Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Ins and Outs of Port

Quote Originally Posted by number7 View Post
    ...I always understood LBVs as a "failed" vintage, meaning it wasn't good enough to declare, so they let it sit in the casks for several more years and then bottled them....
    Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I've seen LBVs from years like 1994 and 1997, both of which yielded many vintage dated ports...
    In fact, the Late Bottled Vintage name originated because the grapes first used with the designation were ones intended for use in Vintage port, but left in the barrel longer than the maximum 2-1/2 years, for whatever reason. In other words, these weren't 'bad' or 'failed' grapes, just unused ones.
    Today, shippers use the additional barrel aging to provide some of the experience of drinking a Vintage port without the long years of wait for bottle aging. It succeeds, to a limited extent, because they do use good grapes.
    Tim

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I second that. A favorite is Alvear. They have a "1927" bottling which is fabulous, all the more so for costing only about $20-22 for a 375ml bottle. These are aged in a solera system, one started in 1927. There are probably only a few molecules of 81yo wine in each bottle.
    This is a great bottle. I have had a few and unfortunately only one more left.
    Bob O.

Novice

Of the Alvear 1927

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O. View Post
    This is a great bottle. I have had a few and unfortunately only one more left.
    That's the one I had in mind. I bought a case; down to the last three or so, so I'm careful about drinking them until I can get a suitable replacement.

Or I should see if I can get more....

I like the Anada (imagine the ~ on the 'n'; I'm lazy right now....). I'd like to get some of the Reserva, but I believe that's hard to find.

I like the idea of the leftovers aspect of the LBV.

Guru

I am not a Port afficionado but I do enjoy on occasion (holidays)...I enjoy
    Galway Pipe Tawny as a nice economical Aussie import.

Here is snapshot:

http://www.winestar.com.au/prod877.htm

Connoisseur

The other night I cracked open a LBV port since this thread made me VERY thirsty! My choice was a Warre's 1999 (bottled in 2003) Late Bottled Vintage. I filtered it through cheesecloth (very little sediment) into a decanter and drank 1/4 of the bottle on the first night. It had strawberry flavors, but was a tad alcoholic and tasted a bit thinner than the other Warre's LBV I had. So far a little disappointed. The next day after a full 24 hour decanting period I went back to it and it had had softened nicely. The taste turned to more of a thicker feel with hints of blackberry and blueberry. The alcohol was turned way down. I finished off the remaining 3/4. All in all, a nice LBV after 24 hours of decanting.