Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushmills 16

Bushmills 16

I've just bought the Jameson 12 Year (1780). I think it's a great whiskey. Really enjoy it. I usually prefer the Jamesons over the Bushmills, as the Bushmills are a bit creamy for my taste. However, I see that the Bush 16 has a three wood influence (Bourbon, Port, Sherry). Hmmm, sounds interesting. Anybody try it?

GD

Guru

Re: Bushmills 16

Honestly, I prefer the 10 yr. Its flavor profile is closer to the Jameson's 12 which in turn reminds me of Redbreast.

Connoisseur

I like Black Bush and other Bushmills expressions a good deal. But the 16yo is great. I agree with what Brad is saying about resemblances to other whiskeys in the younger renditions, but the 16 was the first Irish whiskey I truly loved (now I prefer Red Breast, but I digress...). Probably this is because of the wood influence, which is pronounced, and which is such a huge component of the bourbons and Scotches I love. I guess what I'm driving at is that the family resemblance w/other Bushmills is there, but the complexity and wood influence lifts it above those.

Taster

The Bushmills 16 yo is great. However for the money I think that there are better choices of Irish Whiskey. Jameson 12 is outstanding and its almost half the price of the 16. As well as Black Bush. If you are going to spend that much get the Connemara Cask Strength. One of the finest I have ever tasted.

Disciple

I have a bottle of the Bushmills 16 and quite like it. I like it better than the 10 yo. I can't say for sure whether I prefer the 16 to Blackbush or not. I might have to do a side by side with that soon.

I haven't visited that bottle in a while, I have to do that soon. One reason is that I probably won't replace it because of the price point. I don't regret buying it, but I would rather spend the money on good bourbon that is both cheaper and more to my taste.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple

Another excellent Irish is Tullamore Dew 12yr. If you can catch it on sale, it is even cheaper than the Jamesons 12 (1780) which is also excellent!

Thomas

Advanced Taster

I have enjoyed Bushmills blended white label on the rocks during summer for many years. I purchased a bottle of Bushmills 16 to celebrate my early retirement last November. I enjoyed it very much. Excellent for sipping. Bushmills has that unique taste. The 16 is definitely woody and very good. The price will probably prevent me from purchasing another bottle any time soon.

Advanced Taster

I just re-visited my bottle of Bushmills 16 and didn't like it nearly as much. Very strange. I picked up a something sour that I didn't notice originally. I just received the 2008 Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible, and Murray described a little sulfur in the nose and "poor sherry" in the finish. I think that's what I picked up.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I just re-visited my bottle of Bushmills 16 and didn't like it nearly as much. Very strange. I picked up a something sour that I didn't notice originally...
    I drank a little less than a third of a bottle and then gave the rest away. I don't recall picking up anything sour but the "three wood finish" seemed a bit much, sort of like too much finish and not enough malt if you get my drift. This is going to sound strange, but it was too bourbony. Sort of a neither "fish nor foul" type of situation.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I just re-visited my bottle of Bushmills 16 and didn't like it nearly as much. Very strange. I picked up a something sour that I didn't notice originally. I just received the 2008 Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible, and Murray described a little sulfur in the nose and "poor sherry" in the finish. I think that's what I picked up.
    In all fairness, Murray is somewhat biased in favor of the Cooley distilleries (Kilbeggan, Tyrconnel, etc), which I also thoroughly enjoy, but I digress...

I find the Bushmills 16 to be an excellent whiskey. Definitely a digestif, much like Glenmorangie's Wood Finish series. It is definitely on the sweet side, but I haven't found it overly-woody. There is, IMHO, just enough room to let the malt show its true colors, though it is pretty clear that the real showcase is the wood influence. There is a lot of complexity here, as it possesses the body of a Lowland Scotch, with an elegant Sherry note, mingled with the fruitiness of the Port.

If you like Jameson's (the most over-hyped, over-rated whiskey in the world, aside from Crown Royal, IMHO), you might not go for this. Try the Bushmills 10-year instead, as it places more emphasis on the malt.

I would love to try the 21-year, which is aged in Bourbon oak and Sherry oak, then finished in a Madeira drum. I can't seem to get my hands on a bottle, though.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus