Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Knappogue - any thoughts?

I decided to get a 50 ml of this brand. I must say not having much experience of Irish whiskey this stuff is very very nice. Upon pouring it into my glass I immediately get a strong "green apple" aroma. The drink itself is very light and smooth, hardly any burn at all. Not a harsh note to be had. All in all I will go out and get at least 2 bottles- 1 to drink immediately and 1 to have for later lol. But the other real question, from here where do I go for moderately priced Irish fare? I have also picked up a Michael Collins 50ml but not sampled it yet.

Taster

Re: Knappogue - any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenjayhawk View Post
    Upon pouring it into my glass I immediately get a strong "green apple" aroma.

But the other real question, from here where do I go for moderately priced Irish fare?
    I get a candied green apple taste (think Jolly Rancher) as well as caramel from Powers Gold Label and it is only $17 where I live. I'm not all the way through the bottle yet, but I've enjoyed every single pour so far (even if the preceeding drinks were high-proof bourbons or ryes). I finished off a bottle of Redbreast 12 before I bought the Powers, and while it is more complex, I find the Powers quite delicious in its simplicity.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
    Powers Gold Label and it is only $17 ... I find the Powers quite delicious in its simplicity.
    Power's is one of the great classics in whiskey. Much eponymous "power." Putatively 60% pot still (Murray).

Sadly, there seems to be a hole in my cabinet labeled "Power's." I must remedy that.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Apprentice

I decided to get a 50 ml of this brand. I must say not having much experience of Irish whiskey this stuff is very very nice. Upon pouring it into my glass I immediately get a strong "green apple" aroma. The drink itself is very light and smooth, hardly any burn at all. Not a harsh note to be had. All in all I will go out and get at least 2 bottles- 1 to drink immediately and 1 to have for later lol. But the other real question, from here where do I go for moderately priced Irish fare? I have also picked up a Michael Collins 50ml but not sampled it yet.
    Did the 50ml have a year on it?
    Knappogue 92 was great. If you tried that you got lucky!
    I am hearing good things about 95 but I have not tried it yet.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisk(e)y in case of a snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake" - W.C. Fields

Taster

Mine was a 1994.

Apprentice

Mine was a 1994.
    The 94 is good so if you liked that I can now say (since i tried it this past weekend) you should really like the 95
    ryan
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisk(e)y in case of a snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake" - W.C. Fields

Enthusiast

I also like the 95 and it's on sale for $19.99. Quite different from the standard Irish offerings. It really took me a couple of nights to appreciate it.

Chris

Taster

Is it just 19.99 locally or someplace online?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    I also like the 95 and it's on sale for $19.99. Quite different from the standard Irish offerings. It really took me a couple of nights to appreciate it.

Chris
    FOR 750ml? IF that's true that is an unreal price.
    Buy all you can.

Guru

I tasted Knappogue at WhiskyFest and found it a pleasant Irish Whiskey....a summertime drink being lighter in body, sweet.