Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilbeggan Irish

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Kilbeggan Irish

I have purchased my yearly bottle of Irish Whiskey for St. Patrick's Day. This year it is Kilbeggan. I first had it over the Holidays at Chateau Elan Resort, and at that time I wasn't overly impressed. Seemed very light, in both color and flavor. The bottle I just purchased has new packaging (very attractive BTW), the color of the whiskey seems a much darker hue, and the flavor is much more robust. As a matter of fact, the flavor is outstanding! Very fruity, and thicker than I remember from earlier. I look forward to comparing it to my other Irish bottles this coming weekend. For now, I think it will stand up very favorably. Can anyone tell me if there has been any change in Kilbeggan recently, other than the packaging?

Cheers!

JOE

Advanced Taster

Re: Kilbeggan Irish

I think all their standard range is getting gradually older as they stocks mature, so I'm sure Kilbeggan has changed over the last few years. I will have to pick up a bottle.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brockagh View Post
    I think all their standard range is getting gradually older as they stocks mature, so I'm sure Kilbeggan has changed over the last few years. I will have to pick up a bottle.
    The first time I tried Kilbeggan it was awful and I haven't tried it since. I believe that this and Tyrconnell are both improving as the product offering becomes more muture.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Disciple

It has been several years since my last bottle of Kilbeggan. I wasn't overly impressed with it but do fondly remember that the stuff does sneak up on you if you consume enough of it. Such is Irish whiskey. I might sample a variety of Irish this St. Patricks day. Jamesons, Jamesons 12, Jamesons 18, Jamesons Gold, Tullamore 12, Powers, Tyrconnel and Clontarf are all in the house!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Kilbeggan from years back wasn't so great. But, the most recent master distiller of the Cooley Distilling Company has made some great strides with their product line, and this is most evident in their mainstream offering, Kilbeggan. Its fruitiness is a pleasant signature, contrasted with Jameson's "cookie" taste and Bushmills' "heather and honey" taste.

I would compare the body of Kilbeggan to the body of tennis star Maria Sharapova-- tall, slender, and elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    The bottle I just purchased has new packaging (very attractive BTW), the color of the whiskey seems a much darker hue, and the flavor is much more robust. As a matter of fact, the flavor is outstanding! Very fruity, and thicker than I remember from earlier. I look forward to comparing it to my other Irish bottles this coming weekend. For now, I think it will stand up very favorably. Can anyone tell me if there has been any change in Kilbeggan recently, other than the packaging?
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thanks for the info, fellas. Is it acceptable for Irish to have coloring added? Do you all think any deepening of color I have noticed is a result of it's maturing stock only, or could it be coloring? Regardless of the answer, it doesn't matter to me, in that I think this "new" Kilbeggan is very good.

Slainte!

Joe

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Thanks for the info, fellas. Is it acceptable for Irish to have coloring added? Do you all think any deepening of color I have noticed is a result of it's maturing stock only, or could it be coloring? Regardless of the answer, it doesn't matter to me, in that I think this "new" Kilbeggan is very good.

Slainte!

Joe
    I believe coloring is allowed in Irish Whiskey so therefore this is possible.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    I believe coloring is allowed in Irish Whiskey so therefore this is possible.
    Yes, it's allowed. I don't know whether or not Cooley colour their whiskey. I don't think they mature much in sherry casks, so most of their whiskey is light in colour.

Irish Distillers - which owns Jameson, powers, paddy, midleton brands - does not colour any of its aged products.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brockagh View Post
    Yes, it's allowed. I don't know whether or not Cooley colour their whiskey. I don't think they mature much in sherry casks, so most of their whiskey is light in colour.

Irish Distillers - which owns Jameson, powers, paddy, midleton brands - does not colour any of its aged products.
    Are you sure? I thought I read Jim Murray complaining about coloring in Midleton Very Rare. Or was that carmel flavoring?
    Last edited by DrinkyBanjo; 03-12-2008 at 11:31.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Never tried the Kilbeggan, but Tyrconnell from the same distiller is excellent. Easy to drink, but interesting like a good Lowland malt. I think Tyrconnell is a single malt but Kilbeggan is not. Man, I wish I could make it back to Jersey before Paddy's Day - the Irish whiskey selection at the Pennsy State stores is piss-poor. Likes like I'll be toasting the Auld Sod with Knappogue's Castle (so far unopened and untried) and my usual Irish pour, Redbreast.