Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Bulleit vs. Four Rose

I just poured some Bulleit.... Loved it.... and followed it with Bartons VOB BIB...... thought the Bulleit was much better, and the barton's was ok, but there was a bite. I then had Four Roses Yellow Label and to me it tasted like the Bartons but without the bite. I am thinking at least right now, I like the Bulleit better than the 4Roses. but I am learning..... any comments?

Guru

Re: Bulleit vs. Four Rose

Quote Originally Posted by fogfrog View Post
    I just poured some Bulleit.... Loved it.... and followed it with Bartons VOB BIB...... thought the Bulleit was much better, and the barton's was ok, but there was a bite. I then had Four Roses Yellow Label and to me it tasted like the Bartons but without the bite. I am thinking at least right now, I like the Bulleit better than the 4Roses. but I am learning..... any comments?
    Well, I am not a big Bulleit fan... but I would recomend you compair the Bulleit to the Four Roses Small Batch since the are closer in cost...

I think you find the small batch the better of the two...

Enthusiast

thanks spun!... actually, the bulleit I got for about 11 a pint. But .... I happen to also have a bottle of small batch so will do the test. What I have yet to procure is the single barrel which we have a specialty bottling of for Mcscrooges here in Knoxville ... Yes, I LOVE 4ROSES small batch.... The Bourbon Guru at my liquor store said he liked Yellow Label, so I bought it too. Right now I am drinking Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond and the first sip was ok, the second sip is AWESOME!!!!! but I agree... the 4Roses small batch is superior, but around here, Bulleit is like 21 bucks and 4Roses I am guessing 27? Single Barrel is 36....... do you recommend I buy Single Barrel? It will become my most expensive buy..... Thanks!

Guru

I did. It is another step up from the small batch. I have grown to really like the Four Roses products...

It would be something you will enjoy if you like the small batch.

Connoisseur

thanks spun!... actually, the bulleit I got for about 11 a pint. But .... I happen to also have a bottle of small batch so will do the test. What I have yet to procure is the single barrel which we have a specialty bottling of for Mcscrooges here in Knoxville ... Yes, I LOVE 4ROSES small batch.... The Bourbon Guru at my liquor store said he liked Yellow Label, so I bought it too. Right now I am drinking Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond and the first sip was ok, the second sip is AWESOME!!!!! but I agree... the 4Roses small batch is superior, but around here, Bulleit is like 21 bucks and 4Roses I am guessing 27? Single Barrel is 36....... do you recommend I buy Single Barrel? It will become my most expensive buy..... Thanks!

Fog, I have the McScrooges Four Roses Single Barrel and it's very good. Definitely give it a try.

Enthusiast

I would certainly try the FR1B. It is a cut above the Small Batch in my book. I haven't yet had the yellow label but I have had Bulliet. It has been awhile but I don't think I cared for it. I say that because it has been awhile and I haven't gone out of my way to pick more up.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

4Roses I am guessing 27? Single Barrel is 36....... do you recommend I buy Single Barrel? It will become my most expensive buy..... Thanks!
    I recommend you drive over the state line to buy your bourbon!

Taster

As for Four Roses, the single barrel has alot more going on (flavor and proof) than the small batch, I much perfer the single.

Bulleit is made by Four Roses. I think same recipe as the yellow with diffenet yeast, IIRC.
    Diageo buy bulk bourbon from FR and then what they do with it is up to them.
    Jim Rutledge said they are always asking for more bourbon that they get supplied.

Is Bulleit still 90 proof in the States?

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

I think that Bulleit is an excellent substute for Four Roses if need be. Not as good, but most definitely recognizable as a Four Roses product.

I often find Bulleit miniatures for 99 cents, which is a great deal. I have found that airation really opens up this brand. If I drink half of a mini, then leave it alone for a week, the rest of the mini is substantially more flavorful.

I was going to do a social experiment at the last festival, but was too lazy to set it up. I was going to fill a 750ml bottle half way with Bulleit and let it 'open up' for a couple weeks. I wanted to then bring it to the Gazebo and do a blind tasting. I'm pretty sure most people would have liked it and then debated which variation of Four Roses it was.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)