Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

American (Blended) Whiskey

One type of U.S. whiskey rarely discussed here is American Whiskey by which I mean U.S. blended whiskey such as Seagram Seven Crown, Kessler's, Barton's, and there are many others.

Will anyone admit to drinking blended whiskey? I do. While I can't get in Canada any American blends, I always buy a different one when in the States to see what it is like.

I find there is a range of quality. I like all the ones mentioned and find Barton's examples (there are at least two) particularly good.

For those who drink it, how do you take it? Neat, in a cocktail?

We are plumbing the lower shelf (in comparison to bourbon) but there are some good blends out there and I'd be interested in people's reaction pro and con but either way, state why you like or don't like blends, and how you drink them.

Gary

Re: American (Blended) Whiskey

I should answer my own question, which is that I like a good blend because it offers a taste similar to bourbon but in a milder way. Sometimes I want a milder taste when sampling whiskey. In those moods, I might go for a Canadian whisky, or an American blended one.

I find Kentucky Gentleman, the blended version (since it comes in a bourbon iteration too) particularly good. It is I believe 51% bourbon. Some American whiskeys are that high in bourbon or other straight whiskey. Most will contain between 20 and 30% straight whiskey (the rest may be neutral spirits, green whiskey, aged whiskey, flavoring and so forth).

It is easy to make one's own blended whiskey (e.g., 1 part any bourbon, 2 parts vodka, dash flavoring of some kind, say Southern Comfort) but I like trying the proprietary flavors offered by the distillers.

Gary

Guru

Gary,
    I will bring a "Philadelphia" brand blend made by Continental Distilling along to the Gazebo. This was made by Publicker and highly touted by our Dave Ziegler. This is a 1.75 tax stamped bottle from back in the day. Have a taste and you can be the judge.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Thanks Joe, I look forward to it.

I'll seek out when in Kentucky that weekend some good local blends and we'll do a compare - be a nice denouement for the Sunday night.

Gary

Guru

Back in my college days I used to drink Seagram's 7 quite a bit before discovering the merits of DN 1843 bourbon. I tried to drink it straight at that time but just couldn't. It just didn't taste right but I don't remember exactly why (it was 30 years ago you know). So it got mixed with 7up, Sprite, or Coke. The DN 1843 and WT101 I could drink straight. The only other blended whiskeys I consumed with any regularity were Crown Royal, Canadian Club and Canadian Mist. All were dunked in the same manner as the 7. Of course the Crownie was for special occasions though.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

When I received my monthly influx of money for school, it was a couple of cases of beer (which never saw the Monday after the first weekend I had it, BTW) and a 1.75 of Kessler's. Seldomly, did I drink it straight. A shot now and then to jump start the buzz, but mostly mixed with 7-UP or mixed into whiskey sours. I remember a powdered sour mix I used to use, that I thought was quite good. Lord knows what I would think of it today. In the first decade (Oh God, how depressing that sounds) after college, I upgraded (if you want to call it that) to Seagram's 7 or VO. Not much in the blended category since, though I probably have something buried in the back of the bar.

JOE

Advanced Taster

I've heard that Kentucky Gentleman is a good blend. The Beverage Testing Institute tasting gave it 88 pts. It's the only American blend on their recommended list. Here's their description:

Medium Amber color. Perfumed and fruity with clean roasted nut and caramel, and dried cherry flavors with a smooth finish. Nice oaky flavor evidences solid aging. Well done.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you're curious about American blended whiskey, make your own. Take one part bourbon and add two parts vodka. Voila! That's American blended whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Having grown up in KY, blends have never really been part of my repetior. I've had a few, ET most notably as my uncle drinks it, but at the lowest end of the bourbon shelf the bottles only cost cents more than the lowest end of the blend shelf.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

ET is not a bourbon, nor is it a blend. It is straight bourbon in virtually every respect. It is, in effect, 80% bourbon and 20% bourbon mash whiskey aged in used barrels. A typical blend is 35% straight bourbon and 65% GNS, although the GNS may have spent a few months in used barrels.