Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 2/08: WL Weller Special Reserve

I bought mine at Harvest Town in Fountain City. There were a few more bottles there.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Connoisseur

Beginning impressions: Purchased the bottle of W.L. Weller Special Reserve for $12.99 at Harvest Town in Knoxville, Tennessee. A real decent price for any bourbon. It has a similiar bottle to Old Weller Antique and 10 Year old Rip Van Winkle except the label is fresh and modern looking, not antique like the two mentioned. The color is a beautiful light amber, almost golden color, which is very pleasant.

Neat: Poured in a glass, This Weller has decent legs. It fills the nostrills with the mellow sweet smell of corn, and wheat(this is a wheater).You can also detect the smell of vanilla, and, to me, the smell of freshly sawed lumber. And then the strong smell of alcohol, and for me a least, very stong for a 90 proof sip. Then comes the drink. After this Weller hits the mouth, the surprising thing to me is that the stong smell of alcohol diasppears as it crosses the tongue. The taste of corn becomes stronger than the nose, as well as the sweetness of wheat. The taste then mellows from corn, to vanilla,carmel, and pecans. It has a nice finish , maybe a little short, but respectable and lacking the comlexity of the older bourbons (such as Pappy and Hirsch). Still a very, and I mean very good drink from a $12.99 bottle of bourbon. Overall, I am very impressed. Recommend this bourbon neat.

With water: Strangely, with water, the taste of corn, wheat, and vanilla subside while the string taste of alcohol comes to the forefront. How can the taste of alcohol increase when it has been cut by water? Some of you experts will have to explain that to me. The aftertaste too seems to be overridden with the taste of alcohol. Overall, Neat is better, and not recommended with water.

With Ice: The addition of ice weakens the taste of alcohol and prolongs the taste of corn that is overcome by vanilla and pecans, maybe more so than even neat. To me, the finish is lengthened by the addition of the ice, with the mellow corn, vanilla, and pecans blending for a good taste. It still lacks the character of the older wheat bourbons, but is very satisfying none the less. I would recommend Weller Reserve and Ice.

With Coke: Wow! A very good bourbon to mix with Coke and at the price is unbeatable. I will be keeping this on hand as an addition for my friends who prefer bourbon and Coke. Heck, I even like Bourbon and Coke and will use it and order it at bars who offer it as a mixer for Coke. Recommend.

Conclusion: This is a great value bourbon. I would say that it is a very good bourbon even when you take away the price consideration. Thank you BOTM for introducing me to this drink. I would recommend this bourbon to you.
    Last edited by shyster512; 02-16-2008 at 20:36.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Connoisseur

Glad to see the W.L.Weller SR win a BOTM. I have enjoyed the SR for some time now. I drink it neat and find the lighter sweeter taste of the wheated whiskey to my liking on those days when light is just right.

What can you say about a whiskey that tastes great and, in todays market of grossly overi-inflated prices, a real bargain. My experience with the SR led me to purchase the 10 year old Centennial from the Bourbon Heritage collection as well as the Antique 107.

I plan to buy as many different versions of W.L. Weller as I can find. Well...cause it taste great and I can afford this one.

Cheers!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Taster

I really enjoy the weller antique 107. Have to pick up some of the special reserve. Has anyone done a side by side tasting on these 2 ?

Guru

Weller Special Reserve is a great value bourbon. I always recommend it to novices.

I've done taste comparisons between Weller Special Reserve and Weller Antique and they have a very similar taste profile with the Special Reserve having about 15% less alcohol.

I'm enjoying a splash of Special Reserve right on.

Will

Guru

As coincidence would have it, I had one bottle of WSR that I had not opened nor tried to date. I played poker the other night and brought along my unopened bottle of WSR. I've always enjoyed the Weller brand and this one did not dissapoint. VA does not carry Weller products so now I'll have to figure out where it's carried in MD or D.C.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Taster

This bourbon is in the best dollar value club right with it's heavier brother antique 107. I use this bourbon when starting the progression for tasting of fine bourbon to introduce friends and usually end with some of it's relatives of the Pappy VanWinkle family. A great pour everyone should have at least one bottle on hand. nose of butterscotch and carmel to start with a smooth mellow finish.

Apprentice

As luck would have it I am in the middle of a bottle this month. Being the newbie that I am it's part of my "getting to know bourbon" progression and I feel awfully lucky that it also turns out to be my first BOTM. Such a deal.

I started this bottle after having WR and BT. At first it almost seemed too smooth, but after enjoying alone and not comparing it directly to the BT it stands on its own quite well. The nose is incredible, it is as sweet and smooth as promised and up here in Michigan it's only $17 plus tax.

One newbie question though. The label says "Distilled by W.L. Weller and Sons, Frankfort Kentucky". It's my understanding that this is a BT product and on the "Brands" database on this forum it is listed as a BT product. So is the labeling correct? A throwback? Deceiving?

-Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

While there are arguments to be made against the practice, American whiskey distilleries have always used dba (doing-business-as) or assumed business name labeling. At one time, they even went so far as to legally change the name of the distillery temporarily, even hanging out a "shingle" with the assumed name on it when the assumed-name product was being distilled.

W. L. Weller and Sons is a venerable old name with a long history but today it is an assumed business name of Buffalo Trace. However, Buffalo Trace is completely transparent about that fact and the above information is easy to find.

What I would like to see is for producers to keep using the assumed business names, because of their historical significance, but put somewhere on the label something like, "a product of Sazerac Inc." or similar. (Sazerac is BT's parent company.)

Enthusiast

I ordered my bottle of Weller SR from the grocery store that is practically "on campus." I hope I get my bottle before we choose a new BOTM.

My last bottle of Weller SR disappeared in a single night of hanging out with my siblings, playing Nintendo Wii, eating Chinese food, and drinking whiskey. I can't think of a better combo.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut