Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Rank the wheated bourbons.

Quote Originally Posted by scopenut View Post
    I'm one of the seemingly few who prefer wheaters (by a slight margin).
    I'm with you Kevin and Nick!
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Connoisseur

[quote=jburlowski;112863]
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    BTAC is an acronym for Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. It is a collection of bourbon that is put out usually every fall by BT. It consists of Sazerac Rye, Thomas Handy Rye, Eagle Rare and George T. Stagg.quote]

... and William Larue Weller.

Thanks, John. Missed it.

Guru

Well, if you hadn't put the condition that the list be current, my list would be longer.

WLW '06
    Pappy 15
    ORVW 10
    Weller Antique
    Weller 12 (Binny's)

As for older/out of production, my top favorite is SW Old Fitz BIB, followed by ORVW 15
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Hi Folks,

This was the thread that got me to finally sign up here. The wheated are my favorite!

PVW 15
    PVW 20
    Weller Centennial 13 year "Julio's"
    RVWFR "lot b"
    Weller Antique 107

going to try some ORVW 10/107 this weekend as I'm doing a bourbon run with a buddy to Boston (about 2 hrs away) Anyone think it's worth $35 vs $19 for Weller Antique?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Hi Folks,

This was the thread that got me to finally sign up here. The wheated are my favorite!

PVW 15
    PVW 20
    Weller Centennial 13 year "Julio's"
    RVWFR "lot b"
    Weller Antique 107

going to try some ORVW 10/107 this weekend as I'm doing a bourbon run with a buddy to Boston (about 2 hrs away) Anyone think it's worth $35 vs $19 for Weller Antique?

James, I would say it's worth buying one. At $35 for ORVW 10/107, that's more than steep. More like highway robbery. Here in CT, the highest I've seen it is $29.99. The lowest, $25.49. The store that had the latter price, I purchased four bottles. However, if you haven't tried it then, in my opinion, you've got to try it once. After that, if it's the same price, I'd say pass. But, it is better than the Antique. Those two are my every day pours, if ever I had one.

P.S. I agree with you that the 15 is better than the 20. This is just my opinion but I think the 10/107 is better than the 20.
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 03-10-2008 at 19:09.

Virtuoso

James, I would say it's worth buying one. At $35 for ORVW 10/107, that's more than steep. More like highway robbery. Here in CT, the highest I've seen it is $29.99. The lowest, $25.49. The store that had the latter price, I purchased four bottles. However, if you haven't tried it then, in my opinion, you've got to try it once. After that, if it's the same price, I'd say pass. But, it is better than the Antique. Those two are my every day pours, if ever I had one.

P.S. I agree with you that the 15 is better than the 20. This is just my opinion but I think the 10/107 is better than the 20.
    The 10/107 better than the 20? Now you've peaked my interest. btw - I'm out in Western Ma- any stores in Ct that you can recommend within driving distance with a good selection... any with an online menu?

I'm enjoying some PVW 15 as we speak, man I love this stuff!

Connoisseur

The 10/107 better than the 20? Now you've peaked my interest. btw - I'm out in Western Ma- any stores in Ct that you can recommend within driving distance with a good selection... any with an online menu?

I'm enjoying some PVW 15 as we speak, man I love this stuff!

James, the PVW 15 is the best of the VW's in my opinion.

Unfortunately, James, I'm located in Eastern CT instead of Western so I really don't know of any places. And in my location, all the VW's are gone sans the Lot B and 20.

As far as online stores go, you should try Binnys.com, Samswine.com, Shoppersvineyard.com. Also check the following link. After clicking, scroll down to "Retailer Web Sites and Links." http://www.buffalotrace.com/guide_links_m.asp

That should help you out somewhat.

Mark

P.S. Sam's Wine has ORVW 10/107 for $29.99. In the end, you'd be paying the same once shipping was included.

Check these prices out. Do not buy from here!!!! These prices rival Internet Wine's: http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/Qstore.cgi
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 03-10-2008 at 19:42.

Virtuoso

Thanks Mark. I used to live in south county RI and know a store in Warwick that has great bourbon deals. If you're not too far you might make a trip. Here's the site... Cheers!

btw - MA doesn't allow out of state shipments of booze :-(

Connoisseur

Thanks Mark. I used to live in south county RI and know a store in Warwick that has great bourbon deals. If you're not too far you might make a trip. Here's the site... Cheers!

btw - MA doesn't allow out of state shipments of booze :-(

Thanks, James!

Too bad about your inability to receive out of state alcohol shipments. Though, CT doesn't allow it either but Shoppersvineyard will ship to me as well as others. Binny's and Sam's won't, however. I am not saying take the chance but just letting you know.
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 03-10-2008 at 19:49.

Virtuoso

Wink Re: Rank the wheated bourbons.

Thanks, James!

Too bad about your inability to receive out of state alcohol shipments. Though, CT doesn't allow it either but Shoppersvineyard will ship to me as well as others. Binny's and Sam's won't, however. I am not saying take the chance but just letting you know.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Just an FYI on that site in Warwick.... make sure to call ahead for availability because not everything online is in stock but the prices are pretty good if they have it