Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Where's Your Dickel?

I had it once and felt it was young-tasting. It seemed not that all that different, from, say the current Ancient Age if you added a little Tennessee character to it. Good for mixing or cooking as Tim said, but not a sipper as I define it.

Gary

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Uh, guys, you're killing my market here... So listen up. Besides being EXTREMELY rare, it has been mentioned that the OLD black label CH may have been from stock that was from a long forgotten rick house at Dickel. Some have said that the flavor profile fits very closely with the revered cheesy, gold foil labeled WT12. Rumor also has it, that there might be a legal issue with the black label CH, that quite possibly could warrant a massive recall of bottles, not unlike the Ridgemont/Ridgeford Reserve controversy of years back. AND, if industry insiders are correct (and when haven't they proven to be), that the black labeled CH, undoubtably could be named "Whisk(e)y of the Year". I can't be certain, but a rating of "99" has been tossed about...

Are we CLEAR now??????

(Oh, BTW, if anyone should be looking for one of these treasured bottles, please PM me.)

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'm not putting it down, just describing its character. If I could buy some I would. There are many whiskeys I buy that have a taste similar to what's described because I don't only like whiskey that tastes of old wood, maple sugar and ashes. I also like whiskey that is less mature than that because it has whiskey taste. Any rarity is a bonus.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-22-2008 at 08:47.

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Uh, guys, you're killing my market here... So listen up. Besides being EXTREMELY rare, it has been mentioned that the OLD black label CH may have been from stock that was from a long forgotten rick house at Dickel. Some have said that the flavor profile fits very closely with the revered cheesy, gold foil labeled WT12. Rumor also has it, that there might be a legal issue with the black label CH, that quite possibly could warrant a massive recall of bottles, not unlike the Ridgemont/Ridgeford Reserve controversy of years back. AND, if industry insiders are correct (and when haven't they proven to be), that the black labeled CH, undoubtably could be named "Whisk(e)y of the Year". I can't be certain, but a rating of "99" has been tossed about...

Are we CLEAR now??????

(Oh, BTW, if anyone should be looking for one of these treasured bottles, please PM me.)

JOE
    I'm in for a case!
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Virtuoso

Meijer in Louisville (and perhaps in their other locations) has the 750ml of No. 12 on sale for under $15.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: Where's Your Dickel?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Troublemaker!!! (I approve, by the way.)
    Thanks, Chuck.
    As good an endorsement, as I could ever hope to receive!

JOE

Connoisseur

I had two pours of Dickel No. 12 this afternoon, "07" stamped on the bottle. I bought them early this year from a store with known high turnover, so it is a recent bottling. It's absolutely fantastic: cocoa, a bit of nuttiness, and deliciously polished oak flavor dancing with a touch of spice. I would assume based on what I've read here that any 12 that's rolled out right now or in the last year would be the same or similar whiskey, and if that's the case, I need to buy more than the 5 bottles I have archived. This current 12 is the best Tennesse whiskey I've ever had (though admittedly I haven't tasted much vintage stuff), and it is among the finest American whiskey being produced today IMO. So, it appears from what I've read that any No. 12 that rolls out in the next year or more will still be from the stocks that have been sitting for a decade or so. If I'm wrong, let me know. In the meantime, I'm going back for more and more and more of this.

Regards,

Disciple

I live in an area (Maine) that is fairly whiskey deficient as far as selection goes and I buy Dickel No. 12 regularly and haven't seen any interruption of supply (thank God!). Of course, it could be back stock, I don't know how popular it is.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I can remember when Dickel was almost as common as Jack, but not anymore. That had nothing to do with the shortage. The brand has been foundering for years.

So, what do people up there drink?

Guru

Dickel may be foundering but I much prefer the No. 12 to Jack. It's just much better whiskey IMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"