Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Is Buffalo Trace a good "go to" pour?

I just finished off my last bottle of WR and now I'm in the market looking for something else. I found BT at my local liquor store for $24 and was wondering if that's too high for a regular drink. I don't want bottom shelf like JBW or JD. Is BT a good mixer also? If you can suggest something else by all means do. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mashface; 02-20-2008 at 07:15.

Advanced Taster

Re: Is Buffalo Trace a good "go to" pour?

BT is definitely a great all around pour. Great balance and seems to be favored by most that try it. Personally I think it lacks some of the unique personality and characteristics exhibited by other bourbons and thus I don't find myself "craving" it very often. However, it is flawless and tasty and you cannot go wrong w/ it in your cupboard.

Connoisseur

For the buck, I'd say Weller Antique is a great buy ($18.99).

Also, I am now able to get ORVW 10/107 for $25.49 in my area. And, I don't think that's too high for a "go to" pour. In fact, I just purchase four bottles at mentioned price the other day. But, if you want a cheaper ORVW that is still a solid bourbon for a good price, go with the ORVW 10/90 ($20.99).

As far as availability, the Weller Antique is always available but the ORVW isn't. So, I'd define "go to" pour as a bourbon that's good quality for a good value (both mentioned are) and easily accessible like the Weller.

In my opinion, the current bottling of Old Fitz BIB is also a good bourbon for the value. I think I purchased my lone one liter bottle for $19.99. They're also available in the 1.75 liter.

Other additions:

OGD BIB (less than $20)
    OGD 114 (less than $25) - I'd recommend this over the BIB.
    Wild Turkey 101 (less than $20)

If you like wheated bourbon, go with the former recommendations and if you like a more rye'd bourbon then go with the latter.
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 02-20-2008 at 08:02.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Mashface View Post
    I found BT at my local liquor store for $24 and was wondering if that's too high for a regular drink.
    We cannot answer that for you. If it is worth it to you, then it is not too high.

Disciple

It's a better value on sale at $19.99, but the answer to your original question is "Yes!" (Especially compared to WR...)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Taster

BT is definitely worth looking into. A tasty all-around bourbon. Another great all-around (that mixes well, but can also perform neat) is W. L. Weller 7 year Special Reserve. It's usually under $15/750 and is my house bourbon. It was ubiquitous around here, but lately there's been a dearth, so I'm not sure who can find it. (We're supposedly the biggest account for that one in the state, but they say that they don't have any for us...)
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Guru

BT is my everyday pour.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

BT is my standard, always available bourbon. When I pick it up in CO in a 1.75l bottle, the cost-per-fifth comes down to around 15 or 16 bucks.

However...

I'm a big fan of the current bottling of EC12. It's cheaper, and I think it's more complex. I feel guilty mixing it, though. Then again, I don't mix my BT.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

As for a regular or "go to" pour, I would say BT fits into that category fairly well, but, not for $24 IMHO. My personal ceiling for a "go to" bottle is $20. In my neighborhood that usually includes Weller Antique, Weller 12 and OC10 (if you can still find it).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    In my neighborhood that usually includes Weller Antique, Weller 12 and OC10 (if you can still find it).
    Is OC10 on the way out? If so, I'm bunkering! It just underwent a label overhaul, too.

Does anyone know about this?
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut