Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Hello from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Hey Ryan welcome to the board from way far away from you. I could not help but notice your quote so I thought you should save your $50 bucks as well because that might be what's in the bottle!!

Hope you enjoy youself here it's a great group with a great deal of information. Hope the Colorado folks can put a tasting together, sounds like you have the starting of a big group out there.

Cheers!

Tony
    I hope we can get something going. But, try to convince the wives to let you go out drinking is always a tough thing to do.

Guru

I'm ashamed I hadn't noticed this thread before. Where the heck have all you Colorado bourbonians been for the past year and a half since I moved out here? I'm in Longmont, live by myself with all my children, Booker, Baker, Weller, George T,....

A couple of weeks ago I hosted a small tasting for Traver (Rake) and Jeremy (Dr. Francois) and would happily host another sometmie if you feel like slumming all the way out to Longmont. I keep a bottle or two on hand for visitors you know...

For those of you in deep south Denver I've been to Davidsons and they do have a decent selection. Even farther south in Castle Rock is Bubbles Party House or something like that where I found my first bottle of Colorado Stagg.

One thing I've found about Colorado, is that while it seems there's a liquor store on every block they all tend to stock the same bourbons. And for some reason they all seem to think that Southern Comfort is bourbon when they stock the shelves.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Novice

Dane, I've been too young to be drinking bourbon for the past year and a half! I'm up in Boulder, so Longmont ain't all that far a drive for me. I'd love to get together and share some bourbon with you guys.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane View Post
    I'm ashamed I hadn't noticed this thread before. Where the heck have all you Colorado bourbonians been for the past year and a half since I moved out here? I'm in Longmont, live by myself with all my children, Booker, Baker, Weller, George T,....

A couple of weeks ago I hosted a small tasting for Traver (Rake) and Jeremy (Dr. Francois) and would happily host another sometmie if you feel like slumming all the way out to Longmont. I keep a bottle or two on hand for visitors you know...
    Dane, I grew up Fort Lupton and know the Longmont area fairly well.

I just started drinking bourbon and would say my palette is JV (junior varsity) at best. However, I would like to do some tastings and meet some of the other Colorado bourbon drinkers.
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-24-2008 at 14:56.

Apprentice

Hey Ryan, I think my palate is JV as well. I just got done with some Woodford Reserve and I still like it. So far, I've tried Bookers, MM, Woodford Rerserve, and Russell's Reserve and I like them all. They all have subtle differences, but not one of them has tasted like swill. I mean, is there a bourbon out there that will just rock my world or will they all be just different shades of what I've already tried.

Hmmm, this could get expensive.

Guru

Sometime in the near future I hope to help you discover that with my next tasting. Just a matter of putting the right time together. And yes, it DOES get expensive. When I started I swore I'd never pay more than 45-50 bucks for a bottle. Luckily most fit into that category but I've paid much more on many occasions since. It's not a cheap hobby.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane View Post
    Sometime in the near future I hope to help you discover that with my next tasting. Just a matter of putting the right time together.
    I understand, working with peoples schedule is always the hardest part...

Apprentice

Talking Re: Hello from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by RM High View Post
    Hmmm, this could get expensive.
    So far I have bought Makers's Mark 375ml (ofcourse), Woodford Reserve, WT101 (375ml), Weller Special Reserve (1L) and Buffalo Trace. For the most part have kept it under $25; besides the liter of WR which my wife urged me to get over the 750ml. I have eyed some $30-50 bottles, but haven't taken the plunge, yet.

It may not be any cheaper but, the Whiskey Bar in downtown Denver has 115 whiskeys including some PVW. I may stop by and try some pours before jumping in headfirst.

Here is their list of whiskeys:
    http://whiskeybardenver.com/About.html

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    So far I have bought Makers's Mark 375ml (ofcourse), Woodford Reserve, WT101 (375ml), Weller Special Reserve (1L) and Buffalo Trace. For the most part have kept it under $25; besides the liter of WR which my wife urged me to get over the 750ml. I have eyed some $30-50 bottles, but haven't taken the plunge, yet.

It may not be any cheaper but, the Whiskey Bar in downtown Denver has 115 whiskeys including some PVW. I may stop by and try some pours before jumping in headfirst.

Here is their list of whiskeys:
    http://whiskeybardenver.com/About.html
    Tell ya what....if I get the job I want downtown, I'll meet ya there for a drink. This is my way of tempting fate **gotta get a job, gotta get a job**

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by RM High View Post
    I mean, is there a bourbon out there that will just rock my world or will they all be just different shades of what I've already tried.
    Yes, there is. And chances are that Dane has a bottle of it. I just hope I'm right there next to you when he breaks it out at the next tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That's all good stuff, but I'd urge you to try the Pappy 15 if you decide to take the plunge. The same goes for pretty much anything from the BTAC. I'm still developing that educated palate, I hope, but I think those are clearly a step above and well worth the additional cost.
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators