Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Sam Adams Black Lager

Another winner from Sam Adams. We saw this in the cooler at Sam's and since we tend to like their beers decided to take a chance. We opened one with our pizza dinner and really liked it.This is a "schwarzbier", a German style literally translated to "black beer". It's lightly hopped and very dark. Different from the also very dark Porter and Stout, which are both heavily hopped. Reminds me a little of Heineken Dark.Again, overall, we're big fans of Sam Adams, including the Light. About the only ones we're not crazy about are the ones with some fruit flavor.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Re: Sam Adams Black Lager

I tried another brand of "black lager" and found it too sweet for me, with a lot of chocolate notes. My wife likes it though...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Administrator in exile

I don't think a true schwarzbier should ever taste "sweet." Try a Kostritzer for a classic example of the style.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Enthusiast

Plus One for Kostritzer Schwarzbier. Jeff is correct it shouldn't be sweet or chocolaty, just a smooth flavorful beer.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Connoisseur

I'll have to look for Kostritzer for comparison. I think a hint of chocolate is ok, however.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Disciple

I too like Sam Adams Black Lager and other scharwzbier. I think some notes of dark, unsweetened chocolate are ok in a schwarzbier - it's from the darkly roasted malt. It should not be sweet like some (usually milk/cream) stouts or porters, however.

Goethe supposedly was a fan of Kostritzer Schwarzbier.

Heineken Dark is more of a dunkel (aka Munich Dunkel Lager); although I am not a big fan of Heineken Dark specifically, dunkels are one of my favorite beer styles. They are darker than many lagers, but generally not as dark as schwarzbier. My everyday beer is Hofbräu Dunkel. I also like Harpoon Munich Dark quite a bit, particularly from a growler filled at the brewery.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru

Thisw is not new this year is it... I am pretty sure I have had this on teh SA parade of beer... then again each day my mind begins to fade....

Disciple

No, it has been out for several years.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Here in Texas, Shiner inroduced a Black Lager this year. On tap, I tried to figure out the slightly sweet taste I was getting even though it had a dry finish. After 1 pint, the best I could call it was like a slightly burnt caramel....rich without being creamy sweet. Not many places carry it on tap, but worth a try if you see it.

Randy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Another winner from Sam Adams. We saw this in the cooler at Sam's and since we tend to like their beers decided to take a chance. We opened one with our pizza dinner and really liked it.This is a "schwarzbier", a German style literally translated to "black beer". It's lightly hopped and very dark. Different from the also very dark Porter and Stout, which are both heavily hopped. Reminds me a little of Heineken Dark.Again, overall, we're big fans of Sam Adams, including the Light. About the only ones we're not crazy about are the ones with some fruit flavor.

Hey BT,

I've found that most beer Sam Adams makes I do not like. The Lager is by far the best. Heck, it the original from Koch's Great Grandfather or something like that. Most of the other beers a plain and ordinary. Though, I do like the Cream Stout, Holiday Porter and Old Feziwigh (sp?). The latter two, however, only come in mix 12-packs.

The Lager is one of my favorite beers, though. I just think sometimes the Boston Beer Co. gets caught up in putting out tons of beer. The Brown Ale, for example, is brown and it's an Ale but it has absolutely no flavor. the Light I find interesting. A ton of flavors comes at you and then it's gone for good. It's liking cracking open a nut to find nothing inside.

Not knocking your tastes or Sam Adams, but I just think they get caught up in guantity sometimes.

Mark