Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Van Winkle\'s 13y (and older) rye

I have this from a trusted source and it has been posted on another whiskey forum. Nevertheless, I hope Julian sees and confirms it:

The legendary Van Winkle 13 yr old rye is no more. Finished.

And what's left on the shelves is actually much OLDER than the 13 years stated on the label. Apparently, the 13y rye was all made in 1985 and has been bottled now for the past five years. But now it's gone.

Which means that if your liquor store has recent stock (2002), that whiskey is really 17 years old. The 2001 bottles are 16 years old, and so on. Only the '98 edition was 13 yo at time of bottling.

So be a pal. Grab what's still left on the shelves, pack securely and send it Priority Mail to me here in Florida. Thanks guys! Your generosity leaves me speechless.

Omar

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Van Winkle\'s 13y (and older) rye

I hope your source wasn't just extrapolating, knowing that new bottlings have been released. It's possible that all of the 13-year-old was dumped at the same time expressly to prevent additional aging, but is only being bottled as needed.

All I know is that I bought a bottle recently for my dad and need to get one for myself. It's damn good stuff.

By the way, when I was home over Father's Day I noticed that Dad's liquor stock looked pretty depleted. He blames evaporation. Also, the scamp poured a bottle of Mattingly and Moore blended whiskey into an empty Maker's Mark bottle, just to see if my brother and I would notice. We did.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Did it work, Chuck? Oh I've posed the question too soon. Being a father myself there are things that one does from time to time to the hapless offspring . Did you and your brother , good sons that you both no doubt are , set about to get the old man's liquor stocks replenished and in order so that he will not have to pull that again?

Bobby Cox

I did what any good older brother would do. I told my younger brother to do it after I had left.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Good thinking Chuck!

Bobby Cox

Enthusiast

Count your blessings, friends. I wish I had me a little brother. If I tried that stuff on my little sister, she'd go buy some good whiskey, send ME the bill and then bill me $50 an hour for her time buying the jug. And tell me that at $50 I'm getting a family discount rate. They're a cruel, hard bunch, these little sisters.

Back OT, I just bought some last month, but I'll pick up an extra bottle of VW 13 Yr. Rye this weekend. This stuff's too good to see it all disappear from the shelf.

Virtuoso

I just joined this discussion group last week. I was also in Louisville last week, but didn't read this thread until I was back home. :-(

Fortunately, I had picked up two bottles last week. But, after reading this thread, I called my sister in the Louisville area. Yesterday, she picked up three more bottles for me. :-)

I also had her pick up a couple extra liters of Buffalo Trace. When I first drank this bourbon on the rocks, I didn't like it near as well as Elmer T. Lee Single Barrell. But, after I got home and put it in a snifter, I liked the bourbon much more.

Right now, all the bottles are on the way back from Louisville to WV with my parents (who were visiting Louisville last week as well). The goods are ready and waiting for me next time I visit my parents.

Guru

Chuck,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It's possible that all of the 13-year-old was dumped at the same time expressly to prevent additional aging, but is only being bottled as needed.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't get the implication of your statement when I first read it. I had always assumed that bottling always followed immediately after dumping. Your statement implies that bourbon is sometimes stored in non-reactive vessels after dumping and before bottling. Is this a common practice? Does it apply in the case of the Wathen's that I tried yesterday for the first time? (Someone mentioned that it is from so-called "old stock" and is not currently being distilled. Is that old stock sitting in glass-lined containers?)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dave, If I may. There is a whiskey AH Hirsch that is owned by the Hue family of Kentucky. It was distilled in 1974 Some of it was dumped from the barrels at 16 Yo that would have been 1990 It is in a stainless steel tank at Buffalo Trace some of it was allowed to age to 20 Yo and the same thing except it has all been bottled . This is not a common practice , It only seems to be employed on superlative whiskies. I had read somewhere that some of the whiskey at Mitchners Where the hirsch is from was condemned and destroyed by the state because it posed a fire hazard. Mitchners had overproduced and subsequently went belly up . The deal with that is there will never be anymore of it , period. When it's gone it's gone. Julian VanWinkle bottles the Hirsch . So it's not too far out of the realm of possibilities that he may have done the same with some of his own stock. The Ryes he has was a find , I guess maybe some lost inventory , and a lot of guesswork has been employed to locate a source. He isn't telling. From time to time reports show up on here that it is running out etc. This was a response Chuck made to that , someone posted that what is being bottled now may have been aged to 14-15 Yo . In all likelihood it probably was dumped at the same time. Who knows, maybe a few select barrels are being monitored as they age further. I seriously doubt if this has been done to Wathens because it is single barrel so that would preclude using 1 big tank , I suppose Charles Medley could use a 50 gallon tank for each barrel . You can be assured that if it was I would not be able to afford it. Instead of 25-27 dollars a 750ml you would see the Hirsch and Pappy prices of 75 -200 Dollars a 750ml.

As you suggested, single barrel bourbons are dumped into a small tank for bottling.