Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Lead Crystal PSA

Although I was very happy to take advantage of Joel's great find at Target for the Riedel glasses, I have to admit I was a little disappointed that they weren't lead crystal. I have two champagne flutes that are, and I love em.

Then I saw this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_crystal

Of course, it appears that for only short usage it isn't a big deal. I also now see that this has been talked about on this site a few years ago. But in any case, this was all news to me. I had no idea. Just a FYI for others out there... I guess regular ole glass isn't so bad after all!
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Re: Lead Crystal PSA

Wherever Wikipedia came up with that info is erroneous. Lead oxide is fused with silica in the glass blowing process. The fusion does not allow for lead oxide to be dissolved into a solution. California has a proposition that limits the lead content of decanters. After all it is California... if the lead ever dissolves.....you would find your decanter or glass full of sand. Drink and or store your favorite bourbon in any crystal decanter you like. But...a glass is a glass... There is just a feel of luxury when holding/drinking from crystal.

Guru

From the FDA:
    "Lead crystal glassware may leach lead. "The crystalware industry has established voluntary lead-leaching limits for crystalware," says Kashtock, "that most foreign and domestic manufacturers follow." As a precaution, children and pregnant women should avoid frequent use of crystal glassware. Lead crystal baby bottles should never be used."

http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/1998/198_lead.html

And from the Riedel website:

Health Warning - Lead Crystal Ware
    Recent studies have found that lead can leach into food from lead crystal hollowware. The International Crystal Federation has provided FDA a report of its research on lead leaching into food and alcoholic beverages, and the industry has started a program in which manufacturers share technological developments to reduce lead leaching. Also FDA has initiated studies of its own on lead leaching from crystalware.

Until FDA reviews all the data and determines what further actions, if any, need to be taken, the agency advises consumers not to store alcoholic beverages in lead crystal decanters, and pregnant women not to routinely drink from lead crystal glasses. Infants should not be fed with lead crystal baby bottles.

Because lead is ubiquitous, FDA recognizes that no effort will totally eliminate lead from the food supply, however desirable that may be. But FDA and many other federal, state and local governments are working together through all available means to reduce exposure to lead. The initial focus is on the sources likely to result in the greatest exposure.

http://www.imageryproducts.com/riedel.shtml

Maybe that old Fred Flinstone jelly glass ain't so bad after all....
    Last edited by jburlowski; 02-25-2008 at 14:58.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Lead crystal baby bottles? If our society is producing such items we have bigger things to worry about than lead poisoning.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Lead crystal baby bottles? If our society is producing such items we have bigger things to worry about than lead poisoning.
    Come'on... they go with the silver spoon and the designer diapers.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

So, in the interest of public safety, I decided to empty a very lovely (but now I know potentially very hazardous) lead crystal decanter that I received as a gift from my wife. (All right dear, what exactly did you have in mind... the life insurance policy?)

Anyway, said decanter was filled with FRSmB... and is now empty. The next morning, I noticed the following syptoms:
    • Nausea
    • Headache
    • Inability to concentrate
    • Memory loss
    Question: Is this the result of lead toxicity and thus did I, in fact,
    perform a courageous and noble public service
    or
    was it merely the result of too much FR?
    John B

Guru

I've run into the same thing but I also have another symptom:

* Gaining of up to 400 and not less than 250 lbs of strange woman in the bed next to me.

Damn that lead.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Guru

Dane,

Please tell me you're talking about two or three of 'em in the 125-133 lb. range.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Dane,

Please tell me you're talking about two or three of 'em in the 125-133 lb. range.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Otherwise you may need to have a good look at what you're drinking!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

Sorry guys, but I did say woman and not women. You mean I'm the only one this happens to?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.