Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Van Winkle\'s 13y (and older) rye

Chuck,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It's possible that all of the 13-year-old was dumped at the same time expressly to prevent additional aging, but is only being bottled as needed.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't get the implication of your statement when I first read it. I had always assumed that bottling always followed immediately after dumping. Your statement implies that bourbon is sometimes stored in non-reactive vessels after dumping and before bottling. Is this a common practice? Does it apply in the case of the Wathen's that I tried yesterday for the first time? (Someone mentioned that it is from so-called "old stock" and is not currently being distilled. Is that old stock sitting in glass-lined containers?)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Dave, If I may. There is a whiskey AH Hirsch that is owned by the Hue family of Kentucky. It was distilled in 1974 Some of it was dumped from the barrels at 16 Yo that would have been 1990 It is in a stainless steel tank at Buffalo Trace some of it was allowed to age to 20 Yo and the same thing except it has all been bottled . This is not a common practice , It only seems to be employed on superlative whiskies. I had read somewhere that some of the whiskey at Mitchners Where the hirsch is from was condemned and destroyed by the state because it posed a fire hazard. Mitchners had overproduced and subsequently went belly up . The deal with that is there will never be anymore of it , period. When it's gone it's gone. Julian VanWinkle bottles the Hirsch . So it's not too far out of the realm of possibilities that he may have done the same with some of his own stock. The Ryes he has was a find , I guess maybe some lost inventory , and a lot of guesswork has been employed to locate a source. He isn't telling. From time to time reports show up on here that it is running out etc. This was a response Chuck made to that , someone posted that what is being bottled now may have been aged to 14-15 Yo . In all likelihood it probably was dumped at the same time. Who knows, maybe a few select barrels are being monitored as they age further. I seriously doubt if this has been done to Wathens because it is single barrel so that would preclude using 1 big tank , I suppose Charles Medley could use a 50 gallon tank for each barrel . You can be assured that if it was I would not be able to afford it. Instead of 25-27 dollars a 750ml you would see the Hirsch and Pappy prices of 75 -200 Dollars a 750ml.

Guru

A reply to myself? Sure. Why not? At least I'll have no one but myself to blame if the conversation turns boring.

Today I finally opened my Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, 13 y/o, bottle no. D3712. This is marvelous stuff. It bears little resemblance to my memory of Old Overholt or Old Grand Dad, though more to the latter than the former.

It is everything all of you have said about it, spicy, fruity, highly aromatic, and amazingly smooth for its 95.6 proof. The flavors seem to dance lightly on the tongue and then swell to a controlled crescendo at the finish.

I don't taste anything that reminds me of rye bread. Of course, I never was all that sure which taste came from the bread and which came from those bug-like seeds (caraway?) stuck on the outside of the loaf.

I really intended to drink only a half ounce or so, but it tasted so good I just had to have a full two ounces... and then another... Will I stop at two? Damn, this is delicious. How come people (in the main) stopped drinking rye, anyway?

I bought this bottle as an educational experiment, almost hoping I wouldn't like it. Now I'm fighting the urge to order another four bottles from Sam's while it's still available, even if I can't afford it.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't think it's a particularly common practice. I first heard of it being done in the case of Hirsch. It might be just as easy to dump and bottle, then warehouse the bottles, rather than warehousing the whiskey in a stainless steel tank. The one advantage of the tank over the bottles, of course, is that you can decide what it will be (i.e., brand name, etc.) down the road.

The practice makes perfect sense if you have whiskey in wood that you think will not benefit from additional aging.

"How come people (in the main) stopped drinking rye, anyway?"

I was told once that prior to Prohibition, rye had been the dominant domestic whiskey. Therefore, during Prohibition, illegal whiskey was usually claimed to be "rye" because that's what people wanted. In fact it was some sort of pig wash, and it gave rye a bad name. The same thing happened with Irish, so that after Prohibition people tended to reject rye and Irish in favor of bourbon and s____h.

As you suggested, single barrel bourbons are dumped into a small tank for bottling.

Guru

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now I'm fighting the urge to order another four bottles from Sam's while it's still available, even if I can't afford it.

[/QUOTE]

I lost the fight. After I learned that the price is $34.98 at my only known local outlet versus $23.99 at Sam's , and after I factored in the $17 shipping charge (for four bottles) and the 8.25% CA sales tax, I just had to do it.

Now I'm having buyer's remorse. No, not the usual kind. I wonder whether I bought enough.

I received an email a few minutes ago saying that they have shipped my order. Since I don't have to worry about running out any time soon, I think I'll have some right now. (Can I have a "BLEEEE!" ?)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

You probably did the right thing It will run out sooner or later , I was at Liquor Barn the other day and they had about a case of 13 and 6 or 8 of the 12. I missed buying another bottle of 12Yo WT they had some and I did get one bottle and I also thought it was a little on the high side 48 bucks. but then I thought I'd like another and now it's too late. I may do some hunting and find it . Or I could forget it and just get 2 bottles of RR.

Guru

I've never had the WT 12 y/o. It's certainly hard for me to believe that it's better than Kentucky Spirit, which is about the same price. If it is better, then I am probably not worthy.

Of course, two bottles of Russell's Reserve is one of the better second choices you'll ever encounter.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

They introduced it a few years ago and now all of it is going to Japan.