Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Re: Howdy from PA

Hello Neighbors.

I am also from PA, just outside of King of Prussia near the Montgomery/Chester county border. I am a whiskey fan in general, but have lately began focusing on bourbon. I have tried Basil Hayden, Maker's Mark, and Ridgemont 1792. I am glad to hear there are some "locals" that share my enjoyment.

On another note, I notice that not too many people like bourbon. While I am not a "yuppie", I am a successful professional and I feel that alot of my yuppie peers pretty much write off bourbon and seem to think scotch is the only decent whiskey. Most of them admit to never even trying it. What is that all about? Has anyone else experienced this?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mixologist View Post
    Hello Neighbors.

I am also from PA, just outside of King of Prussia near the Montgomery/Chester county border. I am a whiskey fan in general, but have lately began focusing on bourbon. I have tried Basil Hayden, Maker's Mark, and Ridgemont 1792. I am glad to hear there are some "locals" that share my enjoyment.

On another note, I notice that not too many people like bourbon. While I am not a "yuppie", I am a successful professional and I feel that alot of my yuppie peers pretty much write off bourbon and seem to think scotch is the only decent whiskey. Most of them admit to never even trying it. What is that all about? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Hey Mixo and belatedly to Jaysus,

Welcome to the board! I am in Chester Co., way down by the Md and De border.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mixologist View Post
    Hello Neighbors.

I think it's called snobbery
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Guru

I think it is great... more for us!!! welcome to the board... a little Parker in y'alls honer tonight

hmm, Snobbery? Yeah.....I just didn't want to say it. It's important that we realize that there are some people out there that are just BETTER than us because they only drink scotch.

I don't discriminate, I like almost any decent whiskey.......and I think it's foolish not to appreciate what we make RIGHT HERE in the US of A.

Guru

Re: Yet another new PA member

Welcome Mixologist. Always great to have another victim of the PALCB here. One of these days we've got to gather up some of the Eastern PA. folks for a tasting.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Welcome Mixologist. Always great to have another victim of the PALCB here. One of these days we've got to gather up some of the Eastern PA. folks for a tasting.
    Joe
    I second it.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum.. Great bunch here!

I am up for a tasting. I think there are some places around the Main Line area if you guys wanted to meet at a well-stocked bar.

BTW, I am not a victim on the PALCB. I work in NJ and often stop by a store on the way home to pick up some hooch. Cheap prices and great selections over there.

Speaking of tasting, I was conducting my own last night with my limited supply of whiskey. Among other booze, I sampled my small whiskey stash (minus my unopened scotch). I compared Rittenhouse Rye with Jameson 12 year an Ridgemont 1792. I liked the Ridgemont the best, then the Rittenhouse, and the Jameson (the oldest, too) was the worst of the bunch.

No doubt, I am a bourbon man. I am interested to see how a good bourbon would compare with a good scotch. That would be for another day.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PAspirit1 View Post
    Hey Mixo and belatedly to Jaysus,

Welcome to the board! I am in Chester Co., way down by the Md and De border.

Hi!

GDB PALCB