), Evan Williams (7), EC 12 (12) and you can even add in the EC 18. He has several good tasting ideas and combinations in his book...
    Todd

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    You're meeting every week?!?!?

Now that sounds good.

Roger
    Yeah, Roger...It's great having no kids. Plus, like I said, we always have an alibi to meet: dinner, cards, etc.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

The last tasting I attended, the host supplied the bottles but that's not always the case. I hosted a tasting and some bottles were supplied by those attending....there's really not right or wrong way. I would suggest a couple of things though.

1. If you serve food, serve protein based foods and nothing spicy
    2. Only use spring water for cleansing the palate and cutting, if necessary
    3. Avoid colognes or perfumes
    4. Conduct the tasting in a well lit room
    5. Try not to have too many bottles to sample - the taste buds will begin to deaden after a number of samples.

Besides Chuck's book, there are good references on the web for conducting a tasting. Good luck.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby K View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions on how to put em together?
    Chuck does.

If you've been waiting for one more reason to get his book, this is it.

My tasting group doesn't charge, but I sometimes wonder if newbies would be less intimidated if we did. It perplexes me how many acquaintances will pay $35 to go to a professional tasting of standard, okay whiskey, but can't make it to a free sampling of unobtainium.

Roger