Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Thumbs up Informative Scotch listings - notes

http://petitewines.co.uk/Scotch_whis...ng_notes_G.htm

Example:

"Glen Garioch
    Region: Highlands
    District: Eastern

Glen Garioch (pronounced "Glen Gerrie") is an assemblage of gray granite buildings located in a small glen near Aberdeen. It has been producing whisky, though sometimes sporadically, since 1797. It is quite traditional, still producing its own maltings. It produces a peaty, smoky whisky that takes one back to an earlier time when such whiskies were quite common in the Highlands. Though quite traditional in the way it produces whisky, it has been recognized for technological innovations that recycle its waste heat to warm its greenhouses, where flowers and vegetables are grown and ripened-- including 150 tons of tomatoes a year."

Never had it but the greenhouse is a great use of "waste heat" put to good use....hmmm...I assume this be implemented an other distilleries.

Connoisseur

Re: Informative Scotch listings - notes

Bookmarked! Thanks for the link.

Enthusiast

it has been recognized for technological innovations that recycle its waste heat to warm its greenhouses, where flowers and vegetables are grown and ripened-- including 150 tons of tomatoes a year."

Nothing new really,on Islay they heat the village swimmingpool from Port Ellen already since the 80`s.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Man do I have a lot of whiskey related bookmarks.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    http://petitewines.co.uk/Scotch_whis...ng_notes_G.htm

Example:

"Glen Garioch
    Region: Highlands
    District: Eastern

Glen Garioch (pronounced "Glen Gerrie") is an assemblage of gray granite buildings located in a small glen near Aberdeen. It has been producing whisky, though sometimes sporadically, since 1797. It is quite traditional, still producing its own maltings. It produces a peaty, smoky whisky that takes one back to an earlier time when such whiskies were quite common in the Highlands. Though quite traditional in the way it produces whisky, it has been recognized for technological innovations that recycle its waste heat to warm its greenhouses, where flowers and vegetables are grown and ripened-- including 150 tons of tomatoes a year."

Never had it but the greenhouse is a great use of "waste heat" put to good use....hmmm...I assume this be implemented an other distilleries.

Overall, it's a good site. My only quip is that it appears at least a decade out of date. Some of the expressions (or, in some cases, even distilleries!) are no longer in production, or have been replaced with others.

For example, the Glenfiddich Special Reserve has stated a minumum age of 12 years since I've been old enough to drink.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus