Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Which is better (Taste)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Macallan 18 Year

9 39.13%
  • Glenfarclas 25 Year

14 60.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which One

Which One

I'm trying to decide between The Macallan 18 & the Glenfarclas 25. Please give your input, and please say why.

GoodDram

Connoisseur

Re: Which One

Mac 18 is one of the finest examples of a single malt and sherry casking. If you want an older whisky with great depth and not as chewy ans sherried as mac 18, then gf 25 is your dram.

Advanced Taster

I would go with the Glenfarclas 25. I think the Macallan 18 is a very good dram but IMO it is overhyped and overpriced (and overmarketed). My buddy always has the Glenfarclas 17 & 25 on hand and we enjoy both expressions although the 25 does take the cake...

Want to try an incredible sherried whiskey? Go for the Aberlour A'bunadh. It is incredible!

Glenfarclas takes the lead, 3 to 2.

Connoisseur

I have both and each are good in their own way, Macallan for the sherried style and Glenfarclas for a ex-bourbon casked dram. I tend to lean toward bourbon casked scotch in general and would have to vote for the Glenfarclas. If you are overseas the Glenfarclas 30 isn't that much more then the 25, or at least it wasn't when I bought mine.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

I voted for MaCallan 18, but great whisky can be found for much cheaper than either one of them. MaCallan 18 has had a big boost in sales in the last few years and the price has almost doubled, frankly I don't think it warrants the $130 price tag but it is tasty. If you are looking for something older, I'd recommend Highland Park 25, but it is around $300, pretty dang expensive.

What Scotches do you currently have and what do you like?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston View Post
    I voted for MaCallan 18, but great whisky can be found for much cheaper than either one of them. MaCallan 18 has had a big boost in sales in the last few years and the price has almost doubled, frankly I don't think it warrants the $130 price tag but it is tasty. If you are looking for something older, I'd recommend Highland Park 25, but it is around $300, pretty dang expensive.
    I agree with these sentiments exactly.

I'll add that Highland Park 18 is well below the price of either of these (think half the price), and I much prefer it to the Macallan. If you are generally a sherried whisky fan, Macallan is good. I'm just glad that (so far) the same kind of marketing dollars aren't behind my favorite SMS pours.

Connoisseur

I have tried two cask strength 20+ year old Highland Park offerings at some whisky shows and both were outstanding! HP makes great SMSW. I own the HP 18 and it is wonderful. The 25 is sublime, I tried it at various whisky shows as well, but I don't own it.

Taster

Glenfarclas, but I'd opt for the 21 year old, personally.

I, too have the Highland Park 18. I like it, and it it a great SMSW. But, as was pointed out, it is quite different from Glenfarclas or Macallan. I got the Macallan 18. It is a great sherried malt. Worth $150? Well, I dunno about that. I hope to eventually pick up the Glenfarclas, too . Thanks all for your input.