Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Irreverent One

Re: Lead Crystal PSA

One of the first studies to show that lead leached out of crystal was published back about 1988. Since then I've followed the practice of putting liquor into decanters prior to guests' arrival, and back into the bottles after they leave.

The only decanter I no longer use is my WT decanter. Would it be wrong to serve something else in it? Say PVW 15?

As for lead crystal, some manufacturers are moving to titanium, which is not only safer but makes for stronger glasses. One of them, Zwiesel, claims that their glasses are "truly break resistant, practically unscratchable and virtually unstainable"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    ....As for lead crystal, some manufacturers are moving to titanium, which is not only safer but makes for stronger glasses. One of them, Zwiesel, claims that their glasses are "truly break resistant, practically unscratchable and virtually unstainable"
    That would be good. My wife just broke a wine glass (Riedel Vinum) this morning while cleaning up last night's supper dishes.

I have shyed away from crystal decanters because of lead leaching. I love crystal though. I have a lot of crystal glasses, wine glasses and whiskey tumblers/double old fashioneds, candy dishes, cake plater etc.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I have a question on the lead thing. If a lead container has held a brandy, scotch, (ie higher alcohol content), for several years, and you empty the contents and clean it out thoroughly, is the container then "tainted" in any way. I mean, will the lead leach more quickly with the next contents? Have you done something to the integrity of the inside to make it funky? I ask, because I have a crystal container that has held brandy in it for around 10 years, and now I'm not sure what to do with it once I dump out what's in it.

Thanks,

JOE

Here's what I came across:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060600299.html

And his follow up, dealing more with liquor:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062000318.html