Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T W Samuels

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

T W Samuels

Today I went to the liquor store at Campbell Station Road in Knoxville TN and bought their last bottle of OGD 114 which is what I went in there for....

The cashier told me how he really liked the T.W. Samuels.... It was 8.29 a bottle ..... I dont know what it would cost in a reasonable state.... TN way overcharges for alcohol.... but I added it to what I was buying on his recommendation. Now this whiskey which is made in Bardstown is very good really for the price. I mean I might prefer EW Black, but it is not bad at all..... It is very simple and warm.... not sweet. The one I bought is the 6YO. There is also a BIB variety, but the cashier did not recommend it to me.... I am curious what you alls experience is with this whiskey.. As far as I can tell, because it is not sweet, it would still be good to warm up a coca cola drink or sprite....

I am drinking it with a little water.... and its not like the OGD 114... does not have the sweetness of other bourbons, but its not bad! Has a lot of the hotter taste you find in a bourbon whatever that is.

Curious how you all like it...

Disciple

Re: T W Samuels

What was the proof? I have a Bib(unopened) from the same line. Should be a HH derivative of their basic bourbon.

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

the 6YO is 90 proof which is what I bought. They also sell the BIB for the same price but its not 6YO

Virtuoso

I've had T.W. Samuels *Blend* (80 proof), and was unimpressed. But I'd still like to try the others to see how they compare.

Enthusiast

well let me tell you tonight I did a little experiment.... I first had a little Jim Beam Black and followed it with Old Grand Dad 114 and found the OGD to have a lot more sweetness and I had a lot more pleasure drinking it than the Black... then i tried some Elmer T. Lee and found it really lacking in taste. It was OK but... not much of what I was looking for such as black and red essence... mostly yellow... it was sort of mellow.... I decided it couldn't take water. I thought... OK, Elmer T. Lee needs to be drank without water to get the effect. i was afraid the cork was leaking out the alcohol! I also tried some Weller Antique! and it was actually very very tasty.... after all this, I tried the TW Samuels which I had disdain for last night and found it has some of the liquorice that is in like the Weller...... I found the TW Samuel to have more 'complexity' than the Elmer T. Lee! This is so fascinating! now I like the TW Samuel 90 Proof 6YO.... Now I like this bourbon better than Jim Beam Black, better than Elmer T. Lee. I still like Antique Weller better, but this TW Samuels for 8 bucks is pretty tasty.

I don't know if tasting half a dozen bourbons affects your taste buds....... so ... that could be part of it too....

Enthusiast

this stuff is damn tasty once you learn what to look for.... if it cost 8 bucks here, it must cost about 5 in a place like NH or KS..... this is a steal for premium....

Enthusiast

.... I feel stupid saying this, but this bourbon which I was writing off last night is a prize winner tonite. I am sipping and cherishing the tastes in this fine bourbon (I had my wife pour me more of what she was going to pour down the drain)....

Enthusiast

well I tried the TW Samuels again yesterday and think that when I was liking it it was after having a few other good bourbons like OGD 114 etc....... Do you think the bourbons get tastier at closing time? If you have it before having much bourbon... then the taste of getting your mouth washed out with soap seems to get in there and screw this bourbon up. Funny, I didn't notice it the other day after having a few other pours before it.

Advanced Taster

I've never seen the 6YO, but it seems it's a little better than the BIB. Since my uncle owns the old T.W. Samuels distillery in Deatsville ( no chance of it ever distilling again, though HH and Maker's lease or own the warehouses on property), I felt obligated to try it out. It might be good for paint thinner, but it is unfit for human consumption.

Enthusiast

I don't really care for the TW Samuels I bought... I think I might add it to the list of what i won't buy again. I will say that it is pretty good if you have been drinking a bunch already, but otherwise, I prefer other bourbons. Evan Williams etc.....