Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 153
  1. #131
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Dickel #8 haqs been available again here since sometime this summer. If the bourbon ghetto is getting it, evidently it is plentiful. If anyone is still suffering a drought, PM me and I'll send reinforcements!

    Notorious TMH

  2. #132
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Although I have never seen it here before (except one bottle that I think was misplaced with an Iowa refund sticker), two Dickel #8s were sitting on the shelf at my local liquor store yesterday when I went in, sitting right next to my beloved Dickel #12. I was very alarmed and not at all pleased . . . the reason is this:

    Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .

    Thoughts?
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

  3. #133
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,126

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Although I have never seen it here before (except one bottle that I think was misplaced with an Iowa refund sticker), two Dickel #8s were sitting on the shelf at my local liquor store yesterday when I went in, sitting right next to my beloved Dickel #12. I was very alarmed and not at all pleased . . . the reason is this:

    Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .

    Thoughts?
    The owner of your local liquor store is suffering from demensia, that's my thought. That is a great price on the #12. It's $22 state min here. I don't remember exactly what the #8 went for when it was available here, but it was around $15.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  4. #134
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The owner of your local liquor store is suffering from demensia, that's my thought. That is a great price on the #12. It's $22 state min here. I don't remember exactly what the #8 went for when it was available here, but it was around $15.
    Well, we're a control state -- Dickel #12 is $13.99 everywhere you can find it.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

  5. #135
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Maybe since the #8 is being replaced with Cascade Hollow, he thinks he has something rare and jacked up the price.

  6. #136
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Maybe since the #8 is being replaced with Cascade Hollow, he thinks he has something rare and jacked up the price.
    Once again, one corporation controls all of the liquor sales & prices in Maine: The Maine Beverage Company . . . I just checked the price list and Dickel #8 has indeed been added . . . check it out here . . .

    http://www.state.me.us/dafs/bablo/do...-prod-list.csv

    hopefully they won't catch onto how dumb they're being . . .(oh, and of course, they're listed as 12yr & 8yr . . . idiots . . .)
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

  7. #137
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    [quote=TNVoodooChilli;141745] Picked up a bottle of the Cascade Hollow and find it to be pretty good, although I think I prefer the No. 8.

    quote]

    I do agree that CH is pretty good and almost as good as no 8. I did have a side by side with these 2 yesterday. CH was slightly thinner in general and had a little less fruit flavours but was good as all Dickels are and very, very smooth despite being only 3 years old.

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  8. #138
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Dickel #12 is $13.99 here which is a very nice (maybe even incorrect) price . . . I usually see it for around $23 other places. The Dickel #8 was priced @ $19.99! I don't know what it usually goes for, but I had assumed between $12-15 . . . what concerns me is that the local liquor control will recognize their potential mispricing of the #12 and update it - - therefore instead of buying a #8 (which I've been wanting to try again), I picked up two #12s and may very well go back for the rest . . .
    When I revisited my local store, the entire stock of both #8 & #12 was gone, so I went to another place that usually carries the Dickel. Sure enough, they had the #8, too @ $19.99 and, sadly, my fears were confirmed when I saw the price tag for the #12 was now $18.99. Glad I bunkered when I did, hope 5 bottles is enough to last me for a while . . . If I see this anywhere for $13.99 again, I'm grabbing it.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

  9. #139
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    519

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Forgot to include these on my stash post. I found these a couple of years ago. They are all 1984. I have been searching for the 1.75 to complete the set. I found 1 from the 80's, but it did not have the plastic wrap around the cap and the cap looked cracked, so I left it. If anyone has the 1.75, I would be willing to trade. It doesn't have to be an 84, just the 80's or late 70's/early 90's, something like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #140
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726

    Re: Where's Your Dickel?

    Don,
    That is good juice to. I have a few of these I found in Tucson and they are quite good... I gave a few to timOthy... I can see why he likes them...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Dickel No. 12
    By sku in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 10:53
  2. Dickel
    By mike1 in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 14:23
  3. Dickel 10 yr.
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-16-2001, 04:34
  4. Dickel Rx Whiskey
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2000, 10:54
  5. Dickel 10 yr.
    By Chris in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2000, 19:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top