Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Bourbon for mixing

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    That Old Crow took a long time to get down.

Ed
    Here is how I drank that Old Crow. I didn't try to make mixed drink per say. I didn't pour it in coke. I tried to fix it.

A few shakes of Orange Bitters and few shakes of Vanilla extract, a little, really very little, simple syrup and some ice. It wasn't too bad then.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Novice

For mixing. I reach for good ol' Jim Beam. The regular white label. It has never let me down in a mix.

Thanks guys. Now I feel a lot better about going out and buying me some cheap booze. I think I'll try Evan Williams Black first. If that doesn't work out, I'll move up to Jim Beam.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mixologist View Post
    Thanks guys. Now I feel a lot better about going out and buying me some cheap booze. I think I'll try Evan Williams Black first. If that doesn't work out, I'll move up to Jim Beam.
    I really like EW black on the rocks, and I've heard it makes a good mixer (my motto: never mix, never worry). In my mind, you'd be taking a step down to go to JB white.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

For mixing, I usually go with Old Forester. A buddy of mine got me hooked on OF and Coke in college, and I haven't been able to break that habit. Now that I have added a few lbs I tend to lean toward OF and Coke Zero, which tastes about the same.
    ____
    Chris

Virtuoso

I'd suggest W.L. Weller Antique 107 proof. It's a great sipping bourbon and at $19 a bottle you won't feel guilty for pouring something in with it.
    Cheers.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Weller is a good call as a mixer!
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    I really like EW black on the rocks, and I've heard it makes a good mixer (my motto: never mix, never worry). In my mind, you'd be taking a step down to go to JB white.
    I agree with Jeremy that Beam White is a step down from Evan Williams Black. I think Evan Williams Black is a good mixer, though I haven't had it since it lost the age statement.

I like to mix with Jim Beam Black. It's good enough that I think it adds a little something to the drink, but cheap enough that I don't feel bad mixing with it. Wild Turkey 101 works too.

And I do think I can tell the difference between good bourbon and bad in a bourbon and Coke. Old Crow and Coke sounds pretty nasty to me.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

What's this nonsense with Evan Williams removing the age statement from there whiskey? I am reluctant to even try it now that this has happened. I can see no other reason for them to do this other than to save money. Has anyone here try the aged-labeled vs. the non-age-labeled? Did you notice a difference? I would think there would have to be some difference.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by mixologist View Post
    What's this nonsense with Evan Williams removing the age statement from there whiskey? I am reluctant to even try it now that this has happened. I can see no other reason for them to do this other than to save money. Has anyone here try the aged-labeled vs. the non-age-labeled? Did you notice a difference? I would think there would have to be some difference.
    EW BL has always been my first choice as a bourbon-and-coke whiskey, but now that they've gone NAS (no, I haven't tried it), I'll probably switch to EW WL (BIB). It's only 50 cents more and you know exactly how old it is.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms