Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hi all from Chicago land

Recently found this site. What a great resource. And the forums seem to be well populated with friendly people.

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself.

I just got done touring many distilleries in Kentucky (Maker's Mark, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, and Jim Beam). That long weekend prompted my casual Bourbon affair to grow into a full blow addiction.

My buddies and I decided that for my long time friend, and whiskey drinkin buddy's Bachelor Party, that we would go on a Bourbon Tour. BTW, Louisville is a great city to have fun in.

I have always been drinking JD and Jim Beam with sprinkles of MM, and Knob Creek. But I had no Idea how vast the Bourbon world had become until recent years.

Now my cabinet is starting to fill up with standard selections such as Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare SB, MM, Woodfor Reserve, Four Roses SB and small batch (just finished a yellow label bottle... what a great value and taste!) baby saz, and GJ. I feel I need a few more rye whiskeys and some more mature single barrel selection to properly fill out the cabinet. Anyone got some suggestions.

One Problem I now have is the wife thinking the cabinet is way over stocked... she even mentioned the word ridiculous How do I go about handling this? I tried to explain why we NEED all these bourbons, but she just thought it was so I could drink more..... well, uh, what do I say to that?

Taster

Re: Hi all from Chicago land

Welcome! & I am glad you enjoyed my city! I will be visiting your city soon!

see Chicago thread - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=8949

Welcome Aboard, Kevin. You will have fun here!
    Glad you enjoyed the tours, would love to do them myself one day.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990Z51 View Post
    One Problem I now have is the wife thinking the cabinet is way over stocked... she even mentioned the word ridiculous How do I go about handling this? I tried to explain why we NEED all these bourbons, but she just thought it was so I could drink more..... well, uh, what do I say to that?
    Hell yeah you need all those bourbons! Plus many more. I'm sure most of our wives have thought that things may have been "ridiculous" at one stage, but then when you have over 100 bottles they realize they were crying over spilt milk.

Then you get over 200 bottles and they realize that there's no point in saying anything any more, because you aren't going to stop.

That's just my experience, anyways.

Using the search function you can find info on almost anything, and there is many great informative posts out there!

As far as more bourbons are concerned, I would recommend going to Binny's at South Loop and talking to Brett Pontoni, he knows his stuff and also hand selects many barrels including many brands from Buffalo Trace.
    I would recommend Elmer T Lee, Weller 12yo and also Old Grandad 114.

Cheers!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Apprentice

Talking Re: Hi all from Chicago land

Welcome to the forums! I am also new to the forums and have already learned a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by 1990Z51 View Post
    When my wife starts in on this I go to the old boredom trick. I start talking about how each bourbon has a different taste and then go in to what I have learned (so far) about the distillers and the history of bourbon, usually around this point she tries to change the subject and I am home free until my next run to the liquor store.

Advanced Taster

One way to justify it is that one bottle of bourbon has about 15-20 pours in it (depending on big you like your shots).

A bottle of wine has 5 pours in it, so bourbon has 3 to 4 more pours than a bottle of wine.

Therefore, a $20 bottle of bourbon is the equivalent of a $5 to $6 bottle of wine. Pretty cheap stuff. Plus, it doesn't have to be consumed all in one evening like wine.

Pick her drink of choice and do the conversion. You win.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I am also new to the forums and have already learned a ton!

When my wife starts in on this I go to the old boredom trick. I start talking about how each bourbon has a different taste and then go in to what I have learned (so far) about the distillers and the history of bourbon, usually around this point she tries to change the subject and I am home free until my next run to the liquor store.
    Ah -- the war of attrition. Genius.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Welcome Kevin - you should find some good advice and recommendations around these parts

Out of interest, how'd you enjoy the Bourbon Trail?

We're flying over from Australia next month and will be doing the Trail when in Kentucky.

Guru

welcome to the band... this is one of may good sites... great bunch of folks... a toast to you... and i envy your proximity to Binny's

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post

We're flying over from Australia next month and will be doing the Trail when in Kentucky.
    The Bourbon Trail was great! We were able to get to 2 distilleries a day. I could see squeezing 3 in a day, but you would have to be well prepared.

I think my favorite was Four Roses. However, they all offered something a little different from each other.

If you can, go to Buffalo Trace during the week and ask for the hard hat tour b/c the normal tour does not take you through the still house. I did not get to go through the hard hat tour... yet.

The short list of things to do:
    Buffalo Trace (2 tours... see above)
    Woodford Reserve (after the tour, drive north on McCracken Pike road to see a closed and run down distillery)
    Wild Turkey
    Four Roses (there are 2 tours: one at the distillery which is near Wild Turkey and one at the bottling/warehouse property near Jim Beam)
    Maker's Mark
    Jim Beam
    Heaven Hill

There is also downtown Louisville which is fun(4th Street alive which is where Maker's Mark has a restaurant)

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Welcome Kevin - you should find some good advice and recommendations around these parts

See the attachment for the information I gathered about the Distillery Tour location, time, and brief info. I was constantly referring to this throughout the tour.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 1990Z51; 03-13-2008 at 08:32.