Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Hello from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Knutzen View Post
    Local tasting club? I'm down.

OK, I nominate you to buy the first bottle. I am thinking about trying the Wellers Reserve.....

Apprentice

OK, I lied. The local liquor store did not have any Wellers, so I picked up a Russell's Reserve 10yr. I'll let you know what my noob palate thinks....

Apprentice

I too am new to bourbon, but wouldn't mind setting up some tastings. I think it would be a good way to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by RM High View Post
    OK, I lied. The local liquor store did not have any Wellers, so I picked up a Russell's Reserve 10yr. I'll let you know what my noob palate thinks....
    I have a fairly new bottle of the Weller Special Reserve.

Has anyone tried the Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey? I have seen it in a few stores, but don't have $50+ to drop on it. I would be interested to see some notes on it.

-R

Novice

I haven't tried it, but the distillery is right in downtown Denver. We should get together and do a tour of it or something.

Apprentice

I've heard some good things about Stranahan's. Did any of you catch the Modern Marvels special on whiskey? The whiskey guru at the end (the show's expert I guess) seemed pretty impressed. But, $50+ is a lot to shell out without trying it first.

Ryan, let me know what you think about the Weller's.

perhaps when my cover band is out and playing again, maybe we could get some of the Colorad(o)ans out for a night of drinking.

B

Enthusiast

I'm a former Fort Collins/Centennial/Golden resident.

I got to try the Stranahan's over at Dane's place a few weeks ago. Some may like it, but I found a really offensive port-a-potty odor. Think blue sanitizer. It's a noble attempt, but for my $50, I'd prefer 5/6th of a bottle of something from the Antique Collection.
    Last edited by Dr. François; 03-20-2008 at 12:31.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RM High View Post
    I've heard some good things about Stranahan's. Did any of you catch the Modern Marvels special on whiskey? The whiskey guru at the end (the show's expert I guess) seemed pretty impressed. But, $50+ is a lot to shell out without trying it first.

Ryan, let me know what you think about the Weller's.

perhaps when my cover band is out and playing again, maybe we could get some of the Colorad(o)ans out for a night of drinking.

B
    Whats the name of your cover band?

I did catch the Modern Marvels on whiskey! Until I saw that special I didn't know it was distilled right here in downtown Denver, I figured it was from Montrose or Grand Junction.

I like the Weller. My only downside to is that is seems to lack a strong finish.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    I'm a former Fort Collins/Centennial/Golden resident.

I got to try the Stranahan's over at Dane's place a few weeks ago. Some may like it, but I found a really offensive port-a-potty odor. Think blue sanitizer. It's a noble attempt, but for my $50, I'd prefer 5/6th of a bottle of something from the Antique Collection.
    I don't mind the blue sanitizer odor in a restroom, but don't think I would care for it in my bourbon! Thank you for the notes, I think I will hold on to my $50.

They do do tours during the week by appointment only. I may check out the tour since it is the only distillery anywhere close to here and I won't be in Kentucky any time soon. Maybe I can get a free taste at the tour.

Virtuoso

Hey Ryan welcome to the board from way far away from you. I could not help but notice your quote so I thought you should save your $50 bucks as well because that might be what's in the bottle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They do do

Hope you enjoy youself here it's a great group with a great deal of information. Hope the Colorado folks can put a tasting together, sounds like you have the starting of a big group out there.

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Whats the name of your cover band?

I did catch the Modern Marvels on whiskey! Until I saw that special I didn't know it was distilled right here in downtown Denver, I figured it was from Montrose or Grand Junction.

I like the Weller. My only downside to is that is seems to lack a strong finish.
    The band's name is Scrubbed 'n Fresh.....wierd name but we have a couple of doctor's in the band who thought the name was hilarious. We cover mostly harder, guitar oriented rock. We should be back playing out in a month or two. We just got a new bass player and we're waiting for him to get up to speed.

Regarding the Wellers, the lack of a strong finish is what I find attractive. The Makers Mark I just finished had a nice finish. If it did last any longer, it would've been a distraction to the overall experience. Does that make sense?