Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Bulleit vs. Four Rose

Quote Originally Posted by fogfrog View Post
    I just poured some Bulleit.... Loved it..... any comments?
    I bought a mini of this about three weeks ago and I liked it alot. I think I like high rye recipes.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Four Roses famously makes ten bourbons, using two mash bills and five yeast strains. The Four Roses yellow label contains all ten. Bulleit contains only the five that use the high rye mash bill.

But, yes, the first thought whenever I drink Bulleit is that it is unmistakably Four Roses.

Novice

All the Four Roses products are good but I prefer the Single Barrel. It is my favorite Bourbon. It has a great taste.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Bulleit is made by Four Roses. I think same recipe as the yellow with diffenet yeast, IIRC.
    Diageo buy bulk bourbon from FR and then what they do with it is up to them.
    Jim Rutledge said they are always asking for more bourbon that they get supplied.

Is Bulleit still 90 proof in the States?

Scott
    Bulleit is still 90 proof yes...

Does Jim Rutledge make Bulleit out of 4Roses? I don't understand that comment.

Well tonight I had some more 4Roses yellow label all alone and liked it very much.

My company does have a job in Maysville KY. Maybe I should visit that job and visit some store as well.... anyone know a good stopping place in KY that is enroute from Knoxville?

I guess Saxton is on the border. Otherwise I will go by Lexington, Richmond,Paris.... Maysville

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Jim Rutledge runs the Four Roses Distillery and the Four Roses Distillery makes Bulleit so, yes, Jim Rutledge makes Bulleit. The mixture they do for Bulleit is unique, in that it is the high rye mash bill fermented with each of the five different yeasts, but it's all the same whiskey. That's the nice thing about them making ten distinct bourbon formulas. They can create an almost unlimited range of different flavor profiles.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Earlhickey View Post
    All the Four Roses products are good but I prefer the Single Barrel. It is my favorite Bourbon. It has a great taste.
    Really, I was drinking the Yellow label tonight and was trying hard to find something about it I liked and came up with nothing.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Really, I was drinking the Yellow label tonight and was trying hard to find something about it I liked and came up with nothing.
    I used to keep a bottle of yellow label (got it dirt cheap whenever I went to mainland Europe) incase someone asked me for a "JD and coke" (bearing in mind JD costs the equivalent of around $35 here for a 70cl) and every now and then I'd have one over ice. I kind of agree that it always left me a bit nonplussed but if I splashed some coke into it it had a lovely caramelish tang. Much better to mix than JD in my opinion.
    "Always remember, I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." - Winston Churchill

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post

The Yellow label is FR's entry level bourbon. It is not intended to be a "blow your head off" drink. They are shooting for the smooth and mellow market. This is a very well balanced and easy to approach bourbon for those who are desiring a laid back situation and 80 proof.

It might be better for you to try their mid to top shelf products...where they are bottling for robust and full flavored products in the 90-100proof range.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Mozilla is right.
    I think the FR yellow label is real good on the rocks.
    The Small Batch however is not a good pour, IMHO.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Four Roses famously makes ten bourbons, using two mash bills and five yeast strains.

In addition to the ten options that Jim has to choose from....they also barrel the whisky at three different barrel proofs: 105-110-120.

This bumps the options to 30. Very impressive how versatile Four Roses has positioned themselves. If they could get out from under the Diageo contract....who knows what kind of line-up they could consistently produce. They could eventually be a mini Seagrams if they expanded their warehousing and bottling capabilities.

ps FR has no capacity to bottle Bulleit for Diageo. So, that means they are either shipping them tanker trucks or barrels of bourbon. Also, they are sending Diageo their worst product and keeping the best for their labels.
    Last edited by mozilla; 08-11-2008 at 06:35.

Jeff Mo.