Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Where's Your Dickel?

No Dickel ever sighted in Japan. Only been able to find it online, and then only at a half a dozen shops for twice what it goes in the States.

Disciple

Chuck---plenty of #12 here in Maine, but no sign of #8.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    To be frank Dickel is one of my favorite brands and one I taste 5 times a week at the least. I think it is highly underrated, particularly considering the massive marketing campaign that Jack Daniels as seems to have on. If one has not tried some Dickel please do so. It has a nose that lingers in your nostrils, opens your sinuses and hangs in your memory.

maybe it's psychosomatic! someone mentions 'vitamins' and there goes the #12....good, but.......

i prefer (if doing the rare TN venture) the higher end JD.....(i like bananas)
    HUP!

Enthusiast

I have yet to see Dickel return to Chicagoland. But Chuck will already have known this...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If you don't mind, how about a roll call. Who can presently find George Dickel No. 8 brand where they live? Recent sightings only, please.

Be sure to tell us where you are.

Bonus question: is George Dickel Cascade Hollow Recipe available there as well?
    I have only been to one store since you posted this. They had tons of Dickle 12, and tons of Dickle Cascade Hollow, and a few BS bottles, but the only 8 they had was in 50ml. The good thing is the 50ml are only $1.40 so I picked a few up to try.
    Last edited by kickert; 01-05-2009 at 13:51.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I have only been to one store since you posted this. They had tons of Dickle 12, and tons of Dickle Cascade Hollow, and a few BS bottles, but the only 8 they had was in 50ml. The good thing is the 50ml are only $1.40 so I picked a few up to try.
    I just tried these side by side. I like the 8 a whole heck of a lot better than the 12; although the 12 is more "bourbonesque" for me. With the 8 I got a flavor of warm bread with a hint of honey. With the 12 I found more burn and an almost menthol flavor.

Can someone help me out with the vitals here. I have seen the No 8 refered to as 8 years old and the 12 as 12 years old, but my bottles (minis) had no such statement. Is the 12 supposed to be older? How does dickle describe the differences (their website had no product info that I could find.)
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I just tried these side by side. I like the 8 a whole heck of a lot better than the 12; although the 12 is more "bourbonesque" for me. With the 8 I got a flavor of warm bread with a hint of honey. With the 12 I found more burn and an almost menthol flavor.

Can someone help me out with the vitals here. I have seen the No 8 refered to as 8 years old and the 12 as 12 years old, but my bottles (minis) had no such statement. Is the 12 supposed to be older? How does dickle describe the differences (their website had no product info that I could find.)
    I don't have any answers, Ben, but there seems to be a lot of divided opinion about these two bottles....many prefer the No 12, and it seems equally as many prefer the No 8 (I guess that's why both exist). To me the No 12 tastes like maple sugar and cocoa with no burn, just smooth sailing. I'd be really interested to try the No 8 when it gets back into production/circulation....if it's better than the 12, it'll become a staple in the Dennis household.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Novice

Plenty of all four Dickel brands (8, 12, Cascade Hollow and barrel select) at the ABC store I work at part time here in North Carolina.

The 12 is my standard pour, but I just love the Barel Select.

Virtuoso

I stopped at Liquor World (I think) in Bardstown today. They had the Cascade Hollow, the 8, and the 12. The Cascade Hollow had the original black label with a little red text and was not only priced higher than the 8 but was a few cents more expensive than the 12!

Enthusiast

Only Dickel I saw at the local ABC today was the #12 and the Barrel Select
    ____
    Chris