Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Old Charter 12 90 Proof

Anyone try this bourbon? Its not expensive .... I think its being discontinued.... but it tastes very very premium.... I think it was like 18 a fifth and is super good.

Guru

Re: Old Charter 12 90 Proof

You're right, it's goin away and is very good stuff. A pity, really.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

IIRC, they are interested in getting more $$ for that type of bottling. Old Charter 12 and Eagle Rare 101 were on the inexpensive side of the equation(<$20), which probably lead to their demise. Now that allocation is getting redirected towards higher end products. They range above the $30 mark.

I don't like what's happening.....though it is hard to begrudge BT for developing some very interesting new barrel strength and single barrel labels.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Market economics gentlemen. The producers have a better home (brand) for that 12 year old stuff and the buying public is willing to pay.

Squire

Connoisseur

Not this buying public. I'm picking up OC 12 when I can find it cheap (<$20) before it's all gone. I have a good stash, and I won't be paying for the less-aged (and more $$) ERSB anytime soon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Market economics gentlemen. The producers have a better home (brand) for that 12 year old stuff and the buying public is willing to pay.

Squire
    Average cost of bourbon will get to about $40 within the next couple of years.

You will always have swill, but the bottom end will go down in quality and the medium will be what your $25 bottle is today...

Guru

Bourbon has always been way under priced for its quality. As Bourbon seeks its place on the World stage new demand will drive prices higher so lets enjoy it while we can.

Squire

Guru

Indeed... ... When you look at the cost of wine the last 15 years you can see teh cost rise, but bourbon, for the most part, has kept at a moderate price.

It has become my affordable drink of choice. A $100 of bourbon will last you at least 3 times longer than a $100 bottle of wine (15&#37; vs 45%) and hold without degridation.
    Last edited by spun_cookie; 02-29-2008 at 19:51.

Advanced Taster

I really like Old Charter 12 yr old..Very smooth taste...Havent had any in a while so I might just go get some..Last time I bought it,it was $16...Now its $21 at Liquor Barn...

Connoisseur

IMO it was undervalued at $16 (though I didn't complain). It's still a good value at $21. I daresay there's not another 12yo bourbon of any caliber or 90 proofer of this caliber that's regularly priced at $21 (ERSB comes close on the latter). Extra age and proof don't automatically make a bourbon good, but they're a good place to start...or something like that, right, Chuck?

At any rate, if you're going to want a bottle down the road, buy it now. It's vanishing quickly in these parts: down to maybe 10 bottles (other than some Louisville dusties) in Dallas.