Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

sipping whiskey vs....?

I saw some posts on 'sipping whiskey'. I guess they say that Jack Daniels is Sipping Whiskey. Well... I am wondering which whiskeys are NOT sipping whiskeys. I am not sure if I am a sipper. Some whiskey's have a lot of bite and you either 'sip' them or you can (but I never do) just down a shot and get it over with! Fine whiskeys like Weller's, Bulleit, 4 Roses etc... I seem to not notice a bite at all! I tend to nearly drink these whiskeys. I found that a lower shelf whiskey such as TW Samuels, I tend to 'aspirate' or 'sip' because to drink it is a little on the rough side. Its like HOT TEA.... you gotta cool it off or something..... Now a richer whiskey say like Basil Haydn's I might sip more because it has so much taste, it doesn't take much to get a lot of flavor! I think the more expensive whiskey's like small batch 4 Roses etc... fall into this category....

So when a person talks about 'sippin whiskey'.... what is that?

Taster

Re: sipping whiskey vs....?

Quote Originally Posted by fogfrog View Post
    So when a person talks about 'sippin whiskey'.... what is that?

My mother used to use that term for scotch, but I think I've mostly heard it used by people who think whiskey is made to be either shot or mixed. Personally, when it comes to JD #7, I can pretty much only get it down by shooting it. I keep some cheap bourbon around like EW black or cheap rye for shooting when my bandmates come over to practice, they'll do shots and I'll just have a glass by my drumset for "sippin" .

Enthusiast

Philadelphia brand American whiskey is not a sipping whiskey, it's a vomiting whiskey.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Philadelphia brand American whiskey is not a sipping whiskey, it's a vomiting whiskey.
    I've never had Philadelphia brand American Whiskey but that made me laugh. I have had a few other "vomiting whiskeys" before.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I've never had Philadelphia brand American Whiskey but that made me laugh. I have had a few other "vomiting whiskeys" before.
    You haven't had real vomiting whiskey until you've had Philadelphia. Load up on Chinese food ahead of time for the full effect. Lo mein works well, just don't chew it too much.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    That got a good chuckle from me, too.

JOE

Advanced Taster

I generally define a sipping whiskey as a whiskey that I want to have one small glass, single to double, to relax with and enjoy over the course of an hour or two. The vast majority of whiskies I have had could fall into this category. Others fall in the category of "need ice to get it down." Never ran into any whiskey to put into the category of "gag and dump" but I'm still young.

Although sometimes I use the term "sipping whiskey" to signify to other people that the whiskey would be wasted with shots (99% of the people I have met didn't know that whiskey could be served in anything other than shot glasses).
    Last edited by Thesh; 03-09-2008 at 12:19.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Thesh View Post
    (99% of the people I have met didn't know that whiskey could be served in anything other than shot glasses).
    I bet they're all vodka drinkers.

Guru

For me, it is anything over ~105 proof. I slowly work them sip by sip vs ~101 and below that I can drink at a pace slightly faster than sipping...

I never mix my bourbons wiht coke, ginger ale, etc... so that may add in another dimention for other folks.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The term "sippin' whiskey" has been used in George Dickel advertising but apparently not to good effect, at least with Fog, who attributed it to Daniel's.

When used colloquially, it simply means good whiskey, one you can enjoy neat, and one that rewards careful consideration. There isn't really a direct antonym, although vomiting whiskey is a good suggestion. Again traditionally, if one wasn't sipping whiskey neat one was mixing it and likely drinking in a social situation, so in the modern context the alternative to sipping whiskey probably is vodka.

Since everything Dickel does is with an eye on Jack, dubbing George Dickel "Finest Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" may have been a shot at Jack, most of which is consumed mixed with Coke, especially in Dickel's heartland, the American South.

They're not really using the phrase now, but one thing they have started to do is follow the name with "George and Augusta Dickel, proprietors."