Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Where's Your Dickel?

only a few bottles of #12 at Sam's HP today
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Any Dickel available in Europe is apparently gray market export, as Diageo's official position is that it is a US-only brand.
    I really wonder why they don’t want to launch it outside USA. Dammed good whiskey and a perfect “bridge” from single malt to American straight whiskey.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Their unsuccessful attempt a decade ago to make it an international brand is why they pulled back. They pretty much left it alone for awhile to find its own level. Nothing lasts forever. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually do start some overseas distribution.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I stopped in a store in Chattanooga, Tennessee today. I noticed that the "Cascade Hollow" Dickel now has a label that is Red in color, instead of the Black. I asked the store owner, and she said that it was just delivered this morning. She said that the Dickel rep stated that due to the "confusion" that the earlier label created, Dickel decided to change the label to the Red color. Maybe, confirmation that they intend on keeping the CH around after stocks of No. 8 are replenished?

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I stopped in a store in Chattanooga, Tennessee today. I noticed that the "Cascade Hollow" Dickel now has a label that is Red in color, instead of the Black. I asked the store owner, and she said that it was just delivered this morning. She said that the Dickel rep stated that due to the "confusion" that the earlier label created, Dickel decided to change the label to the Red color. Maybe, confirmation that they intend on keeping the CH around after stocks of No. 8 are replenished?

JOE
    Ah, so my Black label Cascade Hollow is now a collectors item?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Ah, so my Black label Cascade Hollow is now a collectors item?

And, we know of course, that the black label CH is definitely better tasting. A more rich and flavorful pour, with a longer finish than the Red.

JOE

And, we know of course, that the black label CH is definitely better tasting. A more rich and flavorful pour, with a longer finish than the Red.

JOE
    Troublemaker!!! (I approve, by the way.)

JOE
    Well, the black-label CH is dreck, so I guess the new, younger red-label is just "Ecckk!"

I haven't had it. Is it bad just for being young, or is there more than that wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I haven't had it. Is it bad just for being young, or is there more than that wrong with it?
    It just tasted bad, Chuck, whether from youth (and I've had white dog and young-ish whiskey I liked) or some other factor. Fortunately, I don't have any left (I cooked it as marinade, drowned it in cola, etc.) by which to give a more exact description, and don't hope to buy any more.
    I know at least one member here (who shall remain nameless unless s/he 'outs' oneself) tasted a recent sample of new-make #8 (not Cascade Hollow), and had pretty much the same impression. I think, in that case, it got dumped out.