Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Van Winkle\'s 13y (and older) rye

I just returned from Sam's with another bottle. Since this thread started and prompted me to try it again, my cupboard has never been without a bottle of this wonderful whiskey. It's great stuff and hats off to Julian, because he probably could have gotten a higher price for it.

Guru

Would it be heresy for me to suggest that I might enjoy this bottling more than any bourbon in the house right now? (That would include Kentucky Spirit, two expressions of ORVW 107, Blanton's, and Rock Hill Farms.)

I didn't really expect it to live up to my memories when I tried it for the second time; if anything, it was even better than I remembered.

Are any of Julian's ryes in continuing production?

Is any rye that comes close to this one in continuing production? (I have yet to try Wild Turkey and Sazerac.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

I think Sazerac 18 is in the same ballpark as VW13, although I marginally prefer the VW13. I think Sazerac would qualify as still being in "production," but I'm not exactly sure where it comes from.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Buffalo Trace

Enthusiast

Dave,
    IMHO, rye is the finest smelling of spirits and the Sazerac rye SMELLS even better than the VW 13 yr...but nothing tastes better to me than Julian's best. The Sazerac tastes pretty woody to me, but YMMV, I'm just not big on 'many years in the oak' flavors. The Wild Turkey Rye is a VERY GOOD rye, my second favorite tasting rye after the VWFRR13yr. But remember, rye and bourbon aren't the same drink, not at all. If it doesn't suit you to sip, try it in a Sazerac cocktail (swirl 1/2 teaspoon of Herbsaint or Pernod in a glass, add 2 dashes of Peychauds bitters, ~ an oz. of simple syrup and 2 oz of rye). Or mix 2 oz of rye with a bottle of Stewarts ginger beer for an old fashioned Rye and Ginger.

Enthusiast

There are still bottles of 18yr Sazerac Rye on the shelves...but this whiskey was the result of some 'forgotten' barrels, and when it's gone, it's gone.

Disciple

Sure Dude,

BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Tom (Glad To Oblige) C

Guru

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I didn't really expect it to live up to my memories when I tried it for the second time; if anything, it was even better than I remembered.

[/QUOTE]

A couple of weeks ago I finally opened my long-ago Sam's order with four bottles of VWFRR 13 y/o inside. Bottle number D2655 tastes every bit as good as my first bottle.

This afternoon I was feeling in need of a lift; so I decided to pour from this bottle again... and again ... and again ...

Maybe I should consult the actuarial tables and buy the indicated number of cases. Let's see now... I'll be drinking other stuff, too, so let's figure one bottle a month, which conveniently works out to a case a year. Considering my family history, let's say 70 (I'm already years ahead of both Mom and Dad) minus 59, or about 11 cases. Now, how can I get that much cash together, and, more importantly, how could I store it to protect it from theft, earthquakes, etc.?

Damn, this is good stuff. Are we absolutely sure that Julian (to quote songwriter Jimmy Webb) "will never have that recipe again"?

Hell, I'd drink this even without the buzz! Speaking of a buzz, I think I'll turn up my PC's speakers and visit Macarthur Park while I finish my fourth glass of the best rye whiskey (or perhaps the best whiskey, period) in the world.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

It IS awesome isn't it!

Advanced Taster

It most certainly is.

SpeedyJohn