Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dickel No. 12

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

Dickel No. 12

I picked up a bottle of this recently, and it was much better than I remembered. Nice aged-bourbon type notes, polished wood, toffee, etc. It had last tried it several years ago and wasn't much of a fan.

Has anyone tried a recent Dickel?

I know from Cowdery's blog that they are running short on stocks, I wonder if they are putting older whiskies in the 12.

Advanced Taster

Re: Dickel No. 12

I tried a recent bottle of Dickel No. 12 a few months ago. I was disappointed. I got a little cough medicine taste. I've never heard anyone else describe this taste. Maybe No. 12 is just not for me. I've never tried the scarce No. 8.

Disciple

I had it at the latest yesterday. Wonderful stuff and for my personal taste it gets better and better for every time I taste it. This bottle had 04 under it and Backus name on the label witch made me wonder when he did step back for Lunn. Anyone knows?

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

I've noticed the price of Dickel going up lately. I've seen it for as much as 23$ + tax. When I saw it for 15$ a little while back I snapped it up. It is delicious but I feel right now like it is lacking something that I like in many Bourbans - maybe depth? I would like to try it next to Gentleman Jack.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PAspirit1 View Post
    I've noticed the price of Dickel going up lately. I've seen it for as much as 23$ + tax. When I saw it for 15$ a little while back I snapped it up. It is delicious but I feel right now like it is lacking something that I like in many Bourbans - maybe depth? I would like to try it next to Gentleman Jack.
    In case that post was vague I want to express that my administration is pro Dickel #12. It is a fine product that is simply different from bourbon.

you are nurturing my craving for dickel.

not sure what is 'the best' of dickel, any clues?

i've always thought of it as a most reliable, drinkable straight, TRUSTWORTHY sort of whiskey, that didn't make ya mad to swaller.

A feller pours dickel in ya is worth listening to even when he's tellin one Hell of a lie.

but i havn't tasted it in ten years. what's the good stuff?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If I can find any, I intend to pick up a bottle of the No. 12. The Barrel Select is supposed to be better, but it costs twice as much.

Enthusiast

Theres a store in MD where the #12 has risen to 18$ + tax and the Barrel Select is 20$ + tax.

Taster

One of my favorite pours. I try this on my friends who"don't like whiskey" I usually have a bottle open all the time.

I picked up Dickel No. 12 today. This was on my 'to buy' list to try all types of whiskey. Well, maybe not all. But this was my 'too try' for Tennessee Whiskey.

I find it very similar to Buffalo Trace. Does anyone else feel that way? To me it smells, tastes the same except for Buffalo Trace being a a little more spicier. What is anyone else opinion? I'm sitting here sipping waiting for a response.

(My other purchase today is DALMORE 12 Year Single Highland Malt. I will be trying that after Dickel subsides)